The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lightning winger J.T. Brown receives death threats after raising fist during American anthem [Update]

Roberts

5 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I have to disagree with you. The protest isn't designed to create immediate change, but we are certainly talking about police brutality far more than we would have without the protest.

Sure, the protest has also come with misunderstandings and other focuses that were not planned, but it has done an excellent job of creating discussion on something those protesting believe to be an issue. Whether you agree with the protest or not, it has been effective in its mission. 

I'd say it's been more effective at making people angry and sparking debate about the anthem.

I haven't seen any talk about police brutality. Ineffective IMO.

On 10/8/2017 at 0:44 AM, ThaManbeast said:

I have no problem with him raising his fist during the anthem. BUUUT it's a pretty silly way to make a point about police brutality. Why not just make a statement about it explaining your feelings about the subject? What's raising a fist going to do other than start arguments that aren't even about police brutality/racism and instead about whether or not doing this during the national anthem is disrespectful or not.

example after example of people raising their fists throughout history for equality and human rights, so not sure why it is silly to do so. Excercising one's right of expression and also in a way others can relate to. Remember 1968 Olympics Tommie Smith and John Carlos raising fists ? " a human rights gesture " ? it goes way back.

Human rights issue?

nahh, this is a culture issue surrounding alleged police brutalizing the black community. Black folks have equal rights, if not more (affirmative action), than white folks who are the apparent bad cops. Yet, despite all the stats available to stomp out this farce for what it is, these protests continue due to the left/media social engineering.

Why wasn't all of this stuff out during the Obama years? Did Trumps illegal immigrant ...errr, Racism, spurn this whole police brutality uprising? No, the fake news has. 

Raising awareness my ass. This is division politics, not unity. So many of the BLM movement was bebunked, and rather hard, but we still see the effectiveness of MSM' ability to influence thought and popular opinion. This really is an Orwellian era. People think what they are told. 

IMG_0441.JPG.b4975882eb0bfb2e508e1837796c95ea.JPGIMG_0446.JPG.42f721544f91026cfa0eceeb9fc02b00.JPGIMG_0458.thumb.JPG.5ff3f3ba67395ebb14479f2c7abe6117.JPG

Do your own research people... and use multiple sources. 

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Human rights issue?

nahh, this is a culture issue surrounding alleged police brutalizing the black community. Black folks have equal rights, if not more (affirmative action), than white folks who are the apparent bad cops. Yet, despite all the stats available to stomp out this farce for what it is, these protests continue due to the left/media social engineering.

Why wasn't all of this stuff out during the Obama years? Did Trumps illegal immigrant ...errr, Racism, spurn this whole police brutality uprising? No, the fake news has. 

Raising awareness my ass. This is division politics, not unity. So many of the BLM movement was bebunked, and rather hard, but we still see the effectiveness of MSM' ability to influence thought and popular opinion. This really is an Orwellian era. People think what they are told. 

Oh it sure was and Obama was the president when Kap first took a knee. The reason it is more in the open today under Trump is because he is constantly attacking the media and the stores they report/ provide opinion on, which him and his followers call "fake news" (and to an extent the 1st amendment - as seen with his tweet about taking away NBC's license) because they do not like what is being reported. This has lead to stories such as this being brought more into the limelight due to Trump himself and not because it wasnt a story during Obama's presidency, which by the way is another fallacy from Trump and his supporters .... Meanwhile Fox News which is mainly opinion and definitely shaky with the facts is considered gospel by Trump and supporters.... 

Like you said at the end, you have to read all the sources to get all the facts. What you dont do is discard news as "Fake" because you dont like what it says...

What still boggles my mind is you look up (its not even that hard to investigate a bit) a lot (not all but a lot) of these people on twitter that started the whole Fake News thing and ran/run a bunch of stuff mainly in the form of memes in support of Trump (some he has even re-tweeted) and they are troll farms operating out of Eastern Europe making a fortune manipulating not only the weak minded but Trump himself..... Scary how gullible and stupid some people can be that with a little bit of computer know-how and propaganda you can control so many...

28 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Oh it sure was and Obama was the president when Kap first took a knee. The reason it is more in the open today under Trump is because he is constantly attacking the media and the stores they report/ provide opinion on, which him and his followers call "fake news" (and to an extent the 1st amendment - as seen with his tweet about taking away NBC's license) because they do not like what is being reported. This has lead to stories such as this being brought more into the limelight due to Trump himself and not because it wasnt a story during Obama's presidency, which by the way is another fallacy from Trump and his supporters .... Meanwhile Fox News which is mainly opinion and definitely shaky with the facts is considered gospel by Trump and supporters.... 

