The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lightning winger J.T. Brown receives death threats after raising fist during American anthem [Update]

Roberts

jt.PNG.5303418f0b3dc94b68605b5d49ba7338.PNG

Tampa Bay Lightning winger J.T. Brown became the first NHL player to protest during the American national anthem before a road game against the Florida Panthers. Brown raised his right fist and bowed his head while the Star-Spangled Banner was played.

Brown, one of roughly 30 black NHL players, told the Tampa Bay Times earlier this week that he was considering this form of protest to bring awareness to police brutality and inequality for minorities. He added that he spoke to military members and family in an attempt to find a middle ground rather than kneeling.

“Some will tell you that’s disrespecting the military,” Brown told the newspaper. “Well, I wanted to hear it from someone who is serving, not some person on Twitter. Some thought (kneeling) was disrespecting, but most felt that we have a right to do it regardless of whether they agree with you or not, or would stand next to you.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/lightning-winger-j-t-brown-raises-fist-american-anthem/

UPDATE 1:

Lightning's Brown: 'I have received death threats' after protest

Much of the chatter from the NHL world on Saturday was about the insane amount of goals coming from both the Toronto Maple Leafs and Washington Capitals forward Alex Ovechkin. But, Tampa Bay Lightning winger J.T. Brown made the loudest statement of them all.

Brown raised a clenched fist during the national anthem prior to the Lightning playing the Florida Panthers. He later defended the protest, saying he knew, in his heart, it was the right decision.

On Sunday, Brown took to Twitter to further explain his motives.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1393535-lightning-s-brown-i-have-received-death-threats-after-protest

UPDATE 2:

J.T. Brown is done raising his fist, but he's far from finished trying to affect change. On Wednesday, the Tampa Bay Lightning forward provided an update on his efforts in the community since silently protesting during "The Star-Spangled Banner" earlier this month:

Brown became the first NHL player to protest inequality and racial injustice this season when he stood with his fist raised during the singing of the anthem before the Lightning played the Panthers on Oct. 7. He revealed the next day that he'd already started receiving death threats and racial slurs since making the silent statement that he defended postgame as the right decision, adding at the time that he hoped more conversation on the issues would take place.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1400888-j-t-brown-says-he-ll-continue-community-initiatives-in-tampa-bay

I have no problem with him raising his fist during the anthem. BUUUT it's a pretty silly way to make a point about police brutality. Why not just make a statement about it explaining your feelings about the subject? What's raising a fist going to do other than start arguments that aren't even about police brutality/racism and instead about whether or not doing this during the national anthem is disrespectful or not.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

before the usual suspects chime in and make it about something its not, good for him for exercising his right to free speech. 

Hmm, thanks for mentioning this, it didn't pop into my head immediately. I'm glad rights like this exist where we live.

11 hours ago, ThaManbeast said:

I have no problem with him raising his fist during the anthem. BUUUT it's a pretty silly way to make a point about police brutality. Why not just make a statement about it explaining your feelings about the subject? What's raising a fist going to do other than start arguments that aren't even about police brutality/racism and instead about whether or not doing this during the national anthem is disrespectful or not.

Actions speak louder than words, especially when words are all that have been said.

Considering the courage of the first responders in the recent Vegas shootings, and how it reminded us (or should have) of those first responders in 9-11, maybe these protestors should think about all the brave officers - who daily risk their lives for us - before they raise their fists?

It's interesting to see so many players protest against racism yet Kenyan Martin decides it's ok for calling out Lin for "trying to be black" for having dreadlocks. You'd think if these athletes would be more accepting.

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Good on you, JT. No surprise that there are sick folk in the States looking to threaten a proud black man's life for exercising his rights. 

yup, nothing says 'freedom' like wanting to kill someone for speaking their mind

1 hour ago, smokes said:

It's interesting to see so many players protest against racism yet Kenyan Martin decides it's ok for calling out Lin for "trying to be black" for having dreadlocks. You'd think if these athletes would be more accepting.

I think Lin handled it beautifully though. He didn't strike back. He handled it with class and dignity and something tells me Martin hopefully learned a valuable lesson because of it.

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Good on you, JT. No surprise that there are sick folk in the States looking to threaten a proud black man's life for exercising his rights. 

Really, only white folks want to kill blacks? Last time I checked there were good and bad people of all races. Many black people as well have threatened to kill white people or cops with not a peep from certain people.  Many of us are tired of these types of games, that always make things about race, I could care less about the colour of someones skin but look to their character instead. What would you say if a white NHL player raised his fist of some other similar protest if a black man killed or hurt a friend of his or maybe a policeman? A "Black power" salute is heroic but a "White power" one would the most awful thing to do? 

Brown has the right to do what he wants but he is also free to accept the consequences of what he does and can also be criticised. There may be individual cases of racism but over all it is a myth that black people are oppressed these days by the police. Some of the police shootings that caused so much rioting it turned out they were justified shootings. Look at Michael Brown for instance.

NFL rating are plummeting because so many are tired of being told they are a racist only because they are white when they know they are not. I'm not going to be made to feel ashamed because of the colour of my skin and no one else should be either. I do want politics to stay out of sports though, we have enough other crap to deal with and don't need sports figures to tell us what to do. 

There is a real problem in some black communities with crime and in others there are good law abiding citizens just like the rest of us, all but one of the black people I have met have been in the latter group. I treat them with the respect they deserve and they do the same to me. Same with my Aboriginal friends. What is really going on in the U.S. is a continuation of the race and class war started in the Obama administration, there are people with a vested interest to divide us for political purposes.

Archived