The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Calvin Pickard to Leafs

HerrDrFunk

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why in the world didn't the Jets do this?  Leafs are smart shoring up their goalie situation early on.  

Jets have Eric Comrie in the system, who looks promising. Jamie Phillips has been decent so far too. They at least have options, and Comrie is probably good enough to be 3rd stringer right now.

Long-term, Leafs have Joseph Woll, who is a stud. But he won't be ready for a few years. And they aren't confident in Sparks. So if they have an injury, or CM isn't cutting it as back-up, now they have anoter viable option.

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

So Vegas gets Malcom Subban, Tobias Lindberg and a 6th round pick for free. Nice moves by McPhee

Lindberg is a 16 pt AHLer - 22 years old.

Subban is an average AHL goaltender that was waived in favour of Anton Khudobin - a 31 yr old who is nothing special himself.

A 6th round pick - is a 6th round pick.

Pickard is the best asset of the four.  I'd take the best asset over volume of longershots myself.

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Lindberg is a 16 pt AHLer - 22 years old.

Subban is an average AHL goaltender that was waived in favour of Anton Khudobin - a 31 yr old who is nothing special himself.

A 6th round pick - is a 6th round pick.

Pickard is the best asset of the four.  I'd take the best asset over volume of longershots myself.

Pickard was waived in favour of Subban though.

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

Pickard was waived in favour of Subban though.

yes, true.  don't like the move myself, but where Boston is concerned, Subban was outperformed by Khudobin - where Pickard is concerned, he has better numbers at the NHL level than Subban does in the AHL....so, it's a questionable move by LV imo.

Have not been impressed with McPheesy's work since the draft - dumping Methot for a lowball seemed to put blood in the water and sharks circling - I'm surprised at how little value he managed to extract from his surplus NHL assets.  Perhaps they should have taken more youth in the ED.

Pickard didn't really come at no cost to LV though - he cost them their expansion pick.

And it wasn't obvious which goaltender was going to be protected by Colorado - Pickard arguably outperformed the highly paid and injury prone Varlamov the past two seasons.

In any event, imo the Leafs just got a pretty good bargain on some goalending depth in their organization.

But what I can't figure out is.....why are da Leafz trading away da pickzzz?

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

yes, true.  don't like the move myself, but where Boston is concerned, Subban was outperformed by Khudobin - where Pickard is concerned, he has better numbers at the NHL level than Subban does in the AHL....so, it's a questionable move by LV imo.

Have not been impressed with McPheesy's work since the draft - dumping Methot for a lowball seemed to put blood in the water and sharks circling - I'm surprised at how little value he managed to extract from his surplus NHL assets.  Perhaps they should have taken more youth in the ED.

Pickard didn't really come at no cost to LV though - he cost them their expansion pick.

And it wasn't obvious which goaltender was going to be protected by Colorado - Pickard arguably outperformed the highly paid and injury prone Varlamov the past two seasons.

In any event, imo the Leafs just got a pretty good bargain on some goalending depth in their organization.

But what I can't figure out is.....why are da Leafz trading away da pickzzz?

Perception is reality in the trade market.  Sometimes you have to throw in a pick to make it happen.  Even Lou does it.  Hmmmm.....

Archived