Roberts

McDavid Hat Trick, first ever opening-night hat trick in Oilers history

Rate this topic

10 minutes ago, rekker said:

Pains me that they have a player like him. But maybe it's a curse. Maybe your better with the wealth spread. IE. Bo and Brock may end up costing as much as Mathews in cap. I look at TO and EDM. Both clubs need D. So do the Nucks. But I think we may be better positioned to land say an OEL.

I tend to agree, that paying players too much, especially too soon, hurts a club.  20 million tied up in two guys not named Toews/Kane and Malkin/Crosby is bad news.  I don't believe this stuff from the league about the Cap going up.  I think it's all artificial.  There is still a more than 10% escrow.  How can the Cap really be going up if there is any escrow?  Sounds like fudging the books to me.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I tend to agree, that paying players too much, especially too soon, hurts a club.  20 million tied up in two guys not named Toews/Kane and Malkin/Crosby is bad news.  I don't believe this stuff from the league about the Cap going up.  I think it's all artificial.  There is still a more than 10% escrow.  How can the Cap really be going up if there is any escrow?  Sounds like fudging the books to me.

True. And how many more wells can the leugue tap to draw income? Seems we are being sucked dry of funds as is. Jerseys, tickets, NHL Network.  Can only saturate and draw so much from your market. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Looking at Chicago, one could argue that tying up 20 million for Toews and Kane was a mistake too.  Crosby's cap is almost 2M less than Toews or Kane's, and he's only a year older.  I think the Hawks messed up with those contracts too, but I don't follow the team too closely, and they've proved me wrong before with their previous cap issues.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Looking at Chicago, one could argue that tying up 20 million for Toews and Kane was a mistake too.  Crosby's cap is almost 2M less than Toews or Kane's, and he's only a year older.  I think the Hawks messed up with those contracts too, but I don't follow the team too closely, and they've proved me wrong before with their previous cap issues.

Did the Hawks win a Cup after Kane and Toews new contracts kicked in?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yip. Good point. And they are looking fairly pedestrian these days with cap issues to boot.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Nope.  They were basically being rewarded for 3 Cups in their last 6 years.

The team has done well in the regular season the last couple years, but have only one 1 playoff round since they last won the Cup in 2015.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

i tend to not agree

mcdavid is a generational player

he will earn oodles of money during his career as a result of his talent

he is entitled after he has demonstrated his worth

to have the maximum financial security afforded him that he can garner

if he is permanently injured in a hockey game this season and cannot play again and did not have his present contract

he would be entitled to no other money

presently if he suffers a permanent injury his contract is insured and will not count against the cap - so his team has sufficient protection

regarding the escrow requirement

money is paid into escrow and is paid out to the players once the total income by the league (collectively) for the season has been realized

escrow amounts might not be fully refunded if the league earnings do not properly line up with the cap in the given year

i am not aware of what amounts have been permanently withheld and not refunded to players for any given past year

so if you have information to show that escrow amounts were permanently withheld before.. and how much was withheld

escrow might just be a holding account the merely delays players being paid their full salary amount

i note that on all the sites i have viewed relating to player salaries and career earnings.. there are no adjustments included for escrow deductions

there are adjustments made for earnings losses during lock out years, and the claw back of salaries that occurred after one lockout that occurred as well

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i tend to not agree

if he is permanently injured in a hockey game this season and cannot play again and did not have his present contract

presently if he suffers a permanent injury his contract is insured and will not count against the cap - so his team has sufficient protection

money is paid into escrow and is paid out to the players once the total income by the league (collectively) for the season has been realized

escrow amounts might not be fully refunded if the league earnings do not properly line up with the cap in the given year

i am not aware of what amounts have been permanently withheld and not refunded to players for any given past year

so if you have information to show that escrow amounts were permanently withheld before.. and how much was withheld

escrow might just be a holding account the merely delays players being paid their full salary amount

i note that on all the sites i have viewed relating to player salaries and career earnings.. there are no adjustments included for escrow deductions

there are adjustments made for earnings losses during lock out years, and the claw back of salaries that occurred after one lockout that occurred as well

Time will tell. Not disputing McDavid shouldn't get the big bucks. I'm just not convinced it's how you build a championship team under a cap system. Hockey is the ultimate team game.

