The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rebuild Kicked Off With Acquiring Bo, & Was Completed at 2019 Draft!

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

19 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

"Have them play in a winning environment", "to be competitive", "play meaningful games"

Who knew that being competitive was intended for only two rookies to TRY to make the team not win games?

Who knew that meaningful games meant mind games with the fans? 

Who knew that "winning environment" was to mean it was a win that they still had a job.

Pointless, if you don't idolize benning and believe everything he does is gold.

It all ends the same way some long winded response that indicates only one thing someone's lonely.

• Upvote 2

On 03/10/2017 at 10:20 AM, GarthButcher5 said:

Maybe but I hope this team is "Woo'ing Woo" or "booking a trip with Woo Jett" because it would mean the Canucks have a better year and that no one has a cooler name than Jett Woo.

I think Jett Woo could be the next Matt Dumba big shot rightu who doesn't mind throwing his weight around.

Skates with aplomb. Looks a potential top 4 d man in 4 years.

• Upvote 1

I don't know about "stealth" and I honestly think Benning was trying to make the playoffs his first couple of years..........too many clues pointing that way.......

Sedin contracts, Edler's contract, Sutter's contract, Eriksson's contract........I honestly think there was a lot interference, in the first couple of years, even the Hamhuis ordeal sounds a little confusing..........."if the Tank was on back then.....

I think that it is more believable that, Benning was finally able to convince Both Aqualini , and the Sedin's who I feel had a lot of say in how this team was being run........that a rebuild was an absolute necessity..........Eriksson's none performance was probably the last straw............I would bet that that is when Aqualini, discovered that he didn't know hockey....and shouldn't listen to the Sedin's..............

FF forward to today, and maybe you are right, maybe the rebuild is 80% done, but I think your future timeline might be off a tad.............I think we need 2 more drafts at or near the bottom, and I think the reason for that is that we do need an elite PM Dman, and probably another elite winger/center.

I think that Benning needs to send some messages to his young players, that we are readying the club house for them, and we will see by January if that is his intention......

1. He starts moving more higher end vets at the TDL..........Edler, Sutter, Baertschi, Vanek, Del Zotto, and possibly Gunbranson (although I want to keep him)....and of course not all of them, but more than last year....probably 3 of the first 4.....they will be for picks!

2. He needs to sign Gaudette, as he seems to be a high end player.....maybe not #1 line but, up there and looks to be a battler

3. He needs to go into the 2018 draft with an extra 1st and a couple seconds...I think this is very achievable...this will stock the shelves early, which will give us depth on the farm

4. I also think he goes back after Tryamkin and tries to bring him back early (he will go public on this in the summer of 2018)...........possibly by 2018-2019 season, but probably more likely 2019-2020......transfer fees included

5. Sign Evander Kane at a discount and no NTC

That or he does part of it stays on course.................I am a believer of condensing the rebuild

It is a reach.......but we will see

All this will be to create excitement in the market for the 2018 -2019 season as Aqualini finally understands we will back a future full of potential and youth

Then I wake up! LOL

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I don't know about "stealth" and I honestly think Benning was trying to make the playoffs his first couple of years..........too many clues pointing that way.......

Sedin contracts, Edler's contract...

These were signed by Gillis.

Edited by D-Money

6 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Sedin contracts, Edler's contract, Sutter's contract, Eriksson's contract........I honestly think there was a lot interference, in the first couple of years, even the Hamhuis ordeal sounds a little confusing..........."if the Tank was on back then.....

I think that it is more believable that, Benning was finally able to convince Both Aqualini , and the Sedin's who I feel had a lot of say in how this team was being run........that a rebuild was an absolute necessity..........Eriksson's none performance was probably the last straw............I would bet that that is when Aqualini, discovered that he didn't know hockey....and shouldn't listen to the Sedin's..............

FF forward to today, and maybe you are right, maybe the rebuild is 80% done, but I think your future timeline might be off a tad.............I think we need 2 more drafts at or near the bottom, and I think the reason for that is that we do need an elite PM Dman, and probably another elite winger/center.

I think that Benning needs to send some messages to his young players, that we are readying the club house for them, and we will see by January if that is his intention......

1. He starts moving more higher end vets at the TDL..........Edler, Sutter, Baertschi, Vanek, Del Zotto, and possibly Gunbranson (although I want to keep him)....and of course not all of them, but more than last year....probably 3 of the first 4.....they will be for picks!

2. He needs to sign Gaudette, as he seems to be a high end player.....maybe not #1 line but, up there and looks to be a battler

3. He needs to go into the 2018 draft with an extra 1st and a couple seconds...I think this is very achievable...this will stock the shelves early, which will give us depth on the farm

4. I also think he goes back after Tryamkin and tries to bring him back early (he will go public on this in the summer of 2018)...........possibly by 2018-2019 season, but probably more likely 2019-2020......transfer fees included

5. Sign Evander Kane at a discount and no NTC

That or he does part of it stays on course.................I am a believer of condensing the rebuild

It is a reach.......but we will see

All this will be to create excitement in the market for the 2018 -2019 season as Aqualini finally understands we will back a future full of potential and youth

Then I wake up! LOL

Too many clues like we are going to get younger but want to try and compete for a playoff spot? Seriously they've been upfront from the beginning about it. They've been rebuilding all along but wanted to try and stay competitive while doing it. Hence signing guys like Miller, Vrbata, Erickson, Del Zotto, and Gagner, etc. We didn't exactly have an extensive prospect pool to choose from other than Horvat. Hence trading for young guys like Vey, Etem, Baertschi and Granlund. Rebuilding moves combined with stay competitive moves. Btw, the Sedins and Edler contracts were from Gillis not Benning.

