The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) VAN - FLA

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

What Vancouver paid to get him is inconsequential.  He hasn't been good (so far) in Vancouver and now he's a pending UFA.  I'm not saying Vancouver should trade him. But his value certainly hasn't increased in his time in Vancouver, let alone  to the level of what you said you'd want in return. 

Exactly, what did you base your opinion on, QW? His injured play from last year, or the 1 games he has played this year?

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that there are 2 factors is play....possibly 3......in reference to Gud........

#1, He played very well in his first game, this season, with a none injured hand

#2. Tallon wants him back..........Dale Tallon wants him back....think about that one for a second

So, if Guds value was McCann (who was showing well for a 1st rounder) + a 2nd + 4th

McCann has shown improvement........an important thing,as that is what Florida was hoping for

The 2nd are decent prospects

#3. If he wants to resign with Vancouver and Vancouver wants to pay.....

Value wise ...back to florida..........2018 1st + 2019 2nd + 2018 3rd

The reason is Tallon wants him back and that costs extra

But just for the record......I wait until Late Dec. and if he has shown consistency........I sign him long term (5 yrs) for 5 million per year....and I don't worry about the hit....No NTC

Gudbransons value has taken a hit since he has joined the Canucks. He won't get us what will be an early first rounder and a blue chip prospect.

We're better off waiting until the deadline. Hes fresh off of surgery and if his wrist is properly fixed he may have a better season. If he plays well then we can ship him off for a good package. Or if he's happy to play here just keep him.

If he really plays well enough I wouldn't mind moving him or Tanev for a blue chip right side defensemen. Asides from Subban we are really lacking there prospect wise

1 hour ago, TNucks1 said:

ah, yeah true forgot about that. well here's hoping he re-signs but if he wants out hopefully he tells management a head of time.

I don't think he'd mess up a chance to go to a contending team and hopefully his agent won't be like Kesler's and make public announcements that limit our trade options... that being said lets hope he see's a future here. My bet is Jim will offer a competitive deal. 

That wrist injury really hurt Jim's options for a trade, had Guddy stayed healthy moving him in an RFA year last TDL would have been the time to get the best return for him which was likely what Jim had in mind if an extension wasn't possible, but so much for best laid plans. 

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Exactly, what did you base your opinion on, QW? His injured play from last year, or the 1 games he has played this year?

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that there are 2 factors is play....possibly 3......in reference to Gud........

#1, He played very well in his first game, this season, with a none injured hand

#2. Tallon wants him back..........Dale Tallon wants him back....think about that one for a second

So, if Guds value was McCann (who was showing well for a 1st rounder) + a 2nd + 4th

McCann has shown improvement........an important thing,as that is what Florida was hoping for

The 2nd are decent prospects

#3. If he wants to resign with Vancouver and Vancouver wants to pay.....

Value wise ...back to florida..........2018 1st + 2019 2nd + 2018 3rd

The reason is Tallon wants him back and that costs extra

But just for the record......I wait until Late Dec. and if he has shown consistency........I sign him long term (5 yrs) for 5 million per year....and I don't worry about the hit....No NTC

I wrote what I based it on. So far Gudbranson hasn't been good in Vancouver.  Yes. There are extenuating circumstances with an injury. But that doesn't erase that fact.  And secondly he's now a pending UFA. that doesn't mean he won't show his value this year.  Or that he should be traded.  But right now. His value is NOT higher than what he was traded for. 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

I wrote what I based it on. So far Gudbranson hasn't been good in Vancouver.  Yes. There are extenuating circumstances with an injury. But that doesn't erase that fact.  And secondly he's now a pending UFA. that doesn't mean he won't show his value this year.  Or that he should be traded.  But right now. His value is NOT higher than what he was traded for. 

I guess it is just me, but I don't see it lower or higher......only see that Tallon has tried to get him back.....which only increases him value when discussing Talon, if that makes sense?

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I guess it is just me, but I don't see it lower or higher......only see that Tallon has tried to get him back.....which only increases him value when discussing Talon, if that makes sense?

Maybe Tallon is playing a bit of poker right now...see what the price is or just wait it out until Gudbranson goes to ufa if nothing gets done on the Canuck side.

19 hours ago, ken kaniff said:

No way Florida does that. I like Gudbranson and I hope he can put it together this year but at this point you're lucky to get a 2nd round pick for him. 

Your clueless. He has value right now. You don't trade a top 4 Dman who deters the league tough guys for a mere 2nd. Stop smoking grass. 

