The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rebuild Kicked Off With Acquiring Bo, & Was Completed at 2019 Draft!

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

I don't think we tanked at all, I think there was some poor choices that didn't pan out.  The Torts hire was legit, and it could have gone better if we had a deeper roster.  He may have made some poor choices himself, but he didn't have much to work with.  I think we are now closer to the playoffs than we have been since the lockout.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

I don't think we tanked at all, I think there was some poor choices that didn't pan out.  The Torts hire was legit, and it could have gone better if we had a deeper roster.  He may have made some poor choices himself, but he didn't have much to work with.  I think we are now closer to the playoffs than we have been since the lockout.

2015?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

Must feel invigorating to crap on someone's ideas from behind a keyboard.

You better believe it! It's literally the second favorite thing I like to do on the Internet.  B)

someone%20is%20wrong_zpsncnzkixr.png

16 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

369b95aa5cf4c17a10ba484f980a048e.jpg

Key word being "usually". It's "usually" a passive aggressive way of insulting people. Passive aggressive is simply not my style though. If I want to offend someone I will come right out and say it. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Toews said:

You better believe it! It's literally the second favorite thing I like to do on the Internet.  B)

someone%20is%20wrong_zpsncnzkixr.png

Key word being "usually". It's "usually" a passive aggressive way of insulting people. Passive aggressive is simply not my style though. If I want to offend someone I will come right out and say it. 

You sure you didn't play hockey?   :lol:   You sound like every coach that I ever had that I hated when I had them and then looked back and learned/grew more with them than any other.   

For the record, I have never found you annoying - but you sure like to nitpick and are a dog on a bone to your causes whatever they happen to be.   My guess you would be an interesting dude to have at a dinner party discussing something topic but controversial - right on the edge of pissing off someone who took it personally and fully having others (me included) in stitches.   

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The Canucks needed a total team renewal from top to bottom (Canucks and Comets).  

In the beginning they attempted a retool.  I define this as keeping the core and replacing the support players.  It was known that time was ticking on the Sedins, Burrows, Hansen and others.  It was felt that by this year (and Hank said this 2 years ago) that the team could be on the rise again and ready for a playoff run.  How?  Horvat was already in the system and Benning was targeting young 20's players to speed up the process (Gudbranson, Granlund, Baertschi etc)

As with any plan, progress has to be reviewed and adjusted as it is rolled out.  Something happened by the mid season review last year.  It was clear that the old core was declining fast (Sedins) and that they would no longer be able to carry the team forward.  So ownership and management had come to terms with this.  A rebuild (replacing the core) was necessary and they had to switch focus to support younger players.  Burrows and Hansen were moved for prospects.  

Without drifting into an essay here, I think the Canucks bottomed out last year.  We are seeing Bennings draft picks well and truly ready to play in the NHL (Boeser, Virtanen) and growing depth and competition within the organization.  Older players have been brought in on mostly 1 year contracts to fill line up spots until young players are ready to fill the positions.

It's not about tanking.  It's about getting good pieces and developing them.

You're right: not so much a tank as a natural restocking.  Where good drafting is about to transform the team.

And you're right about the Sedins.  Without sounding too depressing, everything changed for them last year.  It was shocking how fast it happened.  I remember Alf saying at one point that it was the first time there was decline in the off-season.  Before that it was normal wearing-down over the course of a long season, the kind we all suffer lol. 

Have we bottomed out? I think the UFAs were brought in to prevent this year being even worse, I suspect. Insurance maybe.

10 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You sure you didn't play hockey?   :lol:   You sound like every coach that I ever had that I hated when I had them and then looked back and learned/grew more with them than any other.   

For the record, I have never found you annoying - but you sure like to nitpick and are a dog on a bone to your causes whatever they happen to be.   My guess you would be an interesting dude to have at a dinner party discussing something topic but controversial - right on the edge of pissing off someone who took it personally and fully having others (me included) in stitches.   

:lol:

14 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Personally those were usually the best coaches. You knew exactly when they were unhappy with you and the reason why. It wasn't always pleasant to be at the other end of a public tongue-lashing but you always knew where they stood. My problem was with the passive aggressive types which keep you guessing and leave you confused as far as what their problem with you is. 

Appreciate the sentiment mate. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

All in for Dahlin

Maybe but I hope this team is "Woo'ing Woo" or "booking a trip with Woo Jett" because it would mean the Canucks have a better year and that no one has a cooler name than Jett Woo.

6 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

1 - First, I'd argue the 'Rebuild' began with trading Schneids.

No, our rebuild started a couple weeks before the 2017 trade-deadline.  That was the day that ownership finally threw in the towel (almost 5 years too late) and gave the GM permission to blow everything up.  Before that day, we were trying to win.

So, that tells you how god-awful our ownership/management is!  It took them almost 5 years to see what everyone else saw immediately.  They ran our team into the ground by ignoring reality for so long.  They could have turned everything around in a season or two (by starting when we had a good team).  Instead, they waited far too long and it's now going to take 10 years to fix this mess (we are at the beginning of Year 5, so only perhaps 5 or 6 seasons to go).

And, it gets worse...

This off-season, they've clearly gone back to thinking they can win.  Or, should I say, realizing that tanking doesn't work.  We were the worst team in the entire league for long stretches of the last two seasons - and all we got for it was two 5th-overall picks (and chose the 10th best player each time).  So, they probably realized that being the worst team in the league for the next few seasons comes with a humongous risk (of not getting a top pick yet again).  So, we're back to trying to win.  Only now, we don't have the players to do it.  We are starting at the bottom.  And, it's a thousand times harder to accomplish from the starting-position we find ourselves in now.

We are in the middle of a lost-decade thanks to our ownership/management.  And, there's basically no way out of it.  We aren't going to be getting the kinds of picks that change a team's fortunes immediately.  Our only hope is getting extremely lucky.  And, when has this team ever gotten lucky?

This will be a good draft year coming up ,therefore it would seem more than likely this team makes the playoffs.I do believe even Betman is onside with that conjecture. A team missing the playoffs three years in a row is not good for business or the fans.