The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Oct. 2nd - 3 Canucks clear, Pedan on waivers

6 minutes ago, mll said:

They have 48 contracts but only 47 count if Juolevi goes back to Juniors.  If he goes to Finland then his contract counts against the limit and they will be at 48.  

The reason to keep flexibility is for the end of the NCAA season - last year they used contracts spots on Molino and Boeser.

ah thanks I thought OJs was off the books either way. cap friendly has him listed as being off the 50 man roster. 

Even still, if we could land KR I'd risk having 49, the kid has some real talent. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

ah thanks I thought OJs was off the books either way.

Even still, if we could land KR I'd risk having 49, the kid has some real talent. 

Gaudette could be in the same situation as Boeser - which would put the Canucks at 50 and out of the NCAA free agency.  Some players prefer to sign with teams who allow them to burn a year of their ELC.  They can create an additional spot by trade but they need to find takers.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Gaudette could be in the same situation as Boeser - which would put the Canucks at 50 and out of the NCAA free agency.  Some players prefer to sign with teams who allow them to burn a year of their ELC.  They can create an additional spot by trade but they need to find takers.

I guess the calculation is if Rychel and Gaudette will be better than any 2018 college UFAs. This years crop wasn't all that spectacular.  

45 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

a free 19th overall pick? yup. 

Perhaps - Yakupov was a free 1st overall pick.   Still need to be careful on organizational needs and where such a talent fits.   I am more intrigued by Subban who I thought was progressing fairly nicely and may be a good push for Demko that the Canucks currently do not have as DP is a long ways off.

With Pedan being on waivers today, I wouldn't be surprised to see Biega on waivers tomorrow.

My guess is that the big team doesn't want to have 3 healthy scratches per night and are willing to risk waivers to move the these guys through. 

58 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

Subban as a development project in the A?

Rychel would be a great addition to Utica, still very young and has had a few good years of pro under his belt.

Anybody know off hand how many contracts Canucks currently have?

players you pick up on waivers have to go to the NHL club or the original team is able to reclaim them and send them down

27 minutes ago, combover said:

Can't see pedan clearing waivers. Fingers crossed he clears but he's had a solid camp and at 24 he played and looked like he "earned it" but we all know PR catch phases from this managment group mean less than nothing.

There is literally zero chance of another team claiming Pedan. Nothing to get worked up about. Chances are he never becomes an NHL regular. He's still a good guy to have in Utica though. Although I imagine he bolts to the KHL next year.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

players you pick up on waivers have to go to the NHL club or the original team is able to reclaim them and send them down

That's true.  So who would Canuck fans want to send down to Utica for Rychel (or anyone else on waivers?) 

Boeser?  Virtanen?

I doubt it. 

8 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

That's true.  So who would Canuck fans want to send down to Utica for Rychel (or anyone else on waivers?) 

Boeser?  Virtanen?

I doubt it. 

Management probably won't but would be great to have them put Biega on waivers to pick up Rychel. He's 22 and still has potential and is what we need going forward.

Biega probably won't get claimed but if he does I'd still do a Biega for Rychel one on on swap. 

25 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Perhaps - Yakupov was a free 1st overall pick.   Still need to be careful on organizational needs and where such a talent fits.   I am more intrigued by Subban who I thought was progressing fairly nicely and may be a good push for Demko that the Canucks currently do not have as DP is a long ways off.

thats because you're a goalie :lol: no i hear you. I tried to find a list of potential NCAA free agents but no luck so its hard to compare with what you'd be potentially losing out on, but Rychel seems like the real deal to me. Decent size, 22, solid AHL numbers just no room on a stacked TO top 6. If we ended up losing Pedan and gaining Rychel or Subban in a trade I think people would be stoked. I also think college free agents are very hard to land and will pick contenders over us nearly every time. Stecher was a rare one. 

Archived