Gudbranson is worth way more as a defenseman to the Canucks than as a trade chip. He and Del Zotto are proving to be the most balanced, sound defensive pairing on the team, but some posters here say trade him, so that Vancouver can continue to be one of the softer teams in the league....

I wouldn't be surprised at all if, in the event that Gudbranson is traded, these same posters would be up in arms at Benning for not having enough toughness on the roster, as Edmonton and Calgary take liberties with the team.

Benning will have to do everything in his power to convince Gudbranson to sign long term. Hopefully by that time, the on air morons will have ceased their infernal chatter, and the ill-advised idea of trading a big, strong, fearless, and defensively sound blueline is dead, with the news of a 5 year extension for the big man.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Gudbranson is worth way more as a defenseman to the Canucks than as a trade chip. He and Del Zotto are proving to be the most balanced, sound defensive pairing on the team, but some posters here say trade him, so that Vancouver can continue to be one of the softer teams in the league....

I wouldn't be surprised at all if, in the event that Gudbranson is traded, these same posters would be up in arms at Benning for not having enough toughness on the roster, as Edmonton and Calgary take liberties with the team.

Benning will have to do everything in his power to convince Gudbranson to sign long term. Hopefully by that time, the on air morons will have ceased their infernal chatter, and the ill-advised idea of trading a big, strong, fearless, and defensively sound blueline is dead, with the news of a 5 year extension for the big man.

But if we get offered an incredible package containing a first and a a good prospect can we really pass it up?

22 minutes ago, NuckForReal!!! said:

But if we get offered an incredible package containing a first and a a good prospect can we really pass it up?

If Gudbranson wants to resign here, and his agent and Benning hammer out a deal, yes you pass it up.

While it's only been two games, Gudbranson and Del Zotto are showing great chemistry and look to be the best pairing on the defense. They have the physicality to manage most any forward line in the league (which is something that the Canucks have lacked for some time). They also are very responsible in their own end, playing a simple game with steel nerves.

There are other defensemen on the team who should be looked at as trade candidates before Gudbranson. Namely Edler and Hutton.

Edler because he still could hold some value to a contender, and everything he provides as a defenseman is covered by other players on the blueline.

Hutton, while possessing some great potential, could possibly be usurped by Pouliot, Chatfield, McEney, and others. His skill set isn't that unique that he can't be replaced.

I'm not going to go Heffy on them and say that they're useless. Edler has over a decade of experience in the league for a reason, and Hutton has stuck with the team for a reason. They possess talents that other teams would like to have, but also talents that the Canucks already have on the defensive corps and in Utica.

Neither Edler nor Hutton are as imposing a presence, nor have shown the capability to lock down their nerves and focus on simple safe plays as Gudbranson has.

It's still early in the season, but if I was to build a defense corps, outside of having talented puck movers like Del Zotto, Stecher, and Pouliot, and rock solid stay at home players like Tanev, I think it would be pertinent to have a defenseman capable of neutralizing aggressive forechecks, and take ownership of the area in front of Markstrom. Gudbranson is doing just that.

Trading him would ring the dinner bell, and essentially let the rest of the league know that it's business as usual with Vancouver.

On 10/9/2017 at 7:42 PM, Winter Soldier said:

I'm not really keen on trading the only big bodied dude we have on the backend.

Didn't Green just say he likes Virtanen in our line-up because we are too soft?  Without Guddy on our back end we would be sponges back there.  We need more Guddy's, who can play the game, and be physical, don't we?

Basically already said, but I'll restructure a few thoughts and pass them off as my own without anyone noticing....

1) We are already not a very gritty team.  Losing Gudbranson makes it even worse.  Now I realize that grit, size and heavy hitting aren't as important as they used to be but I maintain it IS still a definite factor... especially in the playoffs.

2) Florida is likely the only location we could trade him to and get a good return.  However, we would be trading from a very weak position considering his contract is over at the end of the season and he could simply walk.  And it's for that reason that I can't see the proposal happening.  Florida is likely to be a mid to low mid 1st round pick, and I can't see Talon giving up more than that, let alone Borgstrom, who was a 1st rounder himself.  While Borgstrom looked positively unspectacular for Finland last time around, he has done quite well in Denver and I think his potential upside would make him a piece Talon would not be willing to give up without a strong piece going back from us.

Still, with all this said, I do think that such a trade should be investigated.  If Talon wants him back then we should at least see what he's willing to give up.  I think our position becomes stronger if it appears Florida will make the playoffs so perhaps it is better to wait until such time in order to maximize value.

Archived