Like you said at the end, you have to read all the sources to get all the facts. What you dont do is discard news as "Fake" because you dont like what it says...

What still boggles my mind is you look up (its not even that hard to investigate a bit) a lot (not all but a lot) of these people on twitter that started the whole Fake News thing and ran/run a bunch of stuff mainly in the form of memes in support of Trump (some he has even re-tweeted) and they are troll farms operating out of Eastern Europe making a fortune manipulating not only the weak minded but Trump himself..... Scary how gullible and stupid some people can be that with a little bit of computer know-how and propaganda you can control so many...

Agreed. The talk was that the protest was actually dying down that week until Trump decided to insert himself into the matter. 

On 10/7/2017 at 11:10 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

before the usual suspects chime in and make it about something its not, good for him for exercising his right to free speech. 

I disagree, anytime you are wearing your employer's uniform you have to respect your employer and not do anything that could bring them into disrepute..

You can have free speech once you take that uniform off and are no longer on the time clock.

9 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I disagree, anytime you are wearing your employer's uniform you have to respect your employer and not do anything that could bring them into disrepute..

You can have free speech once you take that uniform off and are no longer on the time clock.

He already had a word with the management, coaches and his teammates and nobody had an issue with it.

10 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

if you can show me that clause in the constitution I will agree. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if you can show me that clause in the constitution I will agree. 

This has been proven time and time again in the courts. Your employer doesn't own you or own your name with respect to what you do after hours but they can certainly discipline or terminate an employee who is acting in a way that brings the employer into disrepute whether it be at work or after after work.

For example, if a Kinder Morgan employee thought it would be a good idea to join a protest against his employer during his vacation and his picture was posted on the front page of The Province with a headline stating "Kinder Morgan Employee Protests Pipeline", the employer would have every right to terminate the employee.  

Remember a few years back and a lady sitting in corporate seats at a Canucks game flashed an opposing player in the penalty box and it was caught on tv and later the story was that she was fired.... kind of the same thing.

Ultimately, employers also have rights.

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

This has been proven time and time again in the courts. Your employer doesn't own you or own your name with respect to what you do after hours but they can certainly discipline or terminate an employee who is acting in a way that brings the employer into disrepute whether it be at work or after after work.

For example, if a Kinder Morgan employee thought it would be a good idea to join a protest against his employer during his vacation and his picture was posted on the front page of The Province with a headline stating "Kinder Morgan Employee Protests Pipeline", the employer would have every right to terminate the employee.  

Remember a few years back and a lady sitting in corporate seats at a Canucks game flashed an opposing player in the penalty box and it was caught on tv and later the story was that she was fired.... kind of the same thing.

Ultimately, employers also have rights.

But Brown's protest doesn't do that. The NHL has already said it supports the rights of player on this: "Commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement he respects the rights of players to express their view" (https://www.metro.us/sports/philadelphia/national-anthem-protests-nhl-wayne-simmonds-joel-ward-may-protest-opener).

So there's no employer-employee issue here. 

You'd also have to prove that what Brown did somehow interfered with the operation of the business... I think you'd have a very hard time doing that. He's standing there silently, holding up his hand during an anthem. So some rednecks don't like it.... oh well, where the specific damage to the business? A lot of other fans do like it too. 

On 10/11/2017 at 8:27 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Human rights issue?

Do your own research people... and use multiple sources. 

As has been said, it was out there.  Kap took a knee on Obamas watch. Did you forget?  And Obama responded properly,

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/28/politics/obama-colin-kaepernick-nfl-national-anthem-presidential-town-hall-cnn/index.html

President Barack Obama said at a CNN presidential town hall Wednesday that he respected Colin Kaepernick's decision not to stand during the national anthem.

Obama responded: "Well, as I've said before, I believe that us honoring our flag and our anthem is part of what binds us together as a nation. But I also always try to remind folks that part of what makes this country special is that we respect people's rights to have a different opinion."

It wasn't until Trump weighed in with his "fire the S of a B" and this coming from someone who was found guilty of discriminating against blacks in his rental properties. His racist slurs against Mexicans, his Muslim ban (on countries that had no history of terrorism against the US, their only commonality was that Trump did not own property in them). It does matter who is the one doing the bad-mouthing as much as the bad-mouthing.

