The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] 16 Million to round out Top 6

Less than 9 months till UFA...better get on it.

Tuff call on both sides...think the 1 yr 3.5 was a big win for Guddys side.

Hope was amicable negotiation...didn't really hear much about it.

Spoiler
1 minute ago, Canadian Clay said:

I think I’d want to keep Guddy. Big body, right handed shot, can eat up big minutes, and he’s still only 25. I think his AAV depends on how he plays this year, probably 5 years, 4-5 million per? He’s not easily replaced

5 minutes ago, nickels said:

Less than 9 months till UFA...better get on it.

Tuff call on both sides...think the 1 yr 3.5 was a big win for Guddys side.

Hope was amicable negotiation...didn't really hear much about it.

Hide contents

Canucks have until July 1st to negotiate and I’m sure they will want to see what he has to offer before the begin talks. I imagine that contract talks will take place after TDL

5 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Canucks have until July 1st to negotiate and I’m sure they will want to see what he has to offer before the begin talks. I imagine that contract talks will take place after TDL

I would hope before the TDL....kinda weighs on whether or not they move him.

3 hours ago, ArkDepot said:

:o

I'd write Tryamkin a $5M cheque way before I threw that it Guddy.

Edler is the top guy at $6M right now but he earned that based on past performance. Guddy has not earned the $3.5 he's earning now, never mind a $1.5M raise. 

Maybe that changes by Christmas.... but right now, no way. Just my 2 bits 

he'll earn it, or close to it, and get that as a ufa imo. He was a key part of that 1st win and hopefully a lot more like it. 

3 hours ago, EdgarM said:

It makes no sense NOT to spend to the Cap in this day and age. What would be the advantage to not spending it? Unless your a cheap owner who would like to save a few bucks.

There are roughly 23 pieces to the puzzle in building a championship team. Are we to wait until we win the draft lottery in getting a couple of top 6 forwards? AND then wait until they develop? I think Bo would be retiring before that happens.

You build a team with what tools are given to you which includes buying FA's. Like one of the pother posters said, If a superstar becomes available, you grab him. Does it matter how we obtain him? He is a piece to the puzzle. We have the available cap space because we have not drafted such a player and lucked out getting a Matthews or McDavid.

If we continue on this upward swing, we may be more attractive to FA's more then you think.

The advantage of not spending to the cap is having cap space when you really need it.  I think Tavares is an amazing player, but he is significantly older than our new core.

I would rather see Benning continue to develop the team slowly and methodically and make smart acquisitions when it makes sense to.  There are no quick fixes.

16 hours ago, ArkDepot said:

Edler is the top guy at $6M right now but he earned that based on past performance. Guddy has not earned the $3.5 he's earning now, never mind a $1.5M raise. 

Sadly,  the new trend in the NHL is moving away from paying guys for what they did in the past towards paying guys for what they might or what they will do in the future.  If Quads proves his worth through the first half/three quarters of the season I can easily see an extension in the neighborhood of 4yr/4.5 AAV or thereabouts. We have literally no one in our entire system in his mold of a player since Pedan was traded.  

56 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Sadly,  the new trend in the NHL is moving away from paying guys for what they did in the past towards paying guys for what they might or what they will do in the future.

Sadly ?  

I may be in the minority(hope not)...but i think contracts absolutely should be "towards paying guys for what they might or what they will do in the future."

It seems some of ours (Sedins/Burrows come to mind)...were along the lines of your thoughts and compensating them for past performances when maybe they were getting below market value.

I would offer Kane a 4 year contract Horvat money. He's what we need in our top 6 big fast and mean goal scorer. I'd also offer the Sedins a one year deal worth 3.5m each as Dahlen, Pettersson, are still a ways out and I would say the twins still bring more to the table than Rodin, Goldobin.     

4 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Give Kyle Turris and Evander Kane the Sedin's contracts, two BC boys with miles left! 

Like this...

Kane's getting expensive...2 more this afternoon  4g 2a 6pts.in 3 gms

Prob play with Eichel most of the year...

6 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Sadly,  the new trend in the NHL is moving away from paying guys for what they did in the past towards paying guys for what they might or what they will do in the future.  If Quads proves his worth through the first half/three quarters of the season I can easily see an extension in the neighborhood of 4yr/4.5 AAV or thereabouts. We have literally no one in our entire system in his mold of a player since Pedan was traded.  

We do still hold the right to Tryamkin though. And he's on record saying he'd consider coming back here after his contract in the KHL is done. 

Benning should call Larionov and work something out for 2020.
Sign Guddy to a 3 year deal for $4.5M w/ no NTC/NMC! , and then flip him in the offseason (or even at the deadline in 2020) 
Guddy will be 28 by then and still be at an age where he has value.
Tryank will be 26.

You keep your team younger (preventing CSCD - Canucks Stale Core Disease) , while improving on size and skill at the position, bring in a guy who costs you nothing (aside from $) and move on from another for picks and/or depth. (further preventing CSCD) 

:shrugs:

edit: took some hoop jumping but managed to get this. Check it out. Nikita McHorvat

Hard to believe that Try won't be coming back at some point....

Silver lining in Larionov being his agent. Real stand up guy that has a luv for the city and the league.

Prob more rubles in Igors pockets on this side of the pond.

I would assume there will be ongoing dialogue and the team will remain aware of his mind set moving fwd.

Tough to determine where you would spend the salary, especially if the Sedins decide they want to come back for another year. Have to factor in that Gudbranson, Granlund, and Baertschi all are due up for their next contracts and will get raises. Chances are Baertschi/Granlund will be worth at least 3M per by the end of the season and Gudbranson will be able to get UFA interest in the 5M range. 

On 10/8/2017 at 2:54 PM, goalie13 said:

I think I would pass.

He is going to command a long term, enormous money contract.  The team we have right now is building towards the future and isn't ready to contend.  As good as Tavares is, I don't think he is enough to turn the Canucks into instant contenders.  If he was, the Islanders would have won more than a single playoff series in the time he has been there.  By the time our roster is good enough to contend alongside Tavares, he would be at the tail end of his prime years.

So that means, by acquiring Tavares, Benning would have to abandon his long-term plan and try to win it all in the next few years which I think is a recipe for disaster.

Not that it matters as I don't believe Tavares would ever consider a rebuilding team.  He has already played for one his entire career.

Superstars usually command a long term, enormous money contract unless you don't want any superstar players on your team. IF they can get Tavares, they should just sign him no matter the cost since the Sedins will be off the books and right now Tavares >>>>> Sedins. We also don't have any young phenom to command McDavid or Eichel money if you are so worried about the future. Bo Horvat is probably the only highest paid player we would have and he isn't even close to a McDavid.

3 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Tough to determine where you would spend the salary, especially if the Sedins decide they want to come back for another year. Have to factor in that Gudbranson, Granlund, and Baertschi all are due up for their next contracts and will get raises. Chances are Baertschi/Granlund will be worth at least 3M per by the end of the season and Gudbranson will be able to get UFA interest in the 5M range. 

Gudbranson hasn't done anything yet to command a 5M range salary. He will probably sign for 4M because he was injured and terrible last season and we have yet to see what he is like this season. 

On 10/9/2017 at 8:48 AM, Fanuck said:

I think Quads won't see that type of money because of his proneness to injury. You don't pay a defensive D-man that type of money if they only play half a season or less. Also anything above 4.5 is usually given to a defenseman that is a bit more offensive unless its someone like Vlasic. 

Archived