The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anders Nilsson | #31 | G

-AJ-

9 hours ago, the harry said:

Of course.

Then you would have seen the difference a goalie can make in spite of the talent in front of them.   Unfortunately same thing could be said in the other end of the rink too but in the opposite context.

12 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Get to watch the game tonight at the Royal!   Anders could lead his team to a IIHF WC Gold.    If Canuck fans could have seen his play in this tournament they would have been pretty keen on having him back next year.   A totally different goalie in many ways - watching his positioning this tournament - textbook stuff.   Such a big dude with his reflexes and then add solid positioning and this is an elite goaltender.   Trick is, finding and bottling this play for an entire season.    

I have to wonder why the Swedish coaches were able to help him tweak his game in the way you described above and ours didn't. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I have to wonder why the Swedish coaches were able to help him tweak his game in the way you described above and ours didn't. 

I honestly think that Nilsson and Markstrom are hurt by having Cloutier coaching them.  Maybe Cloutier is a nice guy, but I think he's an awful coach at least for taller goalies.  Markstrom and Nilsson are two of the biggest goalies in the NHL, but with Cloutier coaching them, they play really small and compact giving shooters lots of space under the bar.  Nilsson's performance at the WC should be proof positive that we need a new goalie coach next year!.  Yes, Sweden has a MUCH better defense in front of him, but early last season Nilsson was really good, and he got progressively worse as the season progressed as if the more Cloutier coached him the worse he got.  Get him away from Cloutier, let the Swedish coaches make some adjustments, and bang you have a gold medal goalie again.

2 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I honestly think that Nilsson and Markstrom are hurt by having Cloutier coaching them.  Maybe Cloutier is a nice guy, but I think he's an awful coach at least for taller goalies.  Markstrom and Nilsson are two of the biggest goalies in the NHL, but with Cloutier coaching them, they play really small and compact giving shooters lots of space under the bar.  Nilsson's performance at the WC should be proof positive that we need a new goalie coach next year!.  Yes, Sweden has a MUCH better defense in front of him, but early last season Nilsson was really good, and he got progressively worse as the season progressed as if the more Cloutier coached him the worse he got.  Get him away from Cloutier, let the Swedish coaches make some adjustments, and bang you have a gold medal goalie again.

I really don’t want Cloutier anywhere near our goalies.  Considering how crappy our two guys were last season, Cloutier should be replaced.  

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder same thing Jimmy.   Then again, it may have zero to do with coaching and more to do with a self-discovery.   Goaltending is an odd thing - coaching is overrated and underrated at same time as more than any position, the mental aspects are massive.   Sounds like he had some distractions in Vancouver this on family front and added to new city etc. - it plays a part even if the casual fans often think of these players as robots and/or "we pay them enough, they should not have normal worries" which could not be further from reality.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I wonder same thing Jimmy.   Then again, it may have zero to do with coaching and more to do with a self-discovery.   Goaltending is an odd thing - coaching is overrated and underrated at same time as more than any position, the mental aspects are massive.   Sounds like he had some distractions in Vancouver this on family front and added to new city etc. - it plays a part even if the casual fans often think of these players as robots and/or "we pay them enough, they should not have normal worries" which could not be further from reality.

Didn’t TG call out Nilsson for being out of shape?  

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

well, he's been the best goalie of the tournament. Whatever else happens thats a nice thing for him I'm sure. 

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Could be, I don't recall that.   He doesn't look out of shape - guy is a beast.

TG yelled at him in a practice, and it was reported by some loser, like Botchford.  I agree the guy is a beast.  He’s friggin’ huge!  

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Gold medal winning goalie.   Best stats of any goalie in the tourney.   Nicely done Spiderman.   :)

Was really good in the shoot-out.  I think he’s better than Markstrom.  I think TG should go with Nilsson more games in a row.

On 2018-05-20 at 3:32 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

Markstrom may not be coming back this fall. 

Probably more likely Nilsson isn't back (though IMO they're our likely tandem until the TDL). Green's not a big fan.

Congrats to Nilsson on winning gold and being named to the tournament all-star team. 

Proof is in the pudding...Nilsson is a good goalie and therefore, our "D" sucks. Too many fire drills in our own end and unable to make the first pass.

On the other hand, Sweden's "D" made the first pass and limited the fire drills by moving the puck (making the first pass) and skating it out on the rush.Very mobile "D" and physical when need be.

Making the first pass is so important in the game of hockey.

Agree that Cloutier needs to go and bring in a Swedish goalie coach to work with the two Swedes.

20 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Agree that Cloutier needs to go and bring in a Swedish goalie coach to work with the two Swedes.

Do we fire the Swede and hire an American instead once Demko is ready?

Archived