The BLM movement was "debunked"?  I know this is a typical right wingnut response, but what are you talking about? Here's two graphs for your rumination. Not necessarily from 2017 but I'm sure not much has changed. One is on disparages in killing of white vs blacks, The other is the social justice issue of the incarceration disparages.

arrest-rate.jpg

Black_jail_6PEXFqF.jpg

And you cannot understand why BLM sprang up?  after a rash of young black males gunned down or choked to death by white officers without repercussion? Or why a black person, athlete or not, would not be motivated or justified for protesting this to increase awareness? 

"Do your own research people... and use multiple sources."
Here's a suggestion: Take your own advice.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

But Brown's protest doesn't do that. The NHL has already said it supports the rights of player on this: "Commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement he respects the rights of players to express their view" (https://www.metro.us/sports/philadelphia/national-anthem-protests-nhl-wayne-simmonds-joel-ward-may-protest-opener).

So there's no employer-employee issue here. 

You'd also have to prove that what Brown did somehow interfered with the operation of the business... I think you'd have a very hard time doing that. He's standing there silently, holding up his hand during an anthem. So some rednecks don't like it.... oh well, where the specific damage to the business? A lot of other fans do like it too. 

I was following your argument until you lowered yourself to name calling which is elitism and all in all is bad form.

And btw, I think you mean to say patriots, not rednecks. 

4 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I was following your argument until you lowered yourself to name calling which is elitism and all in all is bad form.

no i'm pretty sure I meant rednecks. Grew up with lots of them, they don't mind the moniker. And self-identified "patriots" don't have a corner on free speech, or what the flag means either. 

You know if Tom Brady knelt before a game as a protest all those upset good old boys would be curious to know more, not begin yelling about who's the bigger patriot. 

17 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Patriots like Nate Boyer and Colin Kaepernick understand that American citizens have the right to protest. 

The word you're looking for is Nationlist:

Nationalism, ideology based on the premise that the individual’s loyalty and devotion to the nation-state surpass other individual or group interests.

In this particular case, it's safe to say it's blind nationlism

4 minutes ago, Ding-Dong said:

Patriots like Nate Boyer and Colin Kaepernick understand that American citizens have the right to protest. 

The word you're looking for is Nationlist:

Nationalism, ideology based on the premise that the individual’s loyalty and devotion to the nation-state surpass other individual or group interests.

Since you're in here giving minuses to thought, what is your stance on this whole knee-taking, fist raising, fiasco? 

14 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no i'm pretty sure I meant rednecks. Grew up with lots of them, they don't mind the moniker. And self-identified "patriots" don't have a corner on free speech, or what the flag means either. 

You know if Tom Brady knelt before a game as a protest all those upset good old boys would be curious to know more, not begin yelling about who's the bigger patriot. 

Excellent point. But I'm going to have to use your post as a leading indicator of accepted language in the forums. 

I was suspended for a week here by Stealth for using a racial slur. (not in a racist, hateful context, FTR, just like yours) 

Redneck, is a racial slur.

I'm not going to report you, as I'm sure I was, but more interested in if anyone else does. Hope you don't get suspended and all, but fair is fair. This is a trivial thing to me/us, but indicative of our culture today: It's ok to bash whites, just not anyone else. 

Should I take a knee, folks? 

Consider this a racism test.

Let's see which race is actually slurred and just accepted as the norm. 

When i was busy compiling a list of slurs against white people in the forum, it was 34 or something, in response to Warhippy calling me out for it, I was suspended before I could post those results. Last I checked it was only 6 or so instances, a solid cleaning effort, minus the suspension I assume. Make it 7 now, I guess. 

Edit -

search results are down to two instance of the word and zero of the white trash ref as well. Looks like the field is being levelled, better late than never, so I am pleased. Thanks Stealth. 

I'm not against the protest but as a fan of the game, one of the reasons to watch sports is to get away from the political BS that is going about. Bringing this into the sporting arena just completely kills the game. Look at the media right now, who talks about incredible plays in the NFL anymore? Who talks about the challenges of the sport or the injuries to this player and that?  No one is talking about football anymore in the NFL and it scares me to see how it creeps into hockey now. Look at the backlash on the Penguins? Why did the US media want the NHL to follow suit with the other leagues? Let's just get back to sports and give the people back thier release from all that BS.

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

Redneck refers to a segment of white society, not all white folk therefore most likely not racist.

It's in the slur database as is white trash.

Anyways, I hope the rest of you refused to open any of the articles out there attempting to capitalize on this drama. TSN has several. I refuse to support any of it, but in here I think nobody is making a living off of this at least. 

Archived