The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Calvin Pickard to Leafs

HerrDrFunk

1 hour ago, playboi19 said:

Good chance someone takes him before their claim.

I was pointing out that when Benning trades Pedan for Pouliot people freak that we didn't pick him on waivers, and bash Benning.

But when Toronto does the same thing Lou is viewed as a genius. 

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

Lindberg is a 16 pt AHLer - 22 years old.

Subban is an average AHL goaltender that was waived in favour of Anton Khudobin - a 31 yr old who is nothing special himself.

A 6th round pick - is a 6th round pick.

Pickard is the best asset of the four.  I'd take the best asset over volume of longershots myself.

I think the Leafs look good with this move, too. It still feels kind of wrong to type or think that... Leafs making smart moves.

I'm very irritated about this... All that mask contest design for nothing? I'm one of the 5 selected finalists, all 6 of contest participations including the winner... We still haven't got our prize (finalists supposed to get a signed puck, a photo op with Calvin Pickard and his mask)!  And Vegas failed to meet the end of their bargain... 

4 hours ago, coryberg said:

500 million dollars

Right.

I was quoting someone else within the context of their comment.

Yes, the ownership had to cough up big $ to buy a franchise, but aside from that, every single player they "acquired" cost them exactly ZERO because the league forced every other team in the league to expose assets to them - FOR FREE

hope that clears things up. 

51 minutes ago, ArkDepot said:

Right.

I was quoting someone else within the context of their comment.

Yes, the ownership had to cough up big $ to buy a franchise, but aside from that, every single player they "acquired" cost them exactly ZERO because the league forced every other team in the league to expose assets to them - FOR FREE

hope that clears things up. 

It's called an expansion draft. The first one was 50 years ago and there have been 11 more since. Every team in the league had to expose assets to the new teams.

Vegas paid $500,000,000 for 30 assets, that is literally the opposite of FREE.

Hope that clears things up. 

9 minutes ago, coryberg said:

It's called an expansion draft. The first one was 50 years ago and there have been 11 more since. Every team in the league had to expose assets to the new teams.

Vegas paid $500,000,000 for 30 assets, that is literally the opposite of FREE.

Hope that clears things up.

You're talking about two different things.

When he said 'free' - he meant in terms of assets.

Fans tend not to care about things like franchise fees - the loss of an asset for no return is what a fan cares about.

You're drinking Gary Bettman Kool Aid. The amount of the franchise fee should not influence the number and quality of players you get in an expansion draft. 

The Houston Texans paid $700 million in expansion fees, and they didn't get any preferential treatment than any other expansion team in the NFL.

Why should Vegas get better selection than say San Jose, Minnesota, or Columbus did? 

The real reason is Gary's expansion into non-hockey markets has been not exactly home runs. There is still issues with Arizona, Florida. Bettman doesn't want egg in his face.

Worse yet, a team like Atlanta moving shortly after expanding into the league. 

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

You're talking about two different things.

When he said 'free' - he meant in terms of assets.

Fans tend not to care about things like franchise fees - the loss of an asset for no return is what a fan cares about.

I just got a chuckle about someone insinuating that vegas got everything for "free".

Hell, back in the day you used to be able to trade players for cash. Vegas could have given up 100 million for the team and it still wouldn't be "free".

Just now, coryberg said:

I just got a chuckle about someone insinuating that vegas got everything for "free".

Hell, back in the day you used to be able to trade players for cash. Vegas could have given up 100 million for the team and it still wouldn't be "free".

yes, but you're talking in two distinctly different values.  asset returns are what fans are concerned about - not franchiise fees.  technically, you're right - but you essentially changed the context, so the two of you are talking at odds without a common reference point.

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You're drinking Gary Bettman Kool Aid. The amount of the franchise fee should not influence the number and quality of players you get in an expansion draft. 

The Houston Texans paid $700 million in expansion fees, and they didn't get any preferential treatment than any other expansion team in the NFL.

Why should Vegas get better selection than say San Jose, Minnesota, or Columbus did? 

The real reason is Gary's expansion into non-hockey markets has been not exactly home runs. There is still issues with Arizona, Florida. Bettman doesn't want egg in his face.

Worse yet, a team like Atlanta moving shortly after expanding into the league. 

As I outlined this isn't a new idea. Expansion drafts have been happening for 50 years. The league never forced this on the 30 teams, the league was the 30 teams. Some people think bettman is the warden and tells all the owners what to do. He is basically their lawyer, he gives councel and puts things in motion but at the end of the day he is just the voice of a collective.

Trial and error? Learning from your mistakes? Besides the fact that all of those teams had to share the expansion pool with another team? Revenue sharing has come into effect since those days. A failing franchise hurts the whole league, not just the individual owner anymore. The league also wants to expand again in the future so the optics need to be good.

Pickard trade thread here - not an expansion draft debate thread.

11 hours ago, Crimson-JH said:

I'm very irritated about this... All that mask contest design for nothing? I'm one of the 5 selected finalists, all 6 of contest participations including the winner... We still haven't got our prize (finalists supposed to get a signed puck, a photo op with Calvin Pickard and his mask)!  And Vegas failed to meet the end of their bargain... 

That's weak of them.  Marketing scheme gone bad.

They should pony up season's tickets for the 5 of you to make it right, for having wasted your time.

14 hours ago, playboi19 said:

Good chance someone takes him before their claim.

He cleared waivers. 

This deal was done afterwards - precisely because he's an AHL asset now.

The reason the Leafs would spend assets instead of claim him?

Because this enables them to keep McElhinney - to claim Pickard for "free" would mean having to waive McElhinney - who they appear to want to retain.

The value they spent in this deal actually counts against the potential of losing McElhinney.

14 hours ago, oldnews said:

He cleared waivers. 

This deal was done afterwards - precisely because he's an AHL asset now.

The reason the Leafs would spend assets instead of claim him?

Because this enables them to keep McElhinney - to claim Pickard for "free" would mean having to waive McElhinney - who they appear to want to retain.

The value they spent in this deal actually counts against the potential of losing McElhinney.

Further more they can call Pickard as they see fit. Playing him up to 10 games or 30 days collectively without the risk of having to waive him. Its effectively a 3rd capable nhl goalie on deck.

Archived