The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rebuild Kicked Off With Acquiring Bo, & Was Completed at 2019 Draft!

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

It's much easier to be a fan when you don't give a care about what happens off the ice. Try to stop caring about what management does and just be a fan of the team.

Every winter, me, my wife and kids go to as many local junior A games as we can. I don't know anything about the players or the team other than they play at the same complex that I curl at. My daughter loves it. She thinks it's great when a hit shakes the glass right in front of her. Her enjoyment of being a spectator at the games has made me realize that who cares what is going on behind the scenes. So now I try to enjoy all sports from the perspective of a 3 yo and it turns out I really like it better this way. Yes I have an interest in what goes on, but not so much that it makes me upset at everything a management group does off the ice.

Hey, those are nice thoughts. Its true its only a game. Its only sports. But I  don't know how one can care about the team but not care what management does. I don't get that. I've been through too many years of Canuck luck. But really,  I only get fired up in here.  Its not like I talk canucks much outside of the CDC.  I'd love to have your kind of fandom. Where management is like a computer generated luck machine.  And what players we start with in October is what what the computer spits out for us.  So its pointless to even vent about it. Or even think about it, that would be such a relief.  I'd reset my focus on something else..... COMPUTER HACKERS!!!   ha.

Its a sports franchise which is a private business, but its also a public trust. Its a big responsibility, and a big privilege for the Aquilini family that they are granted.  Especially if its a hockey team in a Canadian city.  And these are not a computer generated decisions, these are all human decisions based on what Aquilini wants, who he hires, or doesn't hire to make final decisions.  It is a human run enterprise that is prone to human mistakes. And I have a right to criticize humans!  I'm an alien dammit!

Edited by kilgore
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

In my opinion, the rebuild started with the Luongo deal.    It was at that moment where the Canucks went from “sacrificing the long term for immediate short term gains,” to, “placing an emphasis on getting younger while surrounding said talent with the right vets.......vets that wouldn’t block the spots on deserving rookies.”

Unfortunately, most hockey fans don’t equate the latter explanation with a traditional rebuild, and so Benning was crucified by ignoramuses.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

On 10/10/2019 at 7:15 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Announce Bo as the Captain, & then bash the Queens 8-2, as if they're a Bettman-pinata.

The rebuild started the minute we nabbed Bo.

Took 6 yrs..but this team is finally, officially ready to roll.

Without doubt acquiring Bo was the start of the rebuild, but it was also half hearted to begin with.

Rebuild, retool, re whatever... there were lots of names thrown around at the time. 

I think it really wasn't until Kesler demanded a traded, the club accept that a proper rebuild was needed...(it may have been triggered by Luongos departure, but lots of things started to go sour under Torts tenure, and he was right in stating young blood was needed)....

Regardless, very pleased that Bo has become Captain, and that the rebuild now seems to have been close to completed. Was really concerned that Bos talents should be wasted while rebuilding the rebuilds.... Now he gets to Captain a team on the up at the age of 24... the next 5-10 years should be a lot of fun, if they can keep the salaries under control.... 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2

Top prospects Alexis Lafrenière and Quinton Byfield have been lighting up junior hockey, leaving scouts drooling over their immense potential

Let's hope the price of a quick one and done in the playoffs, if made, isn't this or any of the other 15 draft picks estimated to all be stars in the NHL.

This may be ONE of the reason's the Canucks make the show, other teams rebuilding or retooling know that a top 15 players from this draft are sure things and will be a difference makers right out of the gate.

Miller is playing good so far, but still two draft picks for him is extremely expensive especially if Tampa improves or sustains by getting one of these guy by using the Canuck pick to trade down..

The number of teams tanking will be counted around the TDL. I expect no less than 8 teams to tank for this draft class, many of the same one's that have in the past for superior drafts..

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy

Is Benning going to trade more 2020 picks? Selling the future for now? How else could he get Pysyk. The Penquins need to free up cap, Johnson would be available for a couple of 2nds! :lol:

Bye bye Tryamkin, Boston has needs.:shock::frantic:

All are tradable now because "This rebuild is done!" ;) This group is cup bound.:lol:

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy

9 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Top prospects Alexis Lafrenière and Quinton Byfield have been lighting up junior hockey, leaving scouts drooling over their immense potential

Let's hope the price of a quick one and done in the playoffs, if made, isn't this or any of the other 15 draft picks estimated to all be stars in the NHL.

This may be ONE of the reason's the Canucks make the show, other teams rebuilding or retooling know that a top 15 players from this draft are sure things and will be a difference makers right out of the gate.

