The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Andrey Pedan, 4th-round pick to Penguins for Derrick Pouliot

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we swapped projects, but our new project might be a puck moving D. Interesting times.... 

JB loves to shop at Winners...    Last years Designer goods at todays....  much   reduced prices..

348s.jpg

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

risbois is more of your traditional 2 way traditional D.  Yes he has a big shot. And skates very well for his size.  Passes well.

It is a bit different than watching Stecher bust moves, and break down players attacking him while he has the puck. A deke, a move, a push forward and he is creating scoring chances. 

Fair point.  I don't recall Brisebois carrying the puck as much as Stecher or even Hutton, but I didn't see him much beyond this Training Camp.

1 hour ago, Dombrova22 said:

I don't enjoy this trade. Pedan is going to tear it up in the future. Mistake in my opinion.

so was shinkaruk......how'd that work out?  Pedan's ceiloing was a 6/7, tops........and I like Pedan.  If they can get Pouliot on track he's a 2/3 ceiling.  I'd take that risk everyday if I'm JB

8 minutes ago, gameburn2 said:

Interesting you say that.  Most of us didn't either.  And yet with all the D around (including Wiercioch), it sort of makes sense to move one.  But to get another D back for Pedan?  We still have too many D.  

Maybe puck-moving-D are hard enough to find that it's worth have 3 or 4 in the system, hoping 1 or 2 work out.  We have Subban, Brisebois, Juolevi and now Pouliot.  To go along with Stecher and Hutton.  Imagine if either of Dahlin or Merkley end up here too? lol. Nashville 2.0.

Subban is likely a bottom pair/spare D if he even makes it to the NHL. Brisebois isn't terribly known for offense and OJ while he'll help create offense, isn't an offensive/PP PMD either. Those guys can all move the puck but they're very different players.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

so was shinkaruk......how'd that work out?  Pedan's ceiloing was a 6/7, tops........and I like Pedan.  If they can get Pouliot on track he's a 2/3 ceiling.  I'd take that risk everyday if I'm JB

Also, the depth chart in Pittsburgh is formidable: Letang and then Schultz. 

I don't mind this deal. Pedan had no spot on our team and Pouliot has a much higher upside. However, I read that one of Pouliots downfalls is his breakout passes. How can a puck moving D have bad breakout passes as one of his key flaws? That's like a power forward who struggles with the physical aspect of the game.

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It seems they only have one spot left when all is said and done, and that spot will likely go to Virtanen.

So much for "making room".

Turns out we were both right. Boeser and Virts on the team opening night will definitely be interesting.

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Subban is likely a bottom pair/spare D if he even makes it to the NHL. Brisebois isn't terribly known for offense and OJ while he'll help create offense, isn't an offensive/PP PMD either. Those guys can all move the puck but they're very different players.

You're right.  But compared to Edler, Tanev, and Gudbranson they seem pretty mobile and with some offensive upside.  I thought Tanev would grow into a more offensive style of D, but that seems like wishful thinking now.

Just now, gameburn2 said:

You're right.  But compared to Edler, Tanev, and Gudbranson they seem pretty mobile and with some offensive upside.  I thought Tanev would grow into a more offensive style of D, but that seems like wishful thinking now.

Brisebois actually plays very similar to Tanev IMO. Puck moving but largely defensive. 

1 minute ago, WiseOne said:

Folks are right, this is a low risk trade, but part of me can't help but think that if they wanted a defenceman with scoring ability for a reclamation project why not just keep working with Subban?

Pouliot = likely #2-#3 D ceiling

Subban = likely #6-#7 D ceiling. 

That's why.

1 minute ago, WiseOne said:

I think that was true at one time, however from what I have read Pouliot's ceiling has been downgraded a lot.

Neither player's stock has risen over the last few years but if they can get Pouliot back on track, that's his ceiling. I'm making no guarantee that he reaches that, That's their ceiling, not necessarily their likely outcomes.

31 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

...and we didn't want DP to go on waivers because Colorado was probably waiting for him.

28 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Exactly

Nothing stopping Colorado from doing a similar move, but perhaps they didn't want to pay or they had nothing Pittsburgh wanted to start with.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

:picard:

Why is there so much trouble with the simple concept of VALUATION?

Pouliot > Pedan

What exactly are you basing your valuation of Pouliot on?  BOTH these players were not finding success in the NHL.  Pedan was hoped to be a hard hitting, defensive player with a little bit of scoring ability.  Clearly we didn't see much in the way of scoring from him in the NHL but he did find somewhat reasonable success in that regard in Utica.  In fact, season before last he was scoring at a point-every-other-game.  He just (so far) was unable to put together a game suitable for the NHL.

Pouliot, on the other hand, was supposed to be a very good player... hence where he was drafted.  He was more consistent at putting up a point every other game for multiple seasons, but otherwise didn't make much of an impact at the NHL level either - especially last season.  And to top it off, he doesn't even play as physical of a game as Pedan does nor is he as big.

Since you imply I grossly underappreciate this trade (so much so that it was worthy of a facepalm and bolding), I ask you where your statistical proof is that Pouliot is far and away better than having Pedan and the 4th?  Or is it just your opinion, and you feel if people don't agree with your opinion that gives you reason to act condescending?

18 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Nothing stopping Colorado from doing a similar move, but perhaps they didn't want to pay or they had nothing Pittsburgh wanted to start with.

Colorado wouldn't have paid as much because they had first crack at claiming him (and probably would have).

I think on our end we saw that Juolevi might be a bit longer away than they had hoped.  Getting another prospect/reclamation project that has 2nd pairing potential for a low price seems wise.

if all works out then Hutton could be expandable as an asset.

I think JB has earned the benefit of the doubt with some of these moves.  Granlund looks like a fire player and Baertschi has become a valuable asset.

I wonder if this came about when they were kicking around a C option for Pittsburgh and couldn't make a deal.

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

6' tall eighth overall

Pedan is 6'3, and heavier.  And just because a guy was selected 8th overall, does that really mean anything if they never lived up to expectations?  

I did however, enjoy seeing your ninja edit where you removed the belief that Pouliot was significantly heavier than Pedan when he really isn't. :)

Archived