The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Andrey Pedan, 4th-round pick to Penguins for Derrick Pouliot

So back to that Pouliot D man we traded for...

Liked the trade from the very beginning, great move on the goal he scored, he read the play and just went for it! Very happy to see him succeeding as a Canuck.

But the bigger question, when Gudbranson is back in about a week or so, is Derrick the guy to come out? Or are we going to sitting someone else?

7 minutes ago, Yotes said:

So back to that Pouliot D man we traded for...

Liked the trade from the very beginning, great move on the goal he scored, he read the play and just went for it! Very happy to see him succeeding as a Canuck.

But the bigger question, when Gudbranson is back in about a week or so, is Derrick the guy to come out? Or are we going to sitting someone else?

Pouliot has been one of our best D-men since coming over, getting better and better every game. Good defensively, brilliant offensive explosion lately, there's no way he comes out.

Stecher has been average this season offensively, better defensively but still not great.

Hutton has been God-awful all season long.

IMO our depth chart right now goes:

Tanev > Edler > Pouliot = MDZ = Gudbranson > Stecher > Hutton

Hutton or Stecher sit, we've made so much progress with Pouliot so far and he's gaining momentum and only getting better every single game, Green would be an idiot to sit him any time soon.

8 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Pouliot has been one of our best D-men since coming over, getting better and better every game. Good defensively, brilliant offensive explosion lately, there's no way he comes out.

Stecher has been average this season offensively, better defensively but still not great.

Hutton or Stecher sit, we've made so much progress with Pouliot so far and he's gaining momentum and only getting better every single game, Green would be an idiot to sit him any time soon.

Dont get we wrong Pouliot has be quite good. I think Stecher has that determination factor ala Biega. Hutton has had some poor games but recently he has made some good plays defensively.

What I would rather see if a trade. When Guddy comes back, we can still have decent depth if we were to move a D man. I think it may take until the new year though to see if we can lock up gudbranson or not. If he prices himself out of a deal then the Canucks have to move him at the deadline regardless of where we are in the standings. we should get a decent return for Guddy, hopefully targetting a D or W prospect or current fringe NHLer buried on a deep team.

I would then trade for Luke Schenn for Arizona as a gritty bottom pair D man

18 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Your little depth chart doesn't take left or right side into consideration. Might as well throw markstrom in there too...

6 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Your little depth chart doesn't take left or right side into consideration. Might as well throw markstrom in there too...

Pouliot has played both sides, so to me its simple

If Hutton is out when Guddy returns, Pouliot plays the left side

edler tanev

mdz guddy

Pouliot Stecher

If Stecher is out when guddy returns Pouliot plays the right side

edler stecher

mdz pouliot

hutton guddy

Dont read into the pairings just jotted em down quickly

9 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Lol, fortunately the guy this thread is discussing can play both sides adequately. 

I'm thinking when Guddy comes back, Hutton sits. He's been a little panicked all season, it could do him good to sit. As per handedness, maybe:

Edler - Tanev

MDZ - Gudbranson

Pouliot - Stecher

On 10/3/2017 at 3:39 PM, kloubek said:

I agree Pedan didn't have any value.  But I'm not going to call it a win, and it lies in that 4th pick.  Benning has already proven to be a good drafter, and Pouliot has already proven he is unlikely to reach his ceiling.  Reading HFboards, Penguins fans are happy to see him out of there - presumably for that exact reason.

So basically, we gave up an admittedly not great player and a draft pick for the CHANCE that Pouliot might turn it around.  That's a sure-fire win to you?  Alrighty.

On 10/3/2017 at 3:59 PM, kingofsurrey said:

I love posters declaring a winner from this  trade.    2 guys that can't crack NHL rosters and some posters are declaring a club as winning the trade.

Wait a year or 2 before deciding who won this swap of spare parts. 

Wow, really. 

I reiterate again:

On 10/3/2017 at 3:34 PM, aGENT said:

If Pedan doesn't reach his ceiling, he's not in the NHL.

He's already on the verge of being passed by McEneny, Chatfield, Holm and Brisebois. Juolevi will be soon to follow.

He was already close to 'worthless'. And we just got a potential top 4, offensive PMD for him. Call it the win that it is. 

On 10/3/2017 at 4:15 PM, aGENT said:

This:

We traded something we weren't using and a low ceiling with a low percentage 4th for a promising lottery ticket. If he plays NHL games for us, it's a win, if he doesn't, it's a draw.

The worst we can do on this trade is a draw. The best is a serious, serious win. To me that's a 'win' even in 'today's' dollars. No need to wait. 

On 11/9/2017 at 11:23 AM, aGENT said:

::D Since this thread keeps getting bumped, I reiterate:

normal.png?1315257207

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Just like CDC being wrong about Markstrom, Hutton's actually quietly having a pretty good year. Yes, he still looks a touch discombobulated in his own end at times. But is underlying numbers and play in general have largely been pretty darn good and the coach's are trusting him with a lot of minutes etc.

As much as I love the guy, it may be Stech coming out. He's also likely the closest redundant skill set to Pouliot.

