The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael Del Zotto | #4 | D

-AJ-

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

without brock (his 22 goals has made our offense look better then it is - basically no one else is scoring)

this team is far worse then then team that played last year

that is reality

he has made this awful team look much better then it is

Not sure what any of that has to do with my point.

System is different for sure this year, makes the games much more fun to watch as the team is hustling (well, should be hustling).  What is the big difference to me is the goal tending.  Miller provided more stability on our back end than either Markstrom or Nilsson have provided and combined with a less defensive structure we're sunk.  I think our defence was actually upgraded during the summer from what we had last season.  Liked the MDZ signing, probably Wiercoch would be playing if we hadn't gone out and signed Pouliot early in the year, he's been a pleasant surprise as well.  We've had some injuries that have hurt, both our defensive centers have been out an extended period of time which has hurt.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, rekker said:

MDZ has been a pleasant surprise. Was kind of shocked when we signed him.

I would move MDZ at the TDL if Benning got an offer of a 2nd Rounder. I doubt that will happen but one can dream. He is a gamer and a decent transition player to 3 years out but is not a long term hold. He gets caught a lot. I keep Hutton over MDZ. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Michael Del Zotto is one hit away from 200 for the season. He has the 3rd most hits of any NHL defensemen. 

The only D-men who have more are Robert Hagg from PHI (232) & Nikita Zadorov from COL (206).

Shocking. I would have never guessed he hit that much.

• 4 weeks later...

I am very surprised to see Del Zotto 5th in the league in hits with 244, just 10 behind Lucic's 254 who is 2nd overall in the league. Also Biega, Archibald, and Del Zotto finished top 20 in hits per game and we had a total of 7 players in the top 100 (+ Gudbranson, Virtanen, Motte, Edler). 

• 1 month later...

Looking back at the season, Del Zotto played a pretty good season.  Those first 3 or 4 games where he logged 25+ minutes and did it well, raised the expectations for him.  Thought he did exactly what he was supposed to do when signed.  Insulate the backend and when he was placed within his wheel house, I thought he played fairly well.  

I like he has the ability to be both a good puck mover, but has that veteran savvy to change his game to be an aggressive, in your face kind of dman.

I really liked what I saw when he and Stecher were paired together.  I know people crap on him a lot, but IMO he was the least of our problems last season.

On 5/15/2018 at 12:44 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Looking back at the season, Del Zotto played a pretty good season.  Those first 3 or 4 games where he logged 25+ minutes and did it well, raised the expectations for him.  Thought he did exactly what he was supposed to do when signed.  Insulate the backend and when he was placed within his wheel house, I thought he played fairly well.  

I like he has the ability to be both a good puck mover, but has that veteran savvy to change his game to be an aggressive, in your face kind of dman.

I really liked what I saw when he and Stecher were paired together.  I know people crap on him a lot, but IMO he was the least of our problems last season.

Funny how people can watch the same player and see things differently. MDZ certainly did not take many shifts off. Lots of effort and a consistent hitter. My issue with him was there was no offence to speak of and he had many brutal night in his own zone. I was hoping JB could flip him for a draft pick at the TDL but that didn't happen. 

The question next fall will be who gets the TOI. If Tanev is moved I can see keeping MDZ but there are UFA's floating around as well. JB has CAP space to work with so signing a UFA d-man is not out of the question. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2018 at 9:18 AM, canucklehead44 said:

I am very surprised to see Del Zotto 5th in the league in hits with 244, just 10 behind Lucic's 254 who is 2nd overall in the league. Also Biega, Archibald, and Del Zotto finished top 20 in hits per game and we had a total of 7 players in the top 100 (+ Gudbranson, Virtanen, Motte, Edler). 

....because the narrative is the team is "soft" and doesn't hit so facts mess with that.    Virtanen was actually in top 10 in league for forwards in hits per 60 minutes.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

....because the narrative is the team is "soft" and doesn't hit so facts mess with that.    Virtanen was actually in top 10 in league for forwards in hits per 60 minutes.

Back when the Canucks were a good team we were usually bottom of the league in hits. A lot of it might have to do with puck control as well. Back when the Leafs were really bad they would lead the league in hits. You can't hit if you have the puck. That said I like the energy of guys like Virtanen, Biega, Motte, Archibald. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/16/2018 at 5:38 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Hits are probably the most unreliable stat for discerning toughness.

Probably worse than +/- as a useful stat. At least +/- isn't subject to the whims of each buildings stats guy.

Using TSN stats, top ten include Del Z, Lucic. Reeves, T. Wilson and Zadorov. Who would you most rather line up against in a tough 7 game series? 

I'm guessing 99% of the world would pick Del Z.

Numbers 41-50 goes from C. Miller > J Virtanen, I'm thinking Virtanen inflicts more pain with his 156 hits than does Miller with 165. Just a hunch.

Further down the list from 341-350 (mid league) is T. Myers, S. Weber, M Hanzel and M. Grabner. Grabner had the most hits but Canuck fans know all too well what M. Hanzel can do in one shift.

Hey Brock Boesser out hit Connor McD by one hit. That hit cost Brock 1/3 of the season.

Watching Jake hit is awesome and will likely be better next year. If he adds 100 hits he'd rank 2nd in the league.

Meanwhile Biega/Motte/Archi barely combined to play 1 full season in a Canuck jersey.

There are glass hitters and freight train hitters. Not all hits are created equal and  not all hits are counted equally.

• 2 months later...