The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael Del Zotto | #4 | D

-AJ-

On 10/16/2018 at 1:30 PM, DeNiro said:

I could see Benning looking at a Pouliot or Del Zotto trade involving Sprong or Aston-Reese on the other side. We've been rumored to be interested in Sprong, but the chance to reunite Gaudette and Aston-Reese might be tempting.

Source, sir?  Not sure why the Pens would move a guy who was PPG in his first pro season.

21 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

me I think Zel Zotton gets thrown on waivers if he doesn't start playing better

He's not an all-star but he can throw an occasional hit, and isn't as much of a trainwreck in his own zone as Weber or Larsen were.  We also have a coach who won't hesitate to hold him accountable if he does screw up.  Half of CDC wants Tanev and Edler moved anyway and we need a warm boy to take up some minutes while OJ marinades on the farm.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He's not an all-star but he can throw an occasional hit, and isn't as much of a trainwreck in his own zone as Weber or Larsen were.  We also have a coach who won't hesitate to hold him accountable if he does screw up.  Half of CDC wants Tanev and Edler moved anyway and we need a warm boy to take up some minutes while OJ marinades on the farm.

Add to that the guy is sincerely happy to be a Canuck.  Anyone remember the Vrbatas and Prusts of the hockey world? Players that look and act like they would rather be somewhere else? MDZ has his warts but his last game was his first in awhile. Lets cut him some slack.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Half of CDC wants Tanev and Edler moved anyway and we need a warm boy to take up some minutes while OJ marinades on the farm.

And half of them want Edler moved because he 'sucks', not because of his trade value.

They're also likely the same people who bitch about how bad our 6th and 7th D's looked with Edler and Tanev out the other night :rolleyes:

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Look at the Jordan Greenway goal, Del Zotto completely failed at physically containing him and by the end of the goal it looked like he was barely trying to challenge him. When you watch Canucks games pay attention to the breakouts, Del Zotto rarely makes a great pass that causes a scoring chance the other way, he seems simply content with making low risk low reward plays just to get it out of the blue line. He's not terrible, but he's not much more than a 6/7 Dman on a cup contending team.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, LOL_dre said:

A player who was plus 1 was the sole reason we lost?

Going out of your way to hit a rookie in the last 3 mins of a tied game way after the puck's moved on is inexcusable for a veteran D. Show's poor judgement, low intelligence, low compete level (focusing on the wrong things and not about winning)... Thought Del Zotto had a decent game otherwise but I just lost it when he made that hit.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, J-P said:

Going out of your way to hit a rookie in the last 3 mins of a tied game way after the puck's moved on is inexcusable for a veteran D. Show's poor judgement, low intelligence, low compete level (focusing on the wrong things and not about winning)... Thought Del Zotto had a decent game otherwise but I just lost it when he made that hit.

That was a total brain cramp, WHY? did he do that, then?? Each team gets a point, get it into overtime bonus chances, and call it a night.

I am sure that MDZ realizes he is a place holder for a prospect playing in Utica right now. He tries to be effective each shift to improve his status. He is generally a reliable 5 or 6 dman on a rebuilding team. His time is limited but he battles on. I like his physicality which is consistent. His late hit wa something a vet should not do. I was more concerned about the chances he was taking up ice. A lot of risky plays. Nice skater. I suggest Pouliot gets more byes from Green than MDZ gets. Understandable as MDZ is a vet and Green is trying to get Pouliot's career established. Both are on the bubble and would be fools not to realize that.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...