January 1 can't come soon enough to re-sign Guddy and then ideally trade Edler leading up to the TDL. Thankfully his excellent play of late has likely boosted his value.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Just like CDC being wrong about Markstrom, Hutton's actually quietly having a pretty good year. Yes, he still looks a touch discombobulated in his own end at times. But is underlying numbers and play in general have largely been pretty darn good and the coach's are trusting him with a lot of minutes etc.

As much as I love the guy, it may be Stech coming out. He's also likely the closest redundant skill set to Pouliot.

January 1 can't come soon enough to re-sign Guddy and then ideally trade Edler leading up to the TDL. Thankfully his excellent play of late has likely boosted his value.

I figured he'd be around 20th in stats (its on the record somewhere in here) and would have been fine with that. He's exceeding that by a fair bit in some areas (GAA, sv%) so yay us. I'm hoping getting the shutout gives him a confidence boost and he wont get the yips late in games.

I can't see Stecher sitting over Hutton. Stechers possession stats are a little bit better and he's more physical than Ben. Ben is pretty soft this year.... plus Hutton's minutes are the ones being reduced. I'd say there's more signs pointing to Hutton sitting.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I figured he'd be around 20th in stats (its on the record somewhere in here) and would have been fine with that. He's exceeding that by a fair bit in some areas (GAA, sv%) so yay us. I'm hoping getting the shutout gives him a confidence boost and he wont get the yips late in games.

I can't see Stecher sitting over Hutton. Stechers possession stats are a little bit better and he's more physical than Ben. Ben is pretty soft this year.... plus Hutton's minutes are the ones being reduced. I'd say there's more signs pointing to Hutton sitting.

In regards to Markstrom:

Hutton also plays harder minutes (10% + higher dzone starts for example). And Hutton's minutes appear to be going largely (and rightly) to Pouliot recently, not Stecher. But it's only been the last 2-3 games his minutes have been reduced, which is a pretty damn small sample size. He still has played and largely continues to play more minutes than Stecher.

I also invite you to read this:

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/10/26/deep-dive-ben-hutton-is-better-than-you-think-he-is-unless-you-already-think-hes-really-good/

Now by all means, I'm no huge Hutton apologist. I've numerous times stated I don't think he's necessarily in the team's long term plans. But for a young kid still learning to be a pro, he's paying harder (and bigger) minutes and with relative success, with a lack of credit from all the armchair GM's on here. 

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

In regards to Markstrom:

Hutton also plays harder minutes (10% + higher dzone starts for example). And Hutton's minutes appear to be going largely (and rightly) to Pouliot recently, not Stecher. But it's only been the last 2-3 games his minutes have been reduced, which is a pretty damn small sample size. He still has played and largely continues to play more minutes than Stecher.

I also invite you to read this:

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/10/26/deep-dive-ben-hutton-is-better-than-you-think-he-is-unless-you-already-think-hes-really-good/

Now by all means, I'm no huge Hutton apologist. I've numerous times stated I don't think he's necessarily in the team's long term plans. But for a young kid still learning to be a pro, he's paying harder (and bigger) minutes and with relative success, with a lack of credit from all the armchair GM's on here. 

Thats actually one of the best articles I've ever seen on assessing D, thanks. Edler haters should give that one a little look too.

I'm glad its not me making the decision :lol:

Pouliot got more points in one game (3 last night against CAR) than Pedan will probably get in his NHL career. So far Pedan has zero points in 13 NHL games played. Pouliot has 10 points so far this year alone, in the 25 games he's played. Yep, I think VAN won this trade hands down. Sure, it also cost us a 4th as well, but that doesn't matter much in the grand scheme. We got a young, puck moving D who can play both sides, who came from a winning culture in PIT. This can only be good. To put things further into perspective, Pouliot played 67 games with PIT and recorded 14 points. He's almost at 14 after only 25 games and is only getting better and better.

Pouliot may have the highest ceiling of any Dman we have had in an awful long time.  He was a stud for Team Canada, and was the CHL defenseman of the year.  He never got much of a chance to excel in Pittsburgh, and for good reason,as they were competing for cups.  Aside from a couple of games, he has improved each time out.  I'd say his ceiling is a 40 pt defensively sound player.  He may never get there, but I do feel he has the  potential to.

3 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Pouliot may have the highest ceiling of any Dman we have had in an awful long time.  He was a stud for Team Canada, and was the CHL defenseman of the year.  He never got much of a chance to excel in Pittsburgh, and for good reason,as they were competing for cups.  Aside from a couple of games, he has improved each time out.  I'd say his ceiling is a 40 pt defensively sound player.  He may never get there, but I do feel he has the  potential to.

How is Pittsburgh's defense doing these days.............

The trades looking good for van and pouliot has looked better and better. Alot of that goes to green and baumer.

I was one that wasn’t sold and a fan of what pedan brought.

still wish we could have sent wiercoich and a 4th  instead of pedan and a 4th but with pouliot exceeding expectations so far it’s hard to be upset. 

However if Gud is not resigned the back end is a pretty soft group.again.

Archived