The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The curious case of Brock Boeser

kurtzfan

I get it.  Green doesn't want both the kids in the lineup in the same game, particularly against better teams such as Edmonton and Ottawa . Dorsett up against McDavid to me was a stroke of brilliance on TG's part...I will be the first to admit how pissed I was prior to the game.  Afterwards, it was genius.  Jake has played well, what kind of message would it send him to swap him out for Brock?  That's counterproductive to his gaining confidence and being a full-time, contributing roster member.  There's a lot of hockey to be played, Brock will get his opportunities to show why he should play.  And he will.  

Wow.  What a great problem to have.

1 minute ago, Bavel_Pure said:

I get it.  Green doesn't want both the kids in the lineup in the same game, particularly against better teams such as Edmonton and Ottawa . Dorsett up against McDavid to me was a stroke of brilliance on TG's part...I will be the first to admit how pissed I was prior to the game.  Afterwards, it was genius.  Jake has played well, what kind of message would it send him to swap him out for Brock?  That's counterproductive to his gaining confidence and being a full-time, contributing roster member.  There's a lot of hockey to be played, Brock will get his opportunities to show why he should play.  And he will.  

Wow.  What a great problem to have.

Bermistrov is likely out next game.  Green said we are too soft, and not hard enough to play against.  Jake stays in.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Bermistrov is likely out next game.  Green said we are too soft, and not hard enough to play against.  Jake stays in.

Hadn't heard that.  That's good to know.  I had heard something somewhere sometime about him not wanting both rookies playing...may have not been a direct quote.  Thanks!

5 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Loyalty or pity? Yes they have been great players for us but do we need to continue to play them on the #1 PP and #1 line until that such day comes? Or do we resign them because of what they have done for us all of these years?  You are right, dignity and honor, help them realize there time  playing in the NHL is ending and hang up the skates before they embarrass themselves further. Finish while "still on top" so to speak.

Have you watched the last two games?  Top PP time maybe but definitely not 1rst line minutes.  

6 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Loyalty or pity? Yes they have been great players for us but do we need to continue to play them on the #1 PP and #1 line until that such day comes? Or do we resign them because of what they have done for us all of these years?  You are right, dignity and honor, help them realize there time  playing in the NHL is ending and hang up the skates before they embarrass themselves further. Finish while "still on top" so to speak.

They'll either retire or sign for a reduced rate, and they're getting ice time that works for them at this stage of their careers, not #1 minutes.  And they're also not getting #1 pp time. If you watch closely, they get sent out on the pp when they're rested and the other pp line is not, and vise versa. 

You won't see the Sedinery like we used to during their prime years, but you will see them play well this year and help out in many ways on and off the ice. Honestly, though, your attitude towards them, after all they've done for this organizing and community, is the exact type of attitude that gives Nucks fans a bad name. 

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

I knew I'd be upsetting the sacred applecart.  I have no problem with them deciding whatever they decide. They've earned it, and I have the utmost respect for their decision. It is admirable in a way and is a great pat on the back to those of us living in Vancouver. But you can't avoid thinking about the why though. Its hard for me to even come up with a name of a past or future HHoF player, who had not won a Cup yet, not going to a contending team in his latter years. Uprooting families of players is done every year, its part of the job. And most do it without a promise of playing for a contender.

Everyone's different, and they certainly won't react the way a group of hardcore fans expect them to. Plus, it might not be as meaningful if its with an unfamiliar group. Yes, players get uprooted all the time. Doesn't mean they want to, or *should* want to.

When I think about responses like this, it reminds me of how they treated Sundin in Toronto. The fanbase collectively said "if you don't let the leafs trade you to a contended for picks, you don't give a &^@# about winning.". When the reality was they just wanted the picks, and would latch on to any reason to justify. And of course, anger laced reactions always seem to be attractive in this case.

So when I hear people say things like this, I personally think its more about the player than the fan. 

18 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I would think Baertschi and Horvat. 

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Vanek

Granlund Sutter Dorsett

Virtanen Gagner Eriksson

from practice it looks like they would start with...

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Vanek

Eriksson Granlund Virtanen

Gagner Sutter Dorsett

I thought it was a horrible decision to leave Brock out of game 2. Turned out I was right. First game I thought it was brilliant because Dorsett needed to shut down McDavid but tonight who did Dorsett need to shut down? We needed skill against a meh team. 

Travis Green:  1st round pick, 23rd overall 1989. Touted to be an offensive 1st line force.

Brock Boeser: 1st round pick, 23rd overall 2015. Touted to be an offensive 1st line force.

