The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Andrey Pedan, 4th-round pick to Penguins for Derrick Pouliot

I suppose any trade for a young guy has a chance of becoming a steal in the end, but why use that comparison here? There are no signs of such.

The guy gets an average of a point every third game.  He might be our most dynamic defenseman but that only speaks to the sad state of affairs of our blueline.

Not saying the trade wasn't good; at least we have a servicable player and he's done better than I expected but I'd hardly compare DP to a guy who was integral to this team for years and a league leader in his position.

I see DP being a poor mans PMD at best.... good for our 2nd pp unit in his prime.  I might he wrong, but I feel any belief he will become more than that is just a pipe dream.

41 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I suppose any trade for a young guy has a chance of becoming a steal in the end, but why use that comparison here? There are no signs of such.

The guy gets an average of a point every third game.  He might be our most dynamic defenseman but that only speaks to the sad state of affairs of our blueline.

Not saying the trade wasn't good; at least we have a servicable player and he's done better than I expected but I'd hardly compare DP to a guy who was integral to this team for years and a league leader in his position.

I see DP being a poor mans PMD at best.... good for our 2nd pp unit in his prime.  I might he wrong, but I feel any belief he will become more than that is just a pipe dream.

Generally agree with the caveat that Pouliot has not had an extended period of opportunity. It appears that Green/Benning is willing to give him that. We probably have not seen the full upside on this kid yet. 

56 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I'm sorry, but anyone who is predicting the ceiling for a 23 year old defenseman who before coming here never even had a full season (the most games he got was 35) of play on a stacked Penguins team is out to lunch.

Could he end up not progressing? Sure, but to make a judgement that he's only going to be a 2nd PP D when most D-men hit their prime around 27-28 it is wayyyy too early to say. He could end up being a top 4 or even top 2 D, who knows.

This isn't directed just at you, but I'm getting really tired of users making these kinds of statements on the forum after only a season or even less then that of play with the Canucks. No one knows if they're going to progress, regress or stay the same, only that player knows and even then sometimes things happen outside of their control.

Enjoy the fact that we have young guys who could potentially develop into more instead of constantly stating "as a matter of fact he's only going to get to *insert level of play here*".

It's my biggest pet peeve on this forum.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

And what numbers do you see for this weeks 6/49 draw cleo?

1280x720-4nU.jpg

Way to early to declare DP's skill set one way or another. Way to young. Just because some kids develop and step up early doesn't mean all do. .Outside of goaltending, defence is the most difficult position on the ice. He has the tools to excel. You may be right in the end. But we are still years from a final product with DP. I for one think he is just scratching the surface of his full abilities. Still think this may go down as one of the Canucks best trades ever.

4 hours ago, kloubek said:

Say at his peak, he's 'only' a 2nd pair/2nd pp guy (which as has been noted it's far too early to put any ceiling on him). Getting that for what is likely a borderline AHL/depth NHL D and a late pick is still a win any way you slice it. 

Did we just pick up the next Karlsson? Probably not. But it's still a heck of an upgrade with potential to become a massive steal. 

4 hours ago, Mattrek said:

I'm sorry, but anyone who is predicting the ceiling for a 23 year old defenseman

Mathematically, predicting he is going to have limited success is FAR more likely than predicting we just stole him in Naslundesque fashion. 

I agree - none of us truly know his ceiling or how he will develop.  That rings true of many if not most such predictions. It might be your pet peeve, but as fans I think its pretty normal to speculate on the ceilings of our players and I happen to take the position that he's not going to be as good as many seem to think.

Again though, it looks to have been a sound trade so far and I'm hoping it really was an enormous steal for us.

On 12/30/2017 at 2:12 PM, kloubek said:

Mathematically, predicting he is going to have limited success is FAR more likely than predicting we just stole him in Naslundesque fashion.

We traded an AHL player with a concussion history and a low pick for an NHL player.  Not sure how that can be seen as anything but an upgrade.

19 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

We traded an AHL player with a concussion history and a low pick for an NHL player.  Not sure how that can be seen as anything but an upgrade.

Where in the post you quoted did I even imply otherwise?  All I'm saying is that it remains to be seen and is also unlikely that this trade will garner results anywhere close to the trade that brought Nazzy to Vancouver.

While I did indeed initially feel the trade was most likely to end up a relatively lateral move, I'm happy to admit I was wrong. Ill be even happer if he turns out to be a star pmd for us. But all this claiming he is going to be a stud or that the trade was a fleecing the likes of the Naslund trade is both premature and also likely to end up incorrect from an odds perspective.

8 hours ago, kloubek said:

Where in the post you quoted did I even imply otherwise?  All I'm saying is that it remains to be seen and is also unlikely that this trade will garner results anywhere close to the trade that brought Nazzy to Vancouver.

While I did indeed initially feel the trade was most likely to end up a relatively lateral move, I'm happy to admit I was wrong. Ill be even happer if he turns out to be a star pmd for us. But all this claiming he is going to be a stud or that the trade was a fleecing the likes of the Naslund trade is both premature and also likely to end up incorrect from an odds perspective.

I get what you're saying. I think DP will probably settle in around a decent # 4. That's a fairly realistic prediction and definitely quite the steal for us. If you think CDC is a bit over the top for DP, it's probably because they can't remember the last young dman we've developed into a solid NHL player. We'd probably have to go all the way back to Tanev and Edler. That's a pretty sad state of affairs! Hutton and Stetcher both had good rookie years but tailed off pretty dramatically. DP is our new golden boy. Even though the bar is set pretty low!

28 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I get what you're saying. I think DP will probably settle in around a decent # 4. That's a fairly realistic prediction and definitely quite the steal for us. If you think CDC is a bit over the top for DP, it's probably because they can't remember the last young dman we've developed into a solid NHL player. We'd probably have to go all the way back to Tanev and Edler. That's a pretty sad state of affairs! Hutton and Stetcher both had good rookie years but tailed off pretty dramatically. DP is our new golden boy. Even though the bar is set pretty low!

Agreed on all accounts - though I still have some faith in Hutton but especially in Stecher that they will improve.  If nothing else at least we have ok depth of mid to bottom pairing guys and Tanev remains an elite shutdown guy.  With Juolevi fitting in somewhere in the top half, we are really only 1 star defenseman away from having a decent defense again.

(Only.  Like star defensemen grow on trees)

26 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Agreed on all accounts - though I still have some faith in Hutton but especially in Stecher that they will improve.  If nothing else at least we have ok depth of mid to bottom pairing guys and Tanev remains an elite shutdown guy.  With Juolevi fitting in somewhere in the top half, we are really only 1 star defenseman away from having a decent defense again.

(Only.  Like star defensemen grow on trees)

Hutton has struggled. Sure liked Hutton's game against LA. If that Hutton shows up regularly he's a top four D.

3 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Hutton and Stetcher both had good rookie years but tailed off pretty dramatically. DP is our new golden boy. Even though the bar is set pretty low!

To be fair, they're still both quite young. Young D do tend to struggle with consistency (especially when they're not highly drafted phenoms) and both have/are dealing with, common 'sophomore slumps'.

Development rarely takes a nice linear path. And neither was particularly expected to be a top pair D. Either developing in to steady, bottom 4 D is still found money. 

Archived