The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Dale Tallon (Florida) still interested in Gudbranson {from The Province Provies}

8 hours ago, samurai said:

Yes exactly right.  The question is how much does he cost to keep.  He is not a 5 million dollar D and once it gets to there Van needs to trade or walk away.   I like Guddy at a certain price after that no thanks.   He is not a top 4 D.   

This is where I didn't like losing Pedan.  Nothing to do with Pouliot at all but just in terms of having some muscle on the back-end.   Pedan in 12 games is plus 7 and has 5 points. 

you can't bring up Pedan and his AHL points, period

5 hours ago, samurai said:

didn't read what i wrote - said Pouliot was not the issue or the point being made.   It was that what you get from Guddy you can could have got at a lot cheaper price with Pedan - not to mention Pedan is better skater and has a better shot.    

YOU don't get the point, Pedan's AHL work means nothing...

2 hours ago, Canuck_In_Paradise said:

We gave up a top prospect and a 2nd, so I'd be asking high if we were to trade Gudbranson. There aren't many Dmen in the league that can do what he can (provide that toughness and minute-munching ability while also not hindering the team's effectiveness). 

Yeah, we should totally trade that guy, what a waste of space.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, we should totally trade that guy, what a waste of space.

I'm not saying that we should trade him (I think it'd be better for us to keep him on board). However, if the decision is made that we need to move on from Guddy, then I think we need to make sure that we get fair value for a relatively rarer player in today's new NHL. 

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The best part for me was this: 

Defensive defenceman Karl Alzner, 28, got a five-year deal in free agency from the Montreal Canadiens on July 1 with a US$4.65 million cap hit.

That should be the absolute upper limit in signing a guy like Gudbranson. Alzner is a far better defenseman, and his market value was limited to 5 x 4.65m. If we're talking about extending Guddy, that should be the top. He's probably only worth around 4m, but the pending FA angle hurts us. 

11 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

It was a question - no source required.

Would expect they would not want to pay him more than their best dman, similar to when they signed Garrison.

3 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

That should be the absolute upper limit in signing a guy like Gudbranson. Alzner is a far better defenseman, and his market value was limited to 5 x 4.65m. If we're talking about extending Guddy, that should be the top. He's probably only worth around 4m, but the pending FA angle hurts us. 

There's no way Gudbranson can ask for $6mil, and even $5mil would be a top-end starting point, as he's not an offensive producer.  Very few defensive dmen make that kind of coin.  Alzner is 3 years older too, and was signed as a UFA which also bloats value.  AG should come in that $4-4.5 range, and hopefully a good long term to take him through his peak years.  Even if he deteriorates by 30, the cap will be significantly higher by then so his salary won't be an anchor.

4 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

The best part for me was this: 

Gudbranson pickrd the wrong city to try and hold ransom.  we shall prevail.  i wonder what he thinks of our rabid fanbase.  i expect him to t

re-up for 4.5 for 4-5 years or i expect him gone.  that alzner contract is a pain he doesn't deserve over 4 imo.

do we have comparable stats or corsi that would justify matching alzner type cash,?

Just now, Rush17 said:

Gudbranson pickrd the wrong city to try and hold ransom.  we shall prevail.  i wonder what he thinks of our rabid fanbase.  i expect him to t

re-up for 4.5 for 4-5 years or i expect him gone.  that alzner contract is a pain he doesn't deserve over 4 imo.

do we have comparable stats or corsi that would justify matching alzner type cash,?

the i only time i see gudbransons intangibles be worth 4.5 and above would be in a grueling 7 game playoff series where we need the other team beaten and battered.   i can see his value there big time.  he seems kind of useless in the regular season when hes not 100% physically invested. 

if guddy can play physical and defend well for more then a 1 or 2 game stretch i might support a contract signing.   he needs to be meaner and more assertive Scott Stevens style.  

maybe tryamkim is meant to be that guy. 

30 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Where do you get the idea that Gudbranson is holding Vancouver ransom? Did Sekeres say that? Maybe bitchford? Ah....it was Gilman. All three have zero involvement in the team and are intent on generating listenership for their station. 

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Great article.

The Demers rumors irked me before but really... FLA moved him to the Coyotes so they were obviously shopping him.  Makes perfect sense that they asked for his list regardless of what was on the table between FLA and ARI.  

I also assumed it was a one for one... but JB could have been exploring the angles.  Demers+ makes a lot more sense... especially if they moved him for McGinn.  Benning would have wanted a veteran blue liner back for Guddy though - he wasn’t going to let Green go into the season short handed.

28 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Great article.

The Demers rumors irked me before but really... FLA moved him to the Coyotes so they were obviously shopping him.  Makes perfect sense that they asked for his list regardless of what was on the table between FLA and ARI.  

I also assumed it was a one for one... but JB could have been exploring the angles.  Demers+ makes a lot more sense... especially if they moved him for McGinn.  Benning would have wanted a veteran blue liner back for Guddy though - he wasn’t going to let Green go into the season short handed.

Glad that Benning came out and dispelled those rumours and that Green spoke about Gudbranson in a positive light. As well, it's great to hear Gudbranson's positive take on the coaching change and new systems. I can see this working out extremely well for all parties involved. 

28 minutes ago, EagleShield said:

Well, he's hardly going to say "he's a 7-8th defence-man on a bottom 6 team in the NHL and is looking for a $30-40 million contract in the summer, so we'd like a 2nd and a prospect for him please"...

Awesome. Thanks Laurence. 

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I also assumed it was a one for one... but JB could have been exploring the angles.  Demers+ makes a lot more sense... 

From day one of this rumour, I'd always assumed that if it even got past simple discussion stage (which is debatable itself), that it would certainly have been Demers + coming back. There's like zero chance Benning would consider a one for one deal. I'm actually surprised at how many people did (and still do apparently) feel that way. 

Now if Benning was countering with something like Demers + Bjugstad he'd have been a fool to at least not consider his options there. But this in no way equates to management wanting or trying to get rid of Gudbranson. 

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

From day one of this rumour, I'd always assumed that if it even got past simple discussion stage (which is debatable itself), that it would certainly have been Demers + coming back. There's like zero chance Benning would consider a one for one deal. I'm actually surprised at how many people did (and still do apparently) feel that way. 

Now if Benning was countering with something like Demers + Bjugstad he'd have been a fool to at least not consider his options there. But this in no way equates to management wanting or trying to get rid of Gudbranson. 

Even in with Kuzma's article, there are still some folks out there who will stick to the same stupid narrative. They're beyond help. 

Archived