If Aqualini was listening to the Sedins he likely heard them say from the time Benning took over that they were fine with going through a rebuild and were completely willing to take a lesser role. They just wanted to play out their career in Vancouver. Anything else is pure fiction.

1. Typically it's expiring contracts that get moved at the trade deadline. Those include Vanek, and Biega. Don't see a first or several seconds coming out of that. I could include the Sedins but we know they're not going anywhere. And I'll be surprised if Gudbranson doesn't have an extension in place before the season is over.

2. Gaudette will be signed when he's had enough college and wants to collect a paycheck. Can't put a gun to his head.

3. Don't see it happening this year. In 2019 we'll have Edler, Dorsett, Del Zotto and Nilsson as expiring contracts to move at the deadline.

4. Try signed a three year deal. As there's no deal with the KHL he's locked in until it expires. Honestly I don't see him coming back in the near future.

5. Considering Kane posted pics of himself flashing wads of money I don't see him signing at a discount for anybody. Frankly, with all the issues he's had, I don't even want him here.

Honestly I see Benning as having stayed the course all along. Add a few young guys each year for rebuilding and supplement them with veterans to try and remain competitive. He's been consistent in that regard.

• Upvote 2

On 03/10/2017 at 10:36 AM, Crabcakes said:

The Canucks needed a total team renewal from top to bottom (Canucks and Comets).  

In the beginning they attempted a retool.  I define this as keeping the core and replacing the support players.  It was known that time was ticking on the Sedins, Burrows, Hansen and others.  It was felt that by this year (and Hank said this 2 years ago) that the team could be on the rise again and ready for a playoff run.  How?  Horvat was already in the system and Benning was targeting young 20's players to speed up the process (Gudbranson, Granlund, Baertschi etc)

As with any plan, progress has to be reviewed and adjusted as it is rolled out.  Something happened by the mid season review last year.  It was clear that the old core was declining fast (Sedins) and that they would no longer be able to carry the team forward.  So ownership and management had come to terms with this.  A rebuild (replacing the core) was necessary and they had to switch focus to support younger players.  Burrows and Hansen were moved for prospects.  

Without drifting into an essay here, I think the Canucks bottomed out last year.  We are seeing Bennings draft picks well and truly ready to play in the NHL (Boeser, Virtanen) and growing depth and competition within the organization.  Older players have been brought in on mostly 1 year contracts to fill line up spots until young players are ready to fill the positions.

It's not about tanking.  It's about getting good pieces and developing them.

The re-tool would have worked if we had Schneider, traded Luongo and kept Kesler.  It was a bad judgement call at the time thinking that our aging Sedins were enough, even with a decent replacement in net.  I'm guessing a directive from the owners to keep their stock prices at their all time high was part of the reason it took a few years 

( Getting into the post season fooled them too into thinking it was working which didn't help) before the rebuild word came along.

Now fans should be happy, that's what we are doing.  Embrace the losing, it's what we need to get our next bunch of core players, so far we only have two ( and that's getting Boeser is the second). 

• Upvote 2

Stealth? Nothing stealthy about this process. The org rode their old vets until they left by choice or simply foundered in their stalls. From an asset management perspective back to 2012 the Canucks get a 'D'. While his start might have been stuttered I like Benning's direction. Converting vets to assets has been poor but his drafting has been above average. I suspect the next 2 drafts to be as important as the past 3. Canucks as a org have a long way to go before they have the ingredients for a serious CUP contender. 

As a fan I get more fun watching the draft picks evolve rather than worrying about where the Twins fit or whether MDZ can really run a PP. The vets are fillers and do serve a purpose but it is the under 23's who will led the team back to contention. As fans we are not privy to what opportunities come across Jim Benning's desk. The Draft's are IMHO the biggest insight we can get into where JB sees the rebuild. Temper all that with the political BS that every org has to deal with.   

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...

If they were really tanking neither Vanek or Gagner would not have been signed. All the younger skilled players would have been allowed to take those spots with good training camps. Keeping 4 or 5 young players rotating in those spots and Utica would create fiercer competition for playing time and weed out veteran complacency. Sure they would make mistakes but these vets aren't getting it done anyway. Colombus kept loading up on big young decent speed players for 3 or 4 years before their run last year and just let competition sort out the roster eventually.

Edited by gregthehockeynut
typo

If they were really tanking neither Vanek or Gagner would not have been signed. All the younger skilled players would have been allowed to take those spots with good training camps. Keeping 4 or 5 young players rotating in those spots and Utica would create fiercer competition for playing time and weed out veteran complacency. Sure they would make mistakes but these vets aren't getting it done anyway. Colombus kept loading up on big young decent speed players for 3 or 4 years before their run last year and just let competition sort out the roster eventually.

Edited by gregthehockeynut

18 minutes ago, gregthehockeynut said:

If they were really tanking neither Vanek or Gagner would have been signed. All the younger skilled players would have been allowed to take those spots with good training camps. Keeping 4 or 5 young players rotating in those spots and Utica would create fiercer competition for playing time and weed out veteran complacency. Sure they would make mistakes but these vets aren't getting it done anyway. Colombus kept loading up on big young decent speed players for 3 or 4 years before their run last year and just let competition sort out the roster eventually.

Gagner and Vanek playing ahead of Jake, Goldobin, and other young guys does look like a stealthy way to tank.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Upvote 1