The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rebuild Kicked Off With Acquiring Bo, & Was Completed at 2019 Draft!

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

4 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

So...   It isn't misleading to claim our current crop of prospects is the best ever (when it's not even close to the best), but it is misleading to point out a FAR better prospect pool we once had?  Ummm, OK then.

This current crop is better than any prospect group the franchise has ever assembled. That's my opinion..admitting I didn't really start watching until the mid-70's.

If you think the late 70's farm was better..it's certainly your right to say as much. But I'm interested(& skeptical) whether any posters here would agree with you.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

This current crop is better than any prospect group the franchise has ever assembled. That's my opinion..admitting I didn't really start watching until the mid-70's.

If you think the late 70's farm was better..it's certainly your right to say as much. But I'm interested(& skeptical) whether any posters here would agree with you.

15 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

20 year old draft made things much, much easier for the scouts. A couple of good later picks Lidster, Graham ( given away for free.....does that count as a good pick ) and Sundstrom from an era where off shore picks weren't too common.

Sorry to quote myself, but the 20 year old draft era should have had way more hits than misses. Apples and oranges !

• Cheers 1

This is no longer a stealth renewal. 

We have a guy who has no idea of how to run a team. He can draft well. I do wonder though if Brackett has been the most important person in this regard. With Jimbo making the decisions we will see a full blown out in the open dive to the bottom of the league. 

We have a ton of cash tied up in UFA signings who will be here for 4 more years. We may have the worst D core in the league. 

This year will be bad. Real bad.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, appleboy said:

We have a guy who has no idea of how to run a team. He can draft well. I do wonder though if Brackett has been the most important person in this regard. With Jimbo making the decisions we will see a full blown out in the open dive to the bottom of the league. 

We have a ton of cash tied up in UFA signings who will be here for 4 more years. We may have the worst D core in the league. 

We likely finish in the bottom 5 this year before starting to cycle up the year after. Why all the hate for JB? The UFAs can easily be bought out, waived or traded when they get beat out for spots in a couple of years.

The team asked to host the draft after this coming season - pretty sure they have buckled in for the tank and I would not be surprised to see a high profile vet or 2 traded for picks.

Grab some pops and popcorn and enjoy watching the teams identity shift away from the turn the other cheek era that just ended.

3 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

We likely finish in the bottom 5 this year before starting to cycle up the year after. Why all the hate for JB? The UFAs can easily be bought out, waived or traded when they get beat out for spots in a couple of years.

The team asked to host the draft after this coming season - pretty sure they have buckled in for the tank and I would not be surprised to see a high profile vet or 2 traded for picks.

Grab some pops and popcorn and enjoy watching the teams identity shift away from the turn the other cheek era that just ended.

I have disliked many of the moves that have been made since they took over management.  I have wanted a full tear down for years now. With Linden gone I worry that the common sense went with him. The drafting has been the only high light for me.

The trades , the UFA signings all reek of desperation. 

22 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

1 more year..... Hahaha now this is hilarious 

22 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

One more year with a caveat for one more year after that....it's in Bennings contract.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎2018‎年‎7‎月‎31‎日 at 4:34 AM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Correction: The 5 Yr Stealth ReDo is 100% done.

Now, it's 1 yr of a blatant dive-bomb, as the youngins' gain muscle & experience(mostly elsewhere). A few elder, well-paid samurai(ronin), fighting for honour at the old site.

The 5 yrs of ninjas are out. They've accomplished their mission of distraction & disinformation. We've now assembled a younger army, & started construction on a new castle(moat's dug, & rock walls are up). 

Future looks promising.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Correction: The 5 Yr Stealth ReDo is 100% done.

Now, it's 1 yr of a blatant dive-bomb, as the youngins' gain muscle & experience(mostly elsewhere). A few elder, well-paid samurai(ronin), fighting for honour at the old site.

The 5 yrs of ninjas are out. They've accomplished their mission of distraction & disinformation. We've now assembled a younger army, & started construction on a new castle(moat's dug, & rock walls are up). 

Future looks promising.

I sure hope your right, I really do, but I don't see it like that unfortunately, unless major trades happen by the start of the 2019-20 season.

24 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I sure hope your right, I really do, but I don't see it like that unfortunately, unless major trades happen by the start of the 2019-20 season.

Yeah..& then all believing diehards & detractors get into their petty p*$$ing matches, & try to define what is a "real fan"(& all that nonsense).

I just threw this together back in Oct..was quite optimistic then with Green, & the way the team appeared trending. When they announced(April?) we were hosting the 2019 draft, I immediately felt we should pivot. Trade decent assets, that are late 20's & 30's accumulating extra '19 picks; fully accepting one more yr of incubator for the youngins. Any surprising success would be house money.

***CAP SPACE***

The important variable that we all seem to give short shrift. We FINALLY have a roster well under the cap. It's so much easier for a GM to time/tweak a rebuild-rate when the books are in order.

All these variables make for a wild swing in forecasting. They could probably place anywhere from #18~30th, depending upon the kinds of deals & dimes they want to use.

It'll be fun to watch.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2018 at 6:52 PM, appleboy said:

wall.gif.cdf270c65986e7e1fdd1c490196618e2.gif