Just now, rekker said:

Time will tell. Not disputing McDavid shouldn't get the big bucks. I'm just not convinced it's how you build a championship team under a cap system. Hockey is the ultimate team game.

then you better avoid drafting generational talent type players

as they entitled to and worth near max contracts

because if they are not . who is ?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

Not avoid them. Avoid paying them such a large chunk of cap space. I mentioned in a previous post that maybe TO should entertain trading Mathews. Maybe the return outweighs the one talent and makes for a better team. Time will tell. I think the going rate is 20 percent of team cap for the generational guy. We get Brock and Bo for that price. I could see a scenario where one overpaid generational player or two handcuffs a team. It's not like a quarterback in football. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

There is no need for a court reporter. 

Yeah, I'm not buying your buddy's story. 

Then you don’t know him as he would have zero reason to say otherwise but he will get a kick out of this and I will follow up.   Court reporter optional.  :lol:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

Draft that talent but have it attached to players who want to win and understand it is a team game.   Best in the business leave money on the table.   Anyway, how many more millions do you need after a certain point?   If it is about being both a generational talent AND a leader AND a role model, what about carving out a few million per season for a stronger team.   NHLPA would freak out on him for sure but fans and his teammates would see that a great leadership.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Then you don’t know him as he would have zero reason to say otherwise but he will get a kick out of this and I will follow up.   Court reporter optional.  :lol:

Don't let your buddy fool you. ;) 

35 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Draft that talent but have it attached to players who want to win and understand it is a team game.   Best in the business leave money on the table.   Anyway, how many more millions do you need after a certain point?   If it is about being both a generational talent AND a leader AND a role model, what about carving out a few million per season for a stronger team.   NHLPA would freak out on him for sure but fans and his teammates would see that a great leadership.

it's all a balancing act for sure

there is the nhlpa pressure for sure

crosby held back top contract values for at least 5 years by the value he signed for

nhlpa was not going to allow mcdavid to do the same (if it could)

but the reality is mcdavid's contract is of similar value to crosby's in terms of % of cap when the caps for each are compared

so mcdavid's contract really is not so out of line or step with recent history

do he has more or less done what crosby did . and left a similar % for the rest of the team

and it is a bit too easy to blame mcdavid anyway (or any other player who signs a large contract)

the sophisticated party.. the team.... agreed to pay that amount.

and it is their job to build a viable team

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i tend to not agree

Read

https://thehockeywriters.com/escrow-and-growing-tension-in-the-nhl/

“when they [the players] contributed 15 percent, they received just 2.05 percent back.”  That’s 12% off the Cap.  So a 75 million dollar Cap becomes a 60 million dollar Cap.  That sure sounds like fudging the numbers.  Paying these really high salaries, when the Cap is actually stagnant, will hurt teams.  Draft the generational talent, and either pay them at the Crosby number, or trade them for an Eric Lindros type return.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Don't let your buddy fool you. ;) 

He never has before.   You wouldn’t even suggest that if you knew him.   

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He never has before.   You wouldn’t even suggest that if you knew him.   

You never know...

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Read

https://thehockeywriters.com/escrow-and-growing-tension-in-the-nhl/

“when they [the players] contributed 15 percent, they received just 2.05 percent back.”  That’s 12% off the Cap.  So a 75 million dollar Cap becomes a 60 million dollar Cap.  That sure sounds like fudging the numbers.  Paying these really high salaries, when the Cap is actually stagnant, will hurt teams.  Draft the generational talent, and either pay them at the Crosby number, or trade them for an Eric Lindros type return.  

thanks for that info

i was not aware of it

why do players allow the cap to keep going up then

they have some say in that

i wonder why this has not been made into a bigger issue