The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rebuild Kicked Off With Acquiring Bo, & Was Completed at 2019 Draft!

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

The work isn’t done yet... still need a top4 RHD, minimum.

Still, have to like the upgrades to the roster to start the year.  Hughes, Miller, Pearson, Leivo and Demko all mark, for me, significant upgrades over what we began last year with.

3 decent sized gritty forwards who can score, an elite puck moving D and a blue chip backup goalie.  

Contracts aside, adding a guy like Myers would have us in considerably better shape to start than last year.  

Roussel and Juolevi plugging in around Christmas time could be a nice boost. 

We haven’t lost any important pieces.  There’s still internal upside with Gaudette, Jake, Goldy, Stecher.

We do need to hope for better injury luck.  Edler, Tanev, Sutter, Baertschi and Beagle missed a lot of time and can all help. Hopefully a stronger, deeper team that controls the puck more will help with that.

In any case, the boys played extremely well last year for TG despite getting worn right down.  If we can keep that compete with a little better injury luck (and a veteran RDH in the mix)  I can see us competing for the playoffs right up to the wire this year.  

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, mpt said:

And we still don’t have enough good prospects

Outside of this year's draft.  We have OJ and a bunch of could be something could be nothing prospects.  I don't think there's much help coming, though it would be nice if 1 or 2 of those guys developed into effective bottom 6, bottom pairing players soon. 

45 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Outside of this year's draft.  We have OJ and a bunch of could be something could be nothing prospects.  I don't think there's much help coming, though it would be nice if 1 or 2 of those guys developed into effective bottom 6, bottom pairing players soon. 

Agreed, but so many people here think we are a team headed towards certain playoffs.  If everything that needs to happen does, I agree, but what’s the likelihood that everything and everyone pans out like we wish?  Not very likely

Edited by mpt
  • Wat 1

24 minutes ago, mpt said:

Agreed, but so many people here think we are a team headed towards certain playoffs.  If everything that needs to happen does, I agree, but what’s the likelihood that everything and everyone pans out like we wish?  Not very likely

Wouldn’t that be JBs stamp on this team though? 

Given time everyone is a difference maker and turns out. 

Lol. I’m not even close to a hater just think that would be hilarious. 

did we even ever go into a rebuild? i think we are the only team in the last 7-8 years that's suppose to be rebuilding to have less 1st round picks or players that we drafted than we suppose to have..

2013 horvat/shinkaruk

2014 virtanen/mccann

2015 boeser

2016 juolevi

2017 pettersson

2018 hughes

2019 podkolzin

2020/2021 traded

we have 7 1st rounder in 8 years doesnt' feel like a rebuild and really we only hit on 3 of them that were drafted in the top 10 not including this year

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

did we even ever go into a rebuild? i think we are the only team in the last 7-8 years that's suppose to be rebuilding to have less 1st round picks or players that we drafted than we suppose to have..

2013 horvat/shinkaruk

2014 virtanen/mccann

2015 boeser

2016 juolevi

2017 pettersson

2018 hughes

2019 podkolzin

2020/2021 traded

we have 7 1st rounder in 8 years doesnt' feel like a rebuild and really we only hit on 3 of them that were drafted in the top 10 not including this year

Depends on one’s philosophy of what a rebuild is.  Other than Edler and Tanev, the roster is completely turned over.  Is that not a rebuild?  Think about the new foundational players.  Petey, Bess, Hughes, Bo, Demko.  If a rebuild is to create a new foundation, and turn over the roster, haven’t we done that?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Depends on one’s philosophy of what a rebuild is.  Other than Edler and Tanev, the roster is completely turned over.  Is that not a rebuild?  Think about the new foundational players.  Petey, Bess, Hughes, Bo, Demko.  If a rebuild is to create a new foundation, and turn over the roster, haven’t we done that?  

Nope. Create suggests from scratch with raw materials. What dim Jim did was trade away raw materials for pre existing foundations that other teams started to build and that may or may not fit together.