Miller is playing good so far, but still two draft picks for him is extremely expensive especially if Tampa improves or sustains by getting one of these guy by using the Canuck pick to trade down..

The number of teams tanking will be counted around the TDL. I expect no less than 8 teams to tank for this draft class, many of the same one's that have in the past for superior drafts..

Just for the sake of it, have you noticed how lucky we are in draft lottery?

Even without Miller this team is not bad enough to be bottom 3...

And if we didn't get either, will we keep rebuilding and collecting picks until the next generational talent appears.

And finally, were the Sedins Generational talents? If not, its obviously possible to get to the finals without a generational talent. 

Real question is how long do we wait, before we start looking at play offs... I have had enough of off seasons from the beginning of April.

And finally, If we make it to play offs, the pick going to Tampa have F all to do with Lefreniere or Byfield regardless of how much they drool over them. 

If we don't make it, the pick is still ours....

• Cheers 1

On 10/3/2017 at 3:33 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Last pre-season thread here..just before we all get our Canucks-fix, for real again. Was thinking of a positive outlook on the current scenario, & kinda wondered how CDC'ers viewed a few recent issues. Since the hierarchy had difficulty, prior to 2017 announcing(officially) our rebuild-status, I started looking at it, in retrospect.

**For ease of further discussion, I'll number a few points here**

1 - First, I'd argue the 'Rebuild' began with trading Schneids. Getting Horvat got the ball rolling. If we'd had CS for longer, we wouldn't have fallen so far down(draft order) in subsequent seasons. So it helped in both ways. I think owners knew then that Lu would ALSO be moving on, but they had to stagger these transactions with a bit of time in between.(long, boring theory, but they were concerned about optics, mostly)

2 -***TORTS!*** In another thread yest, was speculating owners brought him in, perhaps cynically as a sort of creative destruction? Easier to 'put the run' to vets, right? I know many posters(most?) will likely disagree, but it wouldn't surprise me if owners knew they had to cut bait(stars were aging). So they try a high-stakes gamble, with a polarizing figure. They either get an unlikely run, or an exodus of vets, willing to waive NTC's. No waiting for an aging country club atmosphere to fade away.

3 - So around that time, they decided the twins would be the vets to keep(hence, 4 yr deals in Fall, 2013). Virtually all other assets try to recycle into the next wave of talent. The twins were the type to teach youngins dedication to the craft. 

4 - Even in the middle of a rebuild, we landed a PO spot 1 yr. So we didn't obviously & blatantly tank, like the Coilers/Fleas. The other 3 seasons, we were in it 'til the last 20, 30 games, until injuries made the wheels fall off. Hell of a lot more honourable than going into a season with no aim whatsoever, ala Leafs 2 yrs back.

5 - The general consensus here is we're not expecting to make the Spring dance. That seems to be the view of at least 60~70% of posters, I'd guess. ONE more yr of JB working his magic at the draft table is (IMHO) all it'll really take. Starting next yr we should be in business again, at least seriously for a wildcard. Even still, signing a bunch of FA's we're competing, right?(appearances & all that).. Yet it's more likely we'll be flipping some of these guys into younger assets, spring 2018 or '19...

So by June 2018(about 1800 days/rebuild done), suggesting here we'll be firmly into the development/progression stage(rates basically vary for that), as opposed to scrambling & trying to accumulate young assets frantically. We'll have a lot of cap to attract freebies, & a rising team for pretty decent FA persuasion.

Looking forward from a draft 2013 perspective, I'd say almost ALL significant team moves over that period(Utica too, being established), has worked out really, quite nicely overall. We shouldn't b*tch & moan about matters like the daft lotto. We don't NEED any ballyhooed stars. They're building a cohesive group of kids that'll be a treat to watch climb to the top.

Still a few upgrades to go but pretty stoked waiting for Pods to arrive and hopefully Tryamkin when his contract is up... 

Rebuild is close to done but not quite.. still need to see how Demko and DiPietro work out, neither are proven but see how it goes, both seem to have natural ability and just need NHL experience. Most of all.. LE will be gone.. and Luongo's hit will be off too, things are definitely moving along but we still need to see how we do against the best teams this year in the long run before an accurate assessment leading to upgrades can be done but sure looking forward to Roussell being back.. 

Go Nux.. 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, spook007 said:

Without doubt acquiring Bo was the start of the rebuild, but it was also half hearted to begin with.

Rebuild, retool, re whatever... there were lots of names thrown around at the time. 

