The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anders Nilsson | #31 | G

-AJ-

His angle towards shooters is so much more square over here than in the games I watched him play in the NHL this year.   His positioning has been absolutely textbook.   Tonight was a perfect example.   He never turned to try and do too much and instead let pucks come to him.   He is a massive guy and takes away so much net when he is square to the shooter.   Instead of worrying about some rare perfect pass or shot, assume most shots are quickly released and simply "at the net" and you will be further ahead than over thinking the game.   

21 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

His angle towards shooters is so much more square over here than in the games I watched him play in the NHL this year.   His positioning has been absolutely textbook.   Tonight was a perfect example.   He never turned to try and do too much and instead let pucks come to him.   He is a massive guy and takes away so much net when he is square to the shooter.   Instead of worrying about some rare perfect pass or shot, assume most shots are quickly released and simply "at the net" and you will be further ahead than over thinking the game.   

Question Rob - how much does having a world class defence in front of him keeping dangerous shots/attempts low and outside help him focus on fundamentals vs desperation mode or is that unrealated?  And that extract fraction of a moment more on bigger ice - any factor? 

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Question Rob - how much does having a world class defence in front of him keeping dangerous shots/attempts low and outside help him focus on fundamentals vs desperation mode or is that unrealated?  And that extract fraction of a moment more on bigger ice - any factor? 

To be honest, that is overrated.   It is related but given too much attention.   If a goalie has the mental ability to simply do his job, then what is in front of him should be irrelevant.   These are humans and not robots so it creeps in but how is Sbisa making Fleury better than he made Markstrom?   So many examples.   The goalie is responsible for making the defenders more confident too - it is a team game.   Letting in long shots and odd-angle shots due to poor positioning simply kills confidence and your Dmen start to worry about every shot and no matter how "world class" they are, they will start to look like what Edmonton's did last year when Talbot showed no ability to stop a puck for long stretches of the season.

33 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

goalies are only as good as the team (and system) in front of him, with the obvious exceptions.  With all the injuries the past two seasons, Tretiak would have looked backed in blue and green

With Nilsson's great showing in the World's, do we now keep him for next year, and let Demko simmer in the AHL, brining him up for spot duty, then look at trading Nilsson at the TDL?

Or do we trade him now, while he is potentially a hot commodity, and go ahead with Demko backing up Markie next year?

What do you think would be the minimum offer to accept for him? 4th...3rd + prospect?  I'd say 3rd + prospect.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

goalies are only as good as the team (and system) in front of him, with the obvious exceptions.  With all the injuries the past two seasons, Tretiak would have looked backed in blue and green

Did you watch the Swiss - Canada game today?

2 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

With Nilsson's great showing in the World's, do we now keep him for next year, and let Demko simmer in the AHL, brining him up for spot duty, then look at trading Nilsson at the TDL?

Or do we trade him now, while he is potentially a hot commodity, and go ahead with Demko backing up Markie next year?

What do you think would be the minimum offer to accept for him? 4th...3rd + prospect?  I'd say 3rd + prospect.

It's a great problem to have. I suspect it ultimately depends on the readiness of Demko. As was pointed out in an article I read somewhere, Demko needs a lot of minutes and what would have been really cool is if the Comets were located in Abbotsford. In that case, bringing him up and down is not much of an issue.

If we do trade Nilsson, maybe package our 7th and Nilsson for the 5th (Coyotes) and then draft who the Jim Benning really want from Wahlstrom, Boqvist, Hughes, and Dobson.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Did you watch the Swiss - Canada game today?

What a game by Genoni...has earned an NHL contract with his play, but with everyone so in love with huge goalies who knows if and NHL team would sign him. Juuse Saros put up good numbers this year in Nashville...so maybe??

19 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

As was pointed out in an article I read somewhere, Demko needs a lot of minutes and what would have been really cool is if the Comets were located in Abbotsford. In that case, bringing him up and down is not much of an issue.

