The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rebuild Kicked Off With Acquiring Bo, & Was Completed at 2019 Draft!

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

Without getting into the various sub-discussions that could be had from this post, I would agree that we're a good deal of the way through the dark years.

I'm not saying that we're close, but we're not as far away as we were a year or two ago.

I'm of the opinion that if Benning could have another year as good as his last year (Petersson, Goldobin, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, etc...) that we will be most of the way through the darkest times.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

How could he possibly take offense to that? It's a good thing you started the statement by saying "no offense," it makes all the difference.

It should. I have not remarked on the OP's intelligence. I have called the idea stupid, we are all capable of some stupid ideas. I didn't need to include the "no offense" part of it but I did not want him to mistake my intention. 

One of my favorite scenes.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

It should. I have not remarked on the OP's intelligence. I have called the idea stupid, we are all capable of some stupid ideas. I didn't need to include the "no offense" part of it but I did not want him to mistake my intention. 

Slithering your way behind the semantics is not fooling anyone.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Can the lawless wealthy really be so cunning? Or do they just get really good at landing on their feet? No they just always want money, in my opinion, ticket sales above all else.

A catastrophic mistake was sitting lu at the winter classic, so petty but im sure it took alot of heart away from the core group when theybsee tjat crap happen to one of the guys. 

Arguably the canucks have done ok since 2010 , arguably things could be much better. None of that matters. What matters is the present. Presently we need to build two top lines, find our #1 goalie, backup.. try out another non nhl coach and staff and establish defence after the top 4. Nbd.

Ive got drunk optimism. 

1 hour ago, Toews said:

everyone thinking of becoming an inventor should review this scene multiple times 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Last pre-season thread here..just before we all get our Canucks-fix, for real again. Was thinking of a positive outlook on the current scenario, & kinda wondered how CDC'ers viewed a few recent issues. Since the hierarchy had difficulty, prior to 2017 announcing(officially) our rebuild-status, I started looking at it, in retrospect.

**For ease of further discussion, I'll number a few points here**

1 - First, I'd argue the 'Rebuild' began with trading Schneids. Getting Horvat got the ball rolling. If we'd had CS for longer, we wouldn't have fallen so far down(draft order) in subsequent seasons. So it helped in both ways. I think owners knew then that Lu would ALSO be moving on, but they had to stagger these transactions with a bit of time in between.(long, boring theory, but they were concerned about optics, mostly)

2 -***TORTS!*** In another thread yest, was speculating owners brought him in, perhaps cynically as a sort of creative destruction? Easier to 'put the run' to vets, right? I know many posters(most?) will likely disagree, but it wouldn't surprise me if owners knew they had to cut bait(stars were aging). So they try a high-stakes gamble, with a polarizing figure. They either get an unlikely run, or an exodus of vets, willing to waive NTC's. No waiting for an aging country club atmosphere to fade away.

3 - So around that time, they decided the twins would be the vets to keep(hence, 4 yr deals in Fall, 2013). Virtually all other assets try to recycle into the next wave of talent. The twins were the type to teach youngins dedication to the craft. 

4 - Even in the middle of a rebuild, we landed a PO spot 1 yr. So we didn't obviously & blatantly tank, like the Coilers/Fleas. The other 3 seasons, we were in it 'til the last 20, 30 games, until injuries made the wheels fall off. Hell of a lot more honourable than going into a season with no aim whatsoever, ala Leafs 2 yrs back.

5 - The general consensus here is we're not expecting to make the Spring dance. That seems to be the view of at least 60~70% of posters, I'd guess. ONE more yr of JB working his magic at the draft table is (IMHO) all it'll really take. Starting next yr we should be in business again, at least seriously for a wildcard. Even still, signing a bunch of FA's we're competing, right?(appearances & all that).. Yet it's more likely we'll be flipping some of these guys into younger assets, spring 2018 or '19...

So by June 2018(about 1800 days/rebuild done), suggesting here we'll be firmly into the development/progression stage(rates basically vary for that), as opposed to scrambling & trying to accumulate young assets frantically. We'll have a lot of cap to attract freebies, & a rising team for pretty decent FA persuasion.

Looking forward from a draft 2013 perspective, I'd say almost ALL significant team moves over that period(Utica too, being established), has worked out really, quite nicely overall. We shouldn't b*tch & moan about matters like the daft lotto. We don't NEED any ballyhooed stars. They're building a cohesive group of kids that'll be a treat to watch climb to the top.

3V8KxaW.gif