I think it really wasn't until Kesler demanded a traded, the club accept that a proper rebuild was needed...(it may have been triggered by Luongos departure, but lots of things started to go sour under Torts tenure, and he was right in stating young blood was needed)....

Regardless, very pleased that Bo has become Captain, and that the rebuild now seems to have been close to completed. Was really concerned that Bos talents should be wasted while rebuilding the rebuilds.... Now he gets to Captain a team on the up at the age of 24... the next 5-10 years should be a lot of fun, if they can keep the salaries under control.... 

50 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Still a few upgrades to go but pretty stoked waiting for Pods to arrive and hopefully Tryamkin when his contract is up... 

Rebuild is close to done but not quite.. still need to see how Demko and DiPietro work out, neither are proven but see how it goes, both seem to have natural ability and just need NHL experience. Most of all.. LE will be gone.. and Luongo's hit will be off too, things are definitely moving along but we still need to see how we do against the best teams this year in the long run before an accurate assessment leading to upgrades can be done but sure looking forward to Roussell being back.. 

Go Nux.. 

We do these threads as a psychological-tactic to get through the long, tough slog, bleak stretches. (Thread Title used to be "Stealth Rebuild is XX% Done") where I was counting up to 100%, almost weekly. It works well in a long bike ride(or marathon) where you count the % finished, after you're well past the mid-point. Distracts from the mundane. We were 4 yrs thru the (mostly) tough 6 yrs we all had to be patient. I felt in Fall, 2017 there were some reasons of optimism staring to sprout from the dirt.

Over on HF these were yrs of topics with supposed "fans"(yeah right) slagging the team, & insulting the franchise, with every Neg-Nelly thread they could dream up.

I like that here several of us tried to see the silver lining in the rebuild-cloud, even if we mindlessly haggled about what term we should attach to the process. It didn't matter, & that became part of the humour.

Yeah, this place was a good site to turn, to hang in there cheering for the boys. I think(& have long felt) the optimistic posters were a necessary counterbalance to the trolls, mostly on that other site, misrepresenting our enthusiastic BC fandom. The corner is being turned, & I don't think such threads(or determinedly optimistic posters) will be required much longer. Scratching under the surface in search of hope, will no longer be needed, & for all(true) fans the pom poms will be all one needs.

Over the coming wks, the bandwagon will likely start to fill, & our trajectory becomes clear.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Cheers 1

Dont believe there was ever a master plan until the PO exit vs Calgary.  

Then JB and Linden had to act.  

The Horvat draft was MG's kickoff to building a prospect pool, which was 6 years too late.  The only problem with MG leading a rebuild/retool was that he sucked at drafting.  

Remember had we not dealt Schneider that year, all we would have to show for that draft was Shinkaruk.  Look at how well he turned out.  

Do agree that the Torts hiring had a win it all or become a dumpster fire feel too it.  

The Aqualini's torched the 2011 club with Torts.  

Going into the off season after our last PO JB started in ernest to rebuild the club.  

Had Kesler not held out for Anahiem idk if the rebuild would have ever gotten started.  He may have done us all a favour by being an a hole.  

With Kesler in the lineup, do we get knocked out by Calgary?  Less likely IMO.  

Since that exit JB has drafted Boeser, Gaudette,OJ, Ep40, Hughes, Madden, Woo, Dipietro, Podz, Lind, Hogslander etc...   

17 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Every year a few players are hyped to no end and generally they do have great talent. Does that mean we should tank (or at least miss the playoffs) every year to have a chance at those guys every season? It worked so well for the Oilers after all.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, spook007 said:

Just for the sake of it, have you noticed how lucky we are in draft lottery?

Even without Miller this team is not bad enough to be bottom 3...

And if we didn't get either, will we keep rebuilding and collecting picks until the next generational talent appears.

And finally, were the Sedins Generational talents? If not, its obviously possible to get to the finals without a generational talent. 

Real question is how long do we wait, before we start looking at play offs... I have had enough of off seasons from the beginning of April.

And finally, If we make it to play offs, the pick going to Tampa have F all to do with Lefreniere or Byfield regardless of how much they drool over them. 

If we don't make it, the pick is still ours....

Sooner or later the team will hit on a #1 to #3, just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it never will.

If the team HAS to give up a 1rst round pick then let it be the 2021 draft, I can't believe the only condition was if the team missed the playoffs especially this year when many team WILL be tanking after the TDL to get some of the excellent top 15 players.

