The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Dale Tallon (Florida) still interested in Gudbranson {from The Province Provies}

On 10/8/2017 at 0:46 AM, Jaku said:

Don't get me wrong, I like how Gudbranson plays the game. Any player that puts Lucic on his rear-end is okay with me. But, unfortunately he is an expendable asset. While we may enjoy hits and plays like this, Erik's skill set isn't exactly screaming elite and if Benning believes that he can get a player that will be a better return in the end then I don't think he'll pass up on it.

I agree. I also feel that if Gudbranson plays well this season, his contract demands are going to be huge and thats too much of a commitment for a guy with one good season in his belt. Conversely, holding on to him until he trading deadline will maximize his value. Could you imagine the haul we'll get from (for example) the Panthers if they are heading to the playoffs? It will be more than those 2 prospects mentioned in this thread I'll tell u that much

He is interesting.  When he is skating and really using his feet well he looks good.  When given time to think and playing a less mobile game he looks pretty rough.

Problem is he is likely looking at a LT contract around 5+ a year and just isn't worth it.  Feels like a TD move.

As bad as last year was and this year could be, next year could be a lot worse.  With Hutton seemingly getting worse with every year, Stetcher struggling a little, Edler getting older and OJ looking nowhere ready for the Pros our D could be a shell next year.  At least Chattfield is looking like could be a pro next year.  Brisebois probably needs at least a couple years in the AHL.

Small sample size, but Guddy has looked like a legit top 4 dman.  Skates well, wins puck battles, good stick and body contact.  I’ve really enjoyed his play so far.  

Still only 26, I’d sign him.  We need a presence like that.  

Trade Tanev at deadline for a kings ransom of high end picks and prospects.   Groom Chatfield in Utica until then. 

Trade hutton too.  I think Pouliot will be a far better option, even if he’s just as suspect defensively, the kid can run a PP, and we desperately need a ppqb. 

Hopefully draft one of the studly looking offensive RHDs.  Dahlin, Boqvist, Merkley.

1 hour ago, 70seven said:

Small sample size, but Guddy has looked like a legit top 4 dman.  Skates well, wins puck battles, good stick and body contact.  I’ve really enjoyed his play so far.  

Trade Tanev at deadline for a kings ransom of high end picks and prospects.   Groom Chatfield in Utica until then. 

Trade hutton too.  I think Pouliot will be a far better option, even if he’s just as suspect defensively, the kid can run a PP, and we desperately need a ppqb. 

Hopefully draft one of the studly looking offensive RHDs.  Dahlin, Boqvist, Merkley.

Out of + but very sound rational ++ something needs to give onD hopefully this is a year

2 hours ago, 70seven said:

But, but I heard he " got crushed like chips in a heavily-handled bag of Lays" - according to a Provies scribbler......"I watched this game"  LOL.  Thanalyticzzzz!

9 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Didn't help us last year when he was healthy

Last year being his first with the team?

Where he, according to most reports, injured his wrist in the preseason/early portion of the season (yet still played through it)?

Played on a pairing with Ben Hutton, who is showing the same signs of ill-advised defensive play he did last year?

Didn't have a more mature and steady defensive partner in Michael Del Zotto?

Yeah. Gudbranson should have been able to make a seamless transition to a new team in a new division in a new conference under, essentially, a rookie coach who was summarily fired that the end of the season. Silly Erik.....

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I'm glad Demers vetoed the supposed deal. 

I think Guddy has looked awesome and saw a vid about how his leadership is helping the team gel and helping younger guys and guys who are struggling.

Also like how they continue to push Hutton. He hasn't played well every night but still giving him opportunities.

3 hours ago, Calvin's Dog said:

Right now I'm glad Demers vetoed the supposed deal. 

Im happy to have guddy on the team but without knowing the bounty that was coming with demers you really can't call it a good thing the deal was nixed.

3 hours ago, coryberg said:

Im happy to have guddy on the team but without knowing the bounty that was coming with demers you really can't call it a good thing the deal was nixed.

Oh I thought I heard it was one for one with Demer's contract certainty being the balance.

but if not the case you make a good point!

4 hours ago, coryberg said:

don't know there was a bounty either.  all that is known is that Demers refused to waive - chances are there was no deal.

the assumption here is that there was something beyond Tallon asking Demers to waive - it stands to reason that there were no actual negotiations nor a deal given that fact, which precludes a deal.

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

Gudbranson should be locked up long term asap. He's a beast out there. There's no way Talon is getting his Guddy back unless they pay up BIG TIME!

I agree! If he keeps playing hard and smart hockey why not sign him? He is still young and can be a leader to an even younger core.

I think you can't keep trading to build, if you have a piece build on it.

5 minutes ago, Calvin's Dog said:

I agree! If he keeps playing hard and smart hockey why not sign him? He is still young and can be a leader to an even younger core.

I think you can't keep trading to build, if you have a piece build on it.

What if Guddy doesn’t want to sign here though:(

4 hours ago, Calvin's Dog said:

Oh I thought I heard it was one for one with Demer's contract certainty being the balance.

but if not the case you make a good point!

If there was even a deal in place (which is highly debatable), there's no way there wasn't another asset coming back for downgrading our D AND taking in a cap dump in Demers. 

Archived