Utica is a great place for the farm team, lots of practice time as there is very little travel compared to a Vancouver location. Also if they are going to get games in the NHL this year for Demko, road starts would keep him out of the Vancouver pressure cooker media and those unrealistic fans.

36 minutes ago, gurn said:

Utica is a great place for the farm team, lots of practice time as there is very little travel compared to a Vancouver location. Also if they are going to get games in the NHL this year for Demko, road starts would keep him out of the Vancouver pressure cooker media and those unrealistic fans.

The article was talking about Demko being the backup. Demko still needs a lot of playing time and coaching from the Canucks' goalie coach (Cloutier) in order to properly develop. If he was with the Canucks, he may not get that playing time. Hence, he may need to go back and forth between the Canucks and the Comets. Obviously, that and getting access to Coutier is a lot harder to do if the Comets are in the other coast (too much travel time, time zones, etc.).

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

The article was talking about Demko being the backup. Demko still needs a lot of playing time and coaching from the Canucks' goalie coach (Cloutier) in order to properly develop. If he was with the Canucks, he may not get that playing time. Hence, he may need to go back and forth between the Canucks and the Comets. Obviously, that and getting access to Coutier is a lot harder to do if the Comets are in the other coast (too much travel time, time zones, etc.).

Pitt did a great job with Tristan Jarry in a situation like Demko! They juggled Jarry & Casey DeSmith. 

Managed to use him in 26 games, some while Murray was hurt. Jarry returned the favour with 14 wins & managed to pick up $300,000 or $400,000 extra over his AHL pay scale.

They also managed to get Jarry a fair few starts in Wilkes Barre, including the post season. Though I imagine they would have started him, not Smith, in the playoffs had Murray been injured then... 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Will Nilsson’s WHC help us Trade Him?  

The best scenario for Demko next year would mirror the way Pitt used Jarry IMO.

Find a way to get him 15 or 20 NHL games & some NHL pay next year. But play a heavy load to continue to develop in the minors.  I suppose that depends on Nilsson showing in camp, is he in better shape, competes harder?  But I don't see trading Nilsson for a 4th before the draft if that is what you are asking? And his WC's would not have put him that much farther ahead...

Having Demko in Utica also makes sense for all? Someone can confirm, but I believe DiPietro will be back in junior again if he does not make the pro's??? 

Get to watch the game tonight at the Royal!   Anders could lead his team to a IIHF WC Gold.    If Canuck fans could have seen his play in this tournament they would have been pretty keen on having him back next year.   A totally different goalie in many ways - watching his positioning this tournament - textbook stuff.   Such a big dude with his reflexes and then add solid positioning and this is an elite goaltender.   Trick is, finding and bottling this play for an entire season.    

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Get to watch the game tonight at the Royal!   Anders could lead his team to a IIHF WC Gold.    If Canuck fans could have seen his play in this tournament they would have been pretty keen on having him back next year.   A totally different goalie in many ways - watching his positioning this tournament - textbook stuff.   Such a big dude with his reflexes and then add solid positioning and this is an elite goaltender.   Trick is, finding and bottling this play for an entire season.    

What's your opinion on the difference?

A couple weeks of headspace/recuperation from a gruelling season or coaching or something?

Is it realistic to think he could somehow bring that to Van?

2 hours ago, nzan said:

What's your opinion on the difference?

A couple weeks of headspace/recuperation from a gruelling season or coaching or something?

Is it realistic to think he could somehow bring that to Van?

I have been trying to answer those questions myself.  He is setting himself differently and I haven’t found out yet if he did that on his own or someone told him to.   For Canucks and even Sabres he was favouring his right side to initiate his alignment and, as such, wasn’t always square to the shooter and also didn’t close the short side on the left all that well.    Now he seems to be fully square to the shooter and not a fidgety back there.   

Can it translate to next season?   Put it this way, you take you team to gold medal game and you remember what got you there.  :)

Archived