Dim jim’s rebuild is retarded and has really old people for some reason. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Bang-on, Alf.  

We have an exciting new core surrounded by some solid veterans and we’ll go as far as they take us.  Sky’s the limit with this young crew over the next few seasons.

(Assuming we upgrade the right side of the D.)

It's hard to remember precise outlooks & emotions(time of 2013 draft), but the team was surely disheartened, coming off two early PO exits. All courtesy of the two Californian, cocky upstarts(& lackey reffs). The team & fans were probably still contemplating what assets to drop/acquire, in order to stop the bleeding, & get back on track.

How many of us realized that version would not win another series together? So we drafted Bo, not fully cognizant he would be the first piece, of a longg, required list.

Then six (mostly rough) yrs would ramble by, with virtually zero PO-excitement. Yet with JB's drafting, we kept adding pieces.

I'll guess that yrs later from now, we'll look back(in similar fashion) at this 2019 draft, to pinpoint where this team started to rapidly ascend.

• Cheers 1

While I do believe we are going to be a playoff team next year with Miller on board. I feel that those tweets from Francesco Aquilini last summer about preaching patience was a ruse. As a year later we traded a prime asset for a fix right now. That goes against what his tweets said at this time last year. I think we can say now with conviction that it was Trevor who was calling for patience, not Francesco. Will we be a playoff team next year or the year after, yes we will. A cup contender or a cup favorite? Not in my eyes. But other kids are coming so I have to keep the faith that we will have the depth to win it after a few learning experiences in the playoffs.

There are playoff teams, and rebuilding teams trying to make the playoffs.

The Canucks have finished in the bottom 5 of the league the last few seasons, I believe. Not sure why they suddenly think the rebuid is over and they're a playoff team now. Maybe they feel that they have drafted enough high end talent that is developing, and they will add pieces here and there (trades and UFAs) to bring in veteran gritty playoff type players. Maybe Miller is a good start?

Aside from losing a 1st, my concern is Benning dealing with the plugs that need to go. These guys are paid well and taking up valuable roster spots, but they aren't difference makers, perhaps their careers are coming to an end in this league. It's nice that they can bring in a player like Miller, but if Sutter and Eriksson are still floundering around the lineup, then I suspect they will have a similar season as before. That's $10 million being paid to 2 older players that don't care by the looks of it. Benning needs to trade some guys. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The Canucks have finished in the bottom 5 of the league the last few seasons, I believe. Not sure why they suddenly think the rebuid is over and they're a playoff team now. Maybe they feel that they have drafted enough high end talent that is developing, and they will add pieces here and there (trades and UFAs) to bring in veteran gritty playoff type players. Maybe Miller is a good start?

Aside from losing a 1st, my concern is Benning dealing with the plugs that need to go. These guys are paid well and taking up valuable roster spots, but they aren't difference makers, perhaps their careers are coming to an end in this league. It's nice that they can bring in a player like Miller, but if Sutter and Eriksson are still floundering around the lineup, then I suspect they will have a similar season as before. That's $10 million being paid to 2 older players that don't care by the looks of it. Benning needs to trade some guys. 

Play AG. Send Sutter away. Send Eriksson away. Sign a good dman. Couldn’t agree more.  

42 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Problem is no other team want our scraps. Gotta take two to dance unless we want to give away more draft picks.

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

The problem is we have some good players but certainly not enough based on how many top 10 picks we had. And we have a lot of useless player with cap hits that no one is willing to take

So you don't believe the ascent starts now?! :^)

I could have sworn last summer when Trevor stepped down that Francesco tweeted out how Jim and Travis would continue the rebuild and then sent out another tweet that said how the rebuild is a long and patient process. So I dug them up and to my surprise (not really as it was Trevor being the patient one all along), his tune on the rebuild has changed as we traded  futures for help right now and about to go on a cap spending spree on July 1. I’ll always be a Canucks fan and I do want the best for this team, but I’m no sheep fan who doesn’t forget what was said not even a year ago. I don’t blame Jim as he’s just doing what will save his job but as the owner of the team telling the fans to be patient and then seeing the moves being done this off season... the message being said is not the action that’s being done right now. 

