The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joffrey Lupul fails 2nd physical, can be placed on LTIR

Roberts

18 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Come on now, we already know that for years doctors pepped players up on any drugs they'd 'need' to get themselves onto the ice every day. I'm not saying there's definitely something shady going on here, but it isn't as far fetched as you'd have people believe. 

That's not the same situation. What you are describing is negligence something that doctors do get away with on a regular basis, this is willful venality. Insurance fraud is a serious crime and goes well beyond the scope of a hockey league. Doctors are asked to give accurate assessments of victims of accidents or workplace injuries. I have some first hand knowledge with a close friend of mine getting into a car accident and having a recovery that took years. He was hounded by the insurance company and required to have multiple independant assessments to make sure that he was truly not fit for work. It's a pretty big deal if a doctor is faking injury reports to aid and abet insurance scams.

Teams do use loopholes to get out of cap problems and we have seen examples of teams trying to game the system. But there is a big difference between circumventing the CBA and committing real world crimes. The former gets you a timeout from Uncle Gary. The latter lands you in prison. 

11 minutes ago, Toews said:

That's not the same situation. What you are describing is negligence something that doctors do get away with on a regular basis, this is willful venality. Insurance fraud is a serious crime and goes well beyond the scope of a hockey league. Doctors are asked to give accurate assessments of victims of accidents or workplace injuries. I have some first hand knowledge with a close friend of mine getting into a car accident and having a recovery that took years. He was hounded by the insurance company and required to have multiple independant assessments to make sure that he was truly not fit for work. It's a pretty big deal if a doctor is faking injury reports to aid and abet insurance scams.

Teams do use loopholes to get out of cap problems and we have seen examples of teams trying to game the system. But there is a big difference between circumventing the CBA and committing real world crimes. The former gets you a timeout from Uncle Gary. The latter lands you in prison. 

U.S. Charges 412, Including Doctors, in $1.3 Billion Health Fraud

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/13/us/politics/health-care-fraud.html 

Again, I pretty much agree with you, except possibly for the prison part, it depends, it's just that I don't find it that implausible that there could be a teeny number of doctors who might do this type of thing when massive fraud is seemingly routine. 

5 minutes ago, Green Building said:

U.S. Charges 412, Including Doctors, in $1.3 Billion Health Fraud

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/13/us/politics/health-care-fraud.html 

Again, I pretty much agree with you, except possibly for the prison part, it depends, it's just that I don't find it that implausible that there could be a teeny number of doctors who might do this type of thing when massive fraud is seemingly routine. 

I am not saying it's completely implausible either. The way I see it if you provide someone with enough financial incentive then there is a chance they will take the risk of circumventing laws. I doubt the people in the league office would put their hides on the line so that teams could save some cap space. It just seems too unlikely and absurd of a scenario to consider.

22 hours ago, apollo said:

Clearly he got paid off to fail his second physical. 

Money talks. 

Love how the Laughs ownership flexes their wallets to help the team. I wish Aquaman did some more bribing... send a Rolls Royce to the chief of the Old Boys Club! 

Edit: not to say Aquaman hasn't been generous enough with this team. We have world class facilities and infrastructure.

You can’t fake a series of physical health tests; if anything the doctors were paid off

52 minutes ago, mpt said:

You can’t fake a series of physical health tests; if anything the doctors were paid off

What are the physical health tests in the NHL? Are they similar to the draft ones? http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2017-nhl-combine-results-top-10-drill/

They could simply pay Lupul an extra few million to push him self less and fail the tests on purpose. Which is what I think happened... or perhaps paid doctors. 

On 2017-10-04 at 9:07 AM, apollo said:

What are the physical health tests in the NHL? Are they similar to the draft ones? http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2017-nhl-combine-results-top-10-drill/

They could simply pay Lupul an extra few million to push him self less and fail the tests on purpose. Which is what I think happened... or perhaps paid doctors. 

Its essentially a medical assessment, not a physical conditioning test like the combine

• 2 weeks later...

Archived