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Every year a few players are hyped to no end and generally they do have great talent. Does that mean we should tank (or at least miss the playoffs) every year to have a chance at those guys every season? It worked so well for the Oilers after all.

A tank decision should not be made until the TDL, then it would be trading away SOME vets for additional draft picks.

The team still needs YOUNG star players, star players that would be stars on other NHL teams not just in a good supporting cast.

It would also help with the cap structure in the future.

Where else to get star quality players for the future. The team still needs more dmen and top six forwards, why not have more? It is only one more season and then almost a guarantee that the team is playoff bound for a decade, don't stop just short of being a great team and settle on middle of the road. Too much talent cannot be bad, at worst it create's more trade assets.

10 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Sooner or later the team will hit on a #1 to #3, just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it never will.

If the team HAS to give up a 1rst round pick then let it be the 2021 draft, I can't believe the only condition was if the team missed the playoffs especially this year when many team WILL be tanking after the TDL to get some of the excellent top 15 players.

A tank decision should not be made until the TDL, then it would be trading away SOME vets for additional draft picks.

The team still needs YOUNG star players, star players that would be stars on other NHL teams not just in a good supporting cast.

It would also help with the cap structure in the future.

Where else to get star quality players for the future. The team still needs more dmen and top six forwards, why not have more? It is only one more season and then almost a guarantee that the team is playoff bound for a decade, don't stop just short of being a great team and settle on middle of the road. Too much talent cannot be bad, at worst it create's more trade assets.

Is that you appleboy?

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Is that you appleboy?

No, I am that I am. That's all. Everyone that isn't marching down the parade route or still has enough reason to plan for a future can have their own thoughts.

The more bad things happen, year after year, more and more folks will start thinking similar thoughts.

Really how many years of bad contracts, being capped out so deals are almost impossible, trading away draft picks by s supposed drafting genius rebuilding through the draft or that other teams that started with the Canucks or even years later are ahead, NJ, NYR, even Boston, before some fans wonder why not here? What is the constant in year after year of 50 loss season and being capped out?

This management group wants you to believe that what happened 7 years ago is more effective that anything they have done since.

27 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

No, I am that I am. That's all. Everyone that isn't marching down the parade route or still has enough reason to plan for a future can have their own thoughts.

The more bad things happen, year after year, more and more folks will start thinking similar thoughts.

Really how many years of bad contracts, being capped out so deals are almost impossible, trading away draft picks by s supposed drafting genius rebuilding through the draft or that other teams that started with the Canucks or even years later are ahead, NJ, NYR, even Boston, before some fans wonder why not here? What is the constant in year after year of 50 loss season and being capped out?

This management group wants you to believe that what happened 7 years ago is more effective that anything they have done since.

Not many things in life are constant. Upswings and then downswings are normal. Where the team was trending downward it now appears to be on the uptick.

Next season is the only cap crunch year and there is lots of time for action. LE will be easier to trade to a cap floor team after his next signing bonus is paid.

The teams you mentioned have been able to trade away their stars. The Sedins and Edler were never going to leave. That’s 3 more 1st round picks...however as Bert so eloquently said “It is what it is.” Where would we be with 3 more 1st round picks from 2 or 3 years ago?

Your last paragraph is puzzling - can I ask what you are referring to?

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:
45 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

The teams you mentioned have been able to trade away their stars. The Sedins and Edler were never going to leave. That’s 3 more 1st round picks...however as Bert so eloquently said “It is what it is.” Where would we be with 3 more 1st round picks from 2 or 3 years ago?

Your last paragraph is puzzling - can I ask what you are referring to?

How about 2 picks that were winners like those after them. Not the player's they were over rated by management, the same thing for Eriksson, management over rated him and paid him too much and then doubled down with clauses but then Benning hands out high paying contracts with clauses like tic tacs at a garlic tasting party.

Just that Gillis is constantly being blamed for Benning's failures to evaluate and sign really good players as well as the clause contracts that every Gillis player ASKED except Edler waived. Sedins were not asked and even Edler was only inquired if he would be interested not told they had a deal.

Ya where would the team be if they did have Sergachev or Larkin or any of the 10 players selected after Jake and Olli?

Miller may be a good player but not worth a 1rst and 3rd round pick, that is such a bad deal for the Canucks even if he stays healthy and doesn't get his 4th concussion. Benning seems to like concussion guys maybe because he sustained so many himself. Sven, Ferland, Miller, Beagle, Schaller, Roussel all have concussion histories, the most on any one team in the league.

Not to be insulting to him or anyone but maybe that is why he talks so slow, too many concussions.

• 2 months later...