The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anders Nilsson | #31 | G

-AJ-

34 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

That would be nice to see. He started the year looking like a brick wall. But as the year went on and his confidence shrunk so did his stance. He started a nasty habit of rouding his shoulders in when making saves... when he should have his shoulders up, square with the shooter. I'm not a goalie, but it's just something I remembered. He looked small when he started doing that, I couldn't understand why he was making himself smaller (or how a guy that large could look that small in net), when for the size he is should be playing the "brick wall" style that he played so well at the start of the year...with your background did you notice the same thing as I did? 

He was not square to the shooter enough this year - today he excelled at it.   Very good observation.

Just read today that his full name is Bengt Per Anders Nilsson.

Yeah, I’d probably go with Anders too. 

Not that Bengt/Bent and Per aren’t completely normal Scandinavian names. I have at least one of each among my cousins.

But if your dream is to play hockey in NA, probably best to not have a name that sounds like “bent pair.”

34 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just read today that his full name is Bengt Per Anders Nilsson.

Yeah, I’d probably go with Anders too. 

Not that Bengt/Bent and Per aren’t completely normal Scandinavian names. I have at least one of each among my cousins.

But if your dream is to play hockey in NA, probably best to not have a name that sounds like “bent pair.”

If I recall, there have been several Pers in the NHL, but I'm not sure I can think of more than one or two Bengts.

23 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

If I recall, there have been several Pers in the NHL, but I'm not sure I can think of more than one or two Bengts.

They’re pretty common names. In my experience a little more common among the older generation though. Anders has been hot in recent years. At least in my family circle. Seems like every little baby boy that’s been born lately is either named Anders or Rasmus.

13 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

They’re pretty common names. In my experience a little more common among the older generation though. Anders has been hot in recent years. At least in my family circle. Seems like every little baby boy that’s been born lately is either named Anders or Rasmus.

Do you think English pronounceability has anything to do with it? Anders and Rasmus are very easy to pronounce for English speakers. Not sure how much English has permeated Swedish culture.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Do you think English pronounceability has anything to do with it? Anders and Rasmus are very easy to pronounce for English speakers. Not sure how much English has permeated Swedish culture.

I don’t know. My family is Danish so I can’t speak for the Swedes. I know some of the more weird sounding traditional names seem to be getting less popular. Or it seems like it. But that might be more about the names being old fashioned. However some really old, nearly archaic, names seem to be making a comeback. Lots of English names like William are also pretty common. They often pronounce the names differently (like you don’t say the D in Anders) than English speakers. Although some names they have started using the English sounding pronunciations because they just sound better (“David” for example sounds just disgusting the Danish way). It’s probably different from family to family, and also regionally (especially in Denmark where just a few miles travel makes you supposedly in a whole other distinct part of the country—or at least so they like to think).

EDIT: I should say that my point on the pronunciation of “David” probably is more about my family’s regional dialect. They use really gross sounding soft d’s at the ends of words (the Swedes will say all Danes do this :lol:). But David sounds something like “Dahvilth” in my family, kind of like they’re about to puke at the end of the word.

On 2018-05-11 at 1:38 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I don’t know. My family is Danish so I can’t speak for the Swedes. I know some of the more weird sounding traditional names seem to be getting less popular. Or it seems like it. But that might be more about the names being old fashioned. However some really old, nearly archaic, names seem to be making a comeback. Lots of English names like William are also pretty common. They often pronounce the names differently (like you don’t say the D in Anders) than English speakers. Although some names they have started using the English sounding pronunciations because they just sound better (“David” for example sounds just disgusting the Danish way). It’s probably different from family to family, and also regionally (especially in Denmark where just a few miles travel makes you supposedly in a whole other distinct part of the country—or at least so they like to think).

EDIT: I should say that my point on the pronunciation of “David” probably is more about my family’s regional dialect. They use really gross sounding soft d’s at the ends of words (the Swedes will say all Danes do this :lol:). But David sounds something like “Dahvilth” in my family, kind of like they’re about to puke at the end of the word.

Swedish names is moving from the traditional names but as for now there is still more traditional names in the top 20 for sweish boys (2017)

This is the top names:

1 Willian

2 Oscar

3 Liam

4 Lucas

5 Oliver

6 Alexander

7 Elias

8 Hugo

9 Noah

10 Adam

11 Leo

12 Charlie

13 Elliot

14 Walter

15 Isak

16 Axel

17 Ludvig

18 Adrian

19 Alfred

20 Nils

As for Nilsson, Sweidsh media experimented with how much a goalie sweats during a match, weighing him before and after the game and counting the amount he drank.

weight pre game 106,4kg (234.5lbs)

post game 102,7kg (226.5lbs)

fluids consumed 5,4 liters (1,43 gallons)

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Crazy! FWIW, 5.4L of water = approximately 11.9lbs

That's crazy. I thought I was nuts by drinking 2-3 litres of water during my day, but athletes put me to shame.

It's exciting to see Nilsson perform well, but I'm not putting too much stock into it. We've seen Nilsson be good before. The question is whether or not he can remain good over the course of an entire season, which he couldn't do last year.

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It's exciting to see Nilsson perform well, but I'm not putting too much stock into it. We've seen Nilsson be good before. The question is whether or not he can remain good over the course of an entire season, which he couldn't do last year.

The team in front of you matters. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

The team in front of you matters. 

Absolutely, but as the season wound down, Markstrom significantly out-performed Nilsson and I had them as about equal at the start of last year. Perhaps the team played better in front of Marky, but I didn't particularly notice it.

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Notice how the less time he spends around Cloutier, the better he plays?

I wasn't and am still not a fan of the Clouts hiring. I don't want him anywhere near Demko.

Both Marky and Nilsson started strong then pretty much flaked out by January after spending a few months having their game manipulated by a horrible goaltending coach. Both started losing the post and (for big dudes) were overplaying the shot and drifting way out of the crease. I blame Clouts.

Trade Nilsson now. His current play speaks to his actual ability. We won't get jack $&!# for him at the TDL and Demko is ready to start taking Markstrom down. Seize the day! 

And find a new 'tending coach.

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Absolutely, but as the season wound down, Markstrom significantly out-performed Nilsson and I had them as about equal at the start of last year. Perhaps the team played better in front of Marky, but I didn't particularly notice it.

Other than the annoying habit of letting in a softie near every game, Markstrom did outplay him IMO. Even at the beginning of the year when the team was healthy and playing largely well.

I think people got blinded by 'softie rage'.

10 hours ago, luckylager said:

Notice how the less time he spends around Cloutier, the better he plays?

I wasn't and am still not a fan of the Clouts hiring. I don't want him anywhere near Demko.

Both Marky and Nilsson started strong then pretty much flaked out by January after spending a few months having their game manipulated by a horrible goaltending coach. Both started losing the post and (for big dudes) were overplaying the shot and drifting way out of the crease. I blame Clouts.

Trade Nilsson now. His current play speaks to his actual ability. We won't get jack $&!# for him at the TDL and Demko is ready to start taking Markstrom down. Seize the day! 

And find a new 'tending coach.

You'll be happy to hear there's rumors that Ian Clark is looking for a new gig...

That said, I think the goalies performance dips had more to do with a team full of scrubs, decimated by injuries to their most important players, in front of them. That and a tough schedule that limited practice time for them to work out issues creeping back in.

As we got a bit healthier towards the end of the year, Markstrom especially, played quite well imo. 

Archived