I think Greener is simply waxing a bit of his experience off on Brock, because he's been there, done that, gone through it. He'll be a better player long term for it.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

So no chance for Boeser then because he is no grittier than Burmistrov. Maybe that's why Green is reluctant to put him in. 

I actually think Burmistrov is pretty gritty by the way.

26 minutes ago, ArkDepot said:

Travis Green:  1st round pick, 23rd overall 1989. Touted to be an offensive 1st line force.

Brock Boeser: 1st round pick, 23rd overall 2015. Touted to be an offensive 1st line force.

I think Greener is simply waxing a bit of his experience off on Brock, because he's been there, done that, gone through it. He'll be a better player long term for it.

Agreed. There are too many people on here who are too willing to start criticising Green already. 

It's bad enough listening to the jackals on the post game interviews without pages of it on here. Our media are an embarrassment and frankly the reason most of them are still in a job imo is because so many of this fanbase drink down their half glass empty poisonous koolaid like it was the gospel.

14 hours ago, TheYjUstMaKeYoUwooZy said:

Have you watched the last two games?  Top PP time maybe but definitely not 1rst line minutes.  

Yes I did and the first game was great. It was blatantly obvious they were no longer the top minute getters. Then, the last game it became eerily similar to last year where they were playing too much and that 3 on 3 was scary to watch as it was last year. The last game was not fluent what so ever and the pace had slowed right down from the first game. Coincidence with  the Sedins playing more minutes? Same with the PP. They became the #1 PP again and they were coming out first. I think the only reason they played less last game was because of matchups with McDavid.

13 hours ago, Jester13 said:

They'll either retire or sign for a reduced rate, and they're getting ice time that works for them at this stage of their careers, not #1 minutes.  And they're also not getting #1 pp time. If you watch closely, they get sent out on the pp when they're rested and the other pp line is not, and vise versa. 

You won't see the Sedinery like we used to during their prime years, but you will see them play well this year and help out in many ways on and off the ice. Honestly, though, your attitude towards them, after all they've done for this organizing and community, is the exact type of attitude that gives Nucks fans a bad name. 

We have not seen the "Sedinery" for some years now. Remember when they came on, their entire ice time was played in the offensive zone? Remember when they made a pass it always went to where they intended it to? Remember when their PP consisted of playing the entire PP in the ozone and them getting numerous chances to score? Remember when their foot speed was never talked about?

I have great respect for them but I have more respect for the ENTIRE TEAM more. Fans in the past have dissed Bure and Kessler at times so everyone has their own opinions on individual players. Players will come and go but the team will always remain.

59 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

We have not seen the "Sedinery" for some years now. Remember when they came on, their entire ice time was played in the offensive zone? Remember when they made a pass it always went to where they intended it to? Remember when their PP consisted of playing the entire PP in the ozone and them getting numerous chances to score? Remember when their foot speed was never talked about?

I have great respect for them but I have more respect for the ENTIRE TEAM more. Fans in the past have dissed Bure and Kessler at times so everyone has their own opinions on individual players. Players will come and go but the team will always remain.

I certainly do remember, and we still see flashes of it, albeit less so now.

But my point has nothing to do with their decline in play and everything to do with the fact that you're essentially wanting to drive them out of town during the last year of their contracts; contracts that are likely going to finish off their careers; careers that they've spent entirely with our organization; an organization that has been positively transformed because of their play and leadership and community involvement--some will argue, in fact, myself included, that they've positively impacted professional sports as a whole because of their involvement within their community. To lump them in with Bure and Kesler is beyond ridiculous, considering what the Sedins have done compared to what Bure and Kesler ever did. 

But, hey, let's get rid of them before they "embarrass" themselves more. 

I don't think they're the ones that should feel embarrassed. 

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Yes I did and the first game was great. It was blatantly obvious they were no longer the top minute getters. Then, the last game it became eerily similar to last year where they were playing too much and that 3 on 3 was scary to watch as it was last year. The last game was not fluent what so ever and the pace had slowed right down from the first game. Coincidence with  the Sedins playing more minutes? Same with the PP. They became the #1 PP again and they were coming out first. I think the only reason they played less last game was because of matchups with McDavid.

Henrik is on pace for 82 points playing 13 minutes per night.  hahahhaa Troll on!

Or do you prefer Henrik has 1,000 points in his career.

The twins were our best forwards last game.  They are easily excellent players in their reduced roles.

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Do you think that might be because we were playing the best trap style team in the NHL from last year?  There are two teams on the ice and Ottawa was arguably the BEST trap team last year, they almost took out the Pens and by all rights they should have.

Archived