The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael Del Zotto | #4 | D

-AJ-

17 hours ago, aGENT said:

Having that argument with FTG over in CT. He desparately wants to hang on to Baer :lol: I vote move him and slot Goldy in.

I certainly agree that replacing FTG with Goldy would substantially improve this forum. I'm sure Goldy would write better posts than FTG. :lol:

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

He has done very well covering for Edler and logging big minutes. In his first 10 games with the Canucks, he has five points, with two of them being on the powerplay. He is also tied for the most shots by a Canucks player, which is great to see since, in the past, we have had trouble getting shots through and on net from the blueline.

• Upvote 1

Small sample size but I might have to eat crow on this player.   He is showing some defensive zone responsibility I wasn't aware he was capable of doing.   If he does this all season, I will admit I was wrong on this player who I felt was a poor signing by the Canucks.

14 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Small sample size but I might have to eat crow on this player.   He is showing some defensive zone responsibility I wasn't aware he was capable of doing.   If he does this all season, I will admit I was wrong on this player who I felt was a poor signing by the Canucks.

I wasn't familiar with Del Zotto so when I saw him play for us I was amazed at his defensive play. He consistently played the body, moved the puck up ice quickly and even had the occasional forays in the offensive zone. He plays with a lot of energy and emotion. To quote a reporter after a good game by Kyle Wellwood, "is a bit of a man possessed" out there.

I wonder why the change in his play.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Alexandre said:

I wasn't familiar with Del Zotto so when I saw him play for us I was amazed at his defensive play. He consistently played the body, moved the puck up ice quickly and even had the occasional forays in the offensive zone. He plays with a lot of energy and emotion. To quote a reporter after a good game by Kyle Wellwood, "is a bit of a man possessed" out there.

I wonder why the change in his play.

He was mainly an offensive Dman when he was young, but he turned 27 this summer, which is about when many Dmen hit their prime and their games become more complete. Also, maybe he is tired of teams giving up on him.

The team that drafted him traded him, then his next two teams let him go when his contracts ended. Those could have been wake up calls for him. Whatever the reasons for his improved defensive play, I am happy to have him in Vancouver.

• Upvote 2

^Yes, I think you're right. He is playing a well rounded game with a lot of urgency. He looks like a player that wants to make a home here. I have seen enough and would prefer Del Zotto to stay here long term rather flip him for a measly draft pick.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed he's been struggling the past couple of weeks?  Not confident with the puck, giveaways, poor passes, missed assignments.

Not sure what happened, but your statement seems to describe several of our D.  MDZ, Pouliot, Guddy have all struggled recently.  As for MDZ, wonder if the extra minutes are catching up to him?  Not sure he's been used to being a top pairing D and everything that goes with that.  He's done amazingly well, but at some point the high minutes and tough matchups must start to affect a player who isn't used to it?  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah, could be the minutes alright.  Gudbranson also doesn't look as good as he did earlier on, and I've had enough of Biega.  He brings absolutely zero offense (yes, even less than Gudbranson) and is simply not an every-game guy.  Stecher will be welcomed back in his place.

With regards to Biega, I'm a little surprised Wiercioch hasn't had a game or 2.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The biggest issue with the d-core, other than scoring, is their struggle to bring the puck up ice. Biega is decent in the area as he can skate it or throw a pass. No he is not a top 6 d-man but his ability to come in on injuries is a valuable asset. I agree with your question of Wiercioch. If he is not playing one has to question what Green is seeing in practise.

14 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I have to think the key thing keeping Biega in is that he's right handed. We've already got Pouliot playing his off side, pulling Biega (on top of both Tanev and Stecher being out) would leave only Gudbranson as the only natural righty. 

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Michael Del Zotto | #4 | D
  • 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

1 assist and +3 tonight along with his goal mouth save. Seems like it was a good one for him.

Seems more comfortable beside Gudbranson. Takes more charge in his game when the two are paired together.

Also thought moving Pouliot beside Stecher was a great pairing too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

1 assist and +3 tonight along with his goal mouth save. Seems like it was a good one for him.

I don't see it. MDZ is the weakest d-man of the group. My impression is that the speed of the game in the d-zone overwhelms him. Caught out of position a lot. Gudbranson bailed him out how many times last night? If he was more consistent in the o-zone I might be more positive. Not enough ppg to out weight the d-zone mistakes. I like his attitude and work ethic. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:02 AM, Boudrias said:

I don't see it. MDZ is the weakest d-man of the group. My impression is that the speed of the game in the d-zone overwhelms him. Caught out of position a lot. Gudbranson bailed him out how many times last night? If he was more consistent in the o-zone I might be more positive. Not enough ppg to out weight the d-zone mistakes. I like his attitude and work ethic. 

Hate to say it, Boudrias, but the weakest member of the defensive corps is sitting out and may be traded in short time.

• Upvote 1