4BB7BC44-617A-4DBF-9E3C-B683B46BA9A0.jpeg

479387D9-87C3-4888-9DE7-1A979ACFEA67.jpeg

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 1

21 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Problem is no other team want our scraps. Gotta take two to dance unless we want to give away more draft picks.

I'm a little sick of this excuse honestly.  Who acquired those scraps?  GM Benning is paid handsomely. He's supposed to be the smartest man in the room. Its his job to have a better and more knowledgeable basis to make these player decisions, and/or who he decides to listen to on his staff than us here on this board.  Yes all GMs have misses, but JB track record for trades and free agent signings is abysmal. Based not only on their production on the ice, but their resale value. One has to ask why do other teams players hit the market and are snatched up, but no one wants our plugs?  Its partly due to mis-evaluation in the first place, added to that overpayment on money and term in signing them,  If Hutton walks away for nothing its just another feather in his cap.

The idea that, still in a rebuild, even if its nearing an end according to management, we are STILL giving away draft picks, a number one, to make deals, when we have an overflowing stable of collected acquisitions gathered over 5 years, is frankly unacceptable.

Drafting Boeser and Pettersson saved Jim's bacon. I'm also hoping that Tryamkin comes back and proves that later pick a steal. Along with Hughes, these picks make up for missing on Tkachuk  and Ehlers as far as his drafting record. I can live with that.  Its his trades and free agent work that has really watered down this team.  Its going to  be very difficult to shed many of these superfluous grinders now that they are in the stable. And ultimately the buck has to stop at JBs desk. 

I have to hope for the best going forward.  But I don't know how anyone can't be a little nervous of any trade or signings he makes, based on his past performance.

Edited by kilgore
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I'm a little sick of this excuse honestly.  Who acquired those scraps?  GM Benning is paid handsomely. He's supposed to be the smartest man in the room. Its his job to have a better and more knowledgeable basis to make these player decisions, and/or who he decides to listen to on his staff than us here on this board.  Yes all GMs have misses, but JB track record for trades and free agent signings is abysmal. Based not only on their production on the ice, but their resale value. One has to ask why do other teams players hit the market and are snatched up, but no one wants our plugs?  Its partly due to mis-evaluation in the first place, added to that overpayment on money and term in signing them,  If Hutton walks away for nothing its just another feather in his cap.

The idea that, still in a rebuild, even if its nearing an end according to management, we are STILL giving away draft picks, a number one, to make deals, when we have a stable of collected acquisitions gathered over 5 years, is frankly unacceptable.

Drafting Boeser and Pettersson saved Jim's bacon. I'm also hoping that Tryamkin comes back and proves that later pick a steal. Along with Hughes, these picks make up for missing on Tkachuk  and Ehlers as far as his drafting record. I can live with that.  Its his trades and free agent work that has really watered down this team.  Its going to  be very difficult to shed many of these superfluous grinders now that they are in the stable. And ultimately the buck has to stop at JBs desk. 

I have to hope for the best going forward.  But I don't know how anyone can't be a little nervous of any trade or signings he makes, based on his past performance.

It's much easier to be a fan when you don't give a care about what happens off the ice. Try to stop caring about what management does and just be a fan of the team.

Every winter, me, my wife and kids go to as many local junior A games as we can. I don't know anything about the players or the team other than they play at the same complex that I curl at. My daughter loves it. She thinks it's great when a hit shakes the glass right in front of her. Her enjoyment of being a spectator at the games has made me realize that who cares what is going on behind the scenes. So now I try to enjoy all sports from the perspective of a 3 yo and it turns out I really like it better this way. Yes I have an interest in what goes on, but not so much that it makes me upset at everything a management group does off the ice.

• Cheers 1