The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Andrey Pedan, 4th-round pick to Penguins for Derrick Pouliot

On 10/14/2017 at 3:08 PM, Ruxin'sVinegarStrokes said:

I'm 37 dip sh!t and been watching hockey for 30 years.  I just can't listen to the anti-analytics drivel anymore.  Yours especially.  If you honestly think Sbisa is a top pairing dman then you have other problems.  You might not like anylitics but some find it interesting and like looking at the game a different way.  Pushing your annoying agenda has become tiresome.  Take the damn chip off your shoulder and try opening your eyes to different opinions and analysis. 

Age doesn't make u wiser. analytics without perspective is useless. 

On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 3:08 PM, Ruxin'sVinegarStrokes said:

I'm 37 dip sh!t and been watching hockey for 30 years.  I just can't listen to the anti-analytics drivel anymore.  Yours especially.  If you honestly think Sbisa is a top pairing dman then you have other problems.  You might not like anylitics but some find it interesting and like looking at the game a different way.  Pushing your annoying agenda has become tiresome.  Take the damn chip off your shoulder and try opening your eyes to different opinions and analysis. 

37 and unable to grasp maturity nor the ability to weigh arguments. Not to mention the fact that you have to swear at him to prove a point. 

Oldnews' point was that analytics can be used but should be used with caution. Look how poorly certain teams are doing that were notoriously focussing on analytics.

I have no doubt that Green subscribes to analytics But understanda that there is a time and place for it.

(he's LikE a math person, given how well he does in Poker) 

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:08 PM, Ruxin'sVinegarStrokes said:

You might want to use analytics on your paragraph to ensure that "anylitics" is spelled correctly through out. Just sayin'

21 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Looks like an even trade at this moment but still early and it will be a while before we know who came out better. 

????? how in the world is it an even trade at this point.

Pouliout already has games under his belt with us, looked good given the circumstances at this point.

4th round pick hasn't even made the NHL yet.

Pedan could barely crack a top 6 d spot on the 2nd worst team in the NHL,  hard to imagine I'm doing the same on a Stanley cup winning team.

so please kindly explain how is it a even trade.

Your post reminds me of when the haters were saying ohhh the Hodgson kassian is even, even though at that point we still had him, buffalo already bought him, Kassian played a fine role playing teammate as a checker hitter, yet its an even trade.  

so please explain how is it a even trade.  

Im loving this trade so far, pouliot is showing more moves on the blue line then we have seen in a while

and being sound enough defensive that he doesn't stand out at all. 

Pedan may make the NHL one day, but I don't suggest holding your breath as guys don't make the bigs with toughness alone anymore. 

not a bad first four games here

5 hits

5 blocks

3 takeaways.

1 assist

about 16:30 minutes / game (with a couple top 4 out)

solid again tonight - really looking like he'll make the blueline deeper, possilbly command a spot in the (healthy) top 6 in the near future.

On 10/14/2017 at 11:20 AM, Ruxin'sVinegarStrokes said:

Every team in the league is using analytics now.  Get into the 21st century old man.

On 10/14/2017 at 3:08 PM, Ruxin'sVinegarStrokes said:

It seems clear to me, you have zero knowledge of mathematical modelling and as such, what 'analytics' are meant to convey. 

Every team has analytics in their team now ? Good. i expect them to, since they are running 150M operations and if paying another guy 80K is going to give them a sliver of advantage, they will. But make no mistake, analytics are as relevant to hockey, as the parsley garnish is on top of Salmon- its nice, it adds a definite 'something' but it is irrelevant to the big picture (whole meal/team building).

If you wish to continue this, i will be happy to oblige, given that my previous career WAS in mathematical modelling. And i can safely say, 90% of the 'analytics teams' in the NHL are first year flunkies in math. Because they simply cannot distinguish between the two MAIN things you NEED to distinguish, to accurately model ANYTHING mathematically : correlation and causation.

13 hours ago, oldnews said:

Hard to compete with the Granlund/Shinkaruk thread, but this one could wind up a fun read in the future as well.

As soon as the trade was announced I was looking for this thread to complete the trilogy of kneejerk freak outs by CDC.  As with the end of most trilogies it was the Return of the Jedi of the three, a bit of a let down.  Still enjoyable to see who is eating crow now though!

2 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

As soon as the trade was announced I was looking for this thread to complete the trilogy of kneejerk freak outs by CDC.  As with the end of most trilogies it was the Return of the Jedi of the three, a bit of a let down.  Still enjoyable to see who is eating crow now though!

You would think the usual suspects would get tired of being wrong...

Granlund trade, Gudbranson trade, Sutter trade, Dorsett and Sbisa signings etc, etc....

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

You would think the usual suspects would get tired of being wrong...

Granlund trade, Gudbranson trade, Sutter trade, Dorsett and Sbisa signings etc, etc....

To be fair, Dorsett and Sbisa were unnecessarily overpaid. So they have an argument there.

Also, an argument can be made that Florida won the Gudbranson deal and Bonino was an absolute beast in the playoffs for Pittsburgh. Just playing devil's advocate here.

11 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

To be fair, Dorsett and Sbisa were unnecessarily overpaid. So they have an argument there.

Also, an argument can be made that Florida won the Gudbranson deal and Bonino was an absolute beast in the playoffs for Pittsburgh. Just playing devil's advocate here.

If we traded Horvat for Dominic Moore, and we played better with Moore and won more games, I'd struggle to complain. Some trades you lose the better player but come out better off for it.

2 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

If we traded Horvat for Dominic Moore, and we played better with Moore and won more games, I'd struggle to complain. Some trades you lose the better player but come out better off for it.

Sure, but that's assuming we can say we're better or worse off specifically because of the players we acquired. When judging a trade, for the most part, it comes down to the success of those individual payers. Also, if we aren't looking at this objectively, we would have to take into account how bad we've been since acquiring Sutter and Gudbranson. This turn around has really only been for the last couple weeks.

For the record, I've always been a supporter of the Sutter trade. As for the Gudbranson deal, I'm somewhere in the middle. Although I understand trading McCann because of his alleged locker room issues. My point is, an argument can be made for both sides.

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'd counter they were marginally 'overpaid' (A few hundred k each as though that makes any difference to anyone on CDC) and not 'unnecessarily' at all. We were hardly a prime free agent destination a few years ago and had basically zero depth. AKA desperate. We were a player agents wet dream.

Bonino feasted on the match ups gifted to him with PITs offensive depth/top 6 line mates playing 3rd line. He's a good player but he was clearly a beneficiary of circumstance there. People looking at that and declaring it a loss for the Canucks don't 'get it' or why Sutter was the more desirable player here.

Archived