The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rebuild Kicked Off With Acquiring Bo, & Was Completed at 2019 Draft!

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

Just scanned these comments quickly(lots happening today!). Apologies 'Stealth Tank' may have been a poor choice of terms. Essentially, I think the boys have TRIED every season, yet due to diminished depth(transition-phase), they faded badly 3 outa' 4 yrs. Perhaps to view this period as an inadvertant tank is more apropos?

In the end, we added really nice assets at the drafts. Even 2015.. higher finish, yet we land BB & AG.

In the meantime, would say they've kept this team fairly entertaining, despite a nasty downturn. Interesting personalities & a rabid fanbase also partly contributing. Seems there is one more lean yr in the cards, but optimism appears in order.

As a whole(overview) this half-decade has really set the table. Simply date it starting from the big swap at the 2013 draft.

The "stealth" tank WOULD have been while Gillis was here, no goaltending equals a huge drop in the standings without gutting the team of ALL the vets.

This Mickey Mouse management group are just incompetent as demonstrated by trading for a player that was going to be placed on waivers just hours prior to them doing it. And a player that wasn't #11 on that teams depth chart for dmen.

Linden still says it is a rebuild only because the fans want him to use that name, they are still doing the same thing they did before nothing has changed except they are satisfying the fans by using that word.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

If you're speaking of the current regime, it's important to realize that the overall plan is still in place and has never changed.  It has been said many times, that it was not ever a one-dimensional plan that suddenly changed, but rather an overall plan with various identifiable but coherent phases:

1. Start removal/attritioning out of bad contracts and players not wanted moving forward (eg. Garrison).  Bring in some veteran transitional players (eg. Dorsett, Bonino, Sbisa) and some younger ones with upside (Vey, Baertschi, Granlund, Pedan), using draft picks if necessary, to fill holes.

2. Draft and develop new core, continue to move out/attrition contracts and older veterans.  Sign short-term stop-gaps as necessary.

3. Once new core players start arriving, move out remainder of old core as they are replaced.

4. As the new core matures, return to the playoffs and contention.

Again -- the plan never changed, just went through stages because it is a transition from old to new, and yes that means a rebuild (the terms are interchangeable).  We're now finishing stage 2 and entering stage 3.  The Sedins were a unique situation that was not present in the likes of the Oiler and Leaf teams, but once they are gone (as early as the end of this season) the transition will be complete, and development of the new core into a contending team will cue the last stage of the rebuild, stage 4.

Not bad for only 3 years, especially considering where they started from.

Thanks for this.   

I agree with your description of the roll out of the plan.  It is the over arching theme of Benning's tenure and has been a constant.  My thoughts are essentially the same.

I think that there is another layer though which is what I was talking about above. 

22 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

It's not a stealth tank, these were legitimate attempts to get us to the playoffs. 

TL and JB were talking big plans initially, certainly not about the R word, the word they couldn't even sit next to for years.

#Re-thingy.

IMG_0442.JPG.78127d34c9cd6517179ff43e36c902e5.JPG

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 2

On 10/4/2017 at 1:18 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Appears inevitable. By next June the old identity(only 4 guys left now) could be completely gone, & all new toys will be in the toy box. June 2013 ~ '18..stealthy!

It'll be interesting watching Green as the season unfolds this way.

He's going to want to win but some parts of this roster are out of his hands.

How does a young coach yell at our old vets? Tough situation to be in.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

It'll be interesting watching Green as the season unfolds this way.

He's going to want to win but some parts of this roster are out of his hands.

I say he'll coach like a 'closet-GM' if JB & TL give him their word & commitment. He & the nucleus are both young & promising, thus could grow/develop simultaneously. Let's get optimistic & liken him to a mid 70's Al Arbour; TL & JB can play Bill Torrey!

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2017 at 8:40 AM, Toews said:

You better believe it! It's literally the second favorite thing I like to do on the Internet.  B)

Key word being "usually". It's "usually" a passive aggressive way of insulting people. Passive aggressive is simply not my style though. If I want to offend someone I will come right out and say it. 

And in your next post, take that flip-flop self-righteous soapbox tone of yours, as if everyone (everyone else, of course) should play nice ;)

• Upvote 2

On 10/4/2017 at 8:13 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

TL and JB were talking big plans initially, certainly not about the R word, the word they couldn't even sit next to for years.

#Re-thingy.

Here is another great quote on calling out BS:

"Abuse of words has been the great instrument of sophistry and chicanery, of party, faction, and division of society."

John Adams

• Upvote 2

On 10/4/2017 at 8:13 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

#Re-thingy.

LOL.

Yeah, Benning is a real BIG WORDS and smokescreen kinda guy.

You nailed it.

• Upvote 1

Problem is it is like a well built arch without the keystone. 

We have a good group of young guys to drop a top flight prospect or two into, we just have no lottery luck.  Need big guy in the middle and one on D as well, the rest of the team is actually pretty well built, just need the hardest things to get.  (even if OJ and Petterson work out)

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Problem is it is like a well built arch without the keystone. 

We have a good group of young guys to drop a top flight prospect or two into, we just have no lottery luck.  Need big guy in the middle and one on D as well, the rest of the team is actually pretty well built, just need the hardest things to get.  (even if OJ and Petterson work out)

I like to be positive but then I watched the Oilers-Flamers game. The size and skill on the Oiler team is impressive. I understand that their time line is now or within another season but it shows how far Vancouver has to go to be a serious CUP contender. I always compare 'regular season ready' versus 'Cup ready'. Oilers are CUP ready. Van is not even 'regular season ready'. 

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, oldnews said:

LOL.

Yeah, Benning is a real BIG WORDS and smokescreen kinda guy.

You nailed it.

Long words and BIG WORDS are two different things.

competative, win now, playoff team, foundational of which one is true? 

I didn't realize "cuttlefish squirting out ink" were BIG WORDS

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, combover said:

competative, win now, playoff team, foundational of which one is true? 

I didn't realize "cuttlefish squirting out ink" were BIG WORDS

well 'competative' isn't a word.

and 'win now' is a fiction - one straight outta your imagination. 

it's your own ink in your eyes there - if you have a Benning quote with those BIG WORDS, I'd like to see it.

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

well 'competative' isn't a word.

and 'win now' is a fiction - one straight outta your imagination. 

it's your own ink in your eyes there - if you have a Benning quote with those BIG WORDS, I'd like to see it.

"Have them play in a winning environment", "to be competitive", "play meaningful games"

Who knew that being competitive was intended for only two rookies to TRY to make the team not win games?

Who knew that meaningful games meant mind games with the fans? 

Who knew that "winning environment" was to mean it was a win that they still had a job.

Edited by TheGuardian_
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

"Have them play in a winning environment", "to be competitive", "play meaningful games"

Who knew that being competitive was intended for only two rookies to TRY to make the team?

Who knew that meaningful games meant mind games with the fans? 

Who knew that "winning environment" was to mean it was a win that they still had a job.

1*uw0IhpZDi3Oq1NW5GSOGyw.jpeg