The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anders Nilsson | #31 | G

-AJ-

I think he'll do better once he settles in as well, but Markstrom will at least hold the net for the first third of the year. It's possible Marky has some bad outings, but he'll get enough chances early to do so, and Nilsson will really have to get hot to have a bigger run.

He had a very good year last year with the Sabres so here's hoping that he bucks the trend of his pre-Sabres bad to mediocre years and has the same kind of year with the Canucks.  They could use a goalie who puts up a save percentage above .920

He has the physical tools and God knows that last year's Sabres defence didn't hand him the .923 he ended the season with.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

He had a very good year last year with the Sabres so here's hoping that he bucks the trend of his pre-Sabres bad to mediocre years and has the same kind of year with the Canucks.  They could use a goalie who puts up a save percentage above .920

He has the physical tools and God knows that last year's Sabres defence didn't hand him the .923 he ended the season with.

Nice bit of northern NY intel...glad to always get local perspective.

IMO, Nillson may be the sleeper Benning UFA signing of the summer of 2017 -- he just needs to stay square to the puck, raise his shoulders when he's in the butterfly and keep his arms tight to his body.  Gonna predict that Nillson gets 36 starts, Markstrom 46.

1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Nice bit of northern NY intel...glad to always get local perspective.

IMO, Nillson may be the sleeper Benning UFA signing of the summer of 2017 -- he just needs to stay square to the puck, raise his shoulders when he's in the butterfly and keep his arms tight to his body.  Gonna predict that Nillson gets 36 starts, Markstrom 46.

Ummmm, you need to check out a map real quick. :lol:

Just now, bigbadcanucks said:

Northwest New York?  Upstate NY?  I used to live in Edgewater, NJ (for one year) and I always had thought Buffalo was considered to be northern NY.  What do the locals call it?

Buffalo_NY.gifBuffalo is in the western part of the state along the US-Canada border.

2 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Thanks for the geography lesson, Sabre.  Been back on the westcoast for over 10 years now...have completely forgotten the lay of the land out east.

You were much closer than most people.  When I lived out west, nearly everybody thought Buffalo was a borough in NYC.  I'd always get comments like, "but you don't have a NY accent" or "How many times have you visited the Statue of Liberty".... lol

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's only his first game, but damn. What a steal if he keeps up. Looked like a #1 starter last night. Had a few rebounds, but nothing he couldn't smother. He should get another start against Buffalo. If he rocks that game, Markstrom might need to watch out. 

33 minutes ago, Cup2021 said:

I know it's only his first game, but damn. What a steal if he keeps up. Looked like a #1 starter last night. Had a few rebounds, but nothing he couldn't smother. He should get another start against Buffalo. If he rocks that game, Markstrom might need to watch out. 

Had shades of Luongo.

Archived