The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrew Wiggins now Canada's highest paid athlete

Mackcanuck

NBA contracts are astronomically high right now, bench players are making 10mil / year.  Pass me the rock yo, sign me up for that!

Good on him though, he's leading the new wave of Canadians poised to take over the NBA(cuz that's were the moneys at::D)

Good for him. I see people complain about player salaries especially with players now making nearly 41M a year and it does sound insane but considering their commitment (in most cases), the rarity of their skillset and the risks that they take in regards to injuries and their long term health, they absolutely deserve whatever they can wrest out of an owner's pockets. In fact the concept of a regular kid (not born into money) using his talent and working hard enough to become one of the best players in the world at a sport is something that I find inspirational. 

50 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well we invented it so its nice to see one of us get paid! holy cow thats a lot of dough 

Basketball was invented in the US (Massachusetts) by James Naismith who had become an American citizen a few years before.

4 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

2nd biggest contract to a Canadian in sports... Joey Vottos contract was for 225,000,000 when he signed.

Votto's contract was for a decade.  He makes just over 20 million per year.  Wiggins pulls in nearly 30 million per year over 5 years.

5 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Basketball was invented in the US (Massachusetts) by James Naismith who had become an American citizen a few years before.

American propaganda. He was Canadian who moved to your capitalist haven for work. 

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Votto's contract was for a decade.  He makes just over 20 million per year.  Wiggins pulls in nearly 30 million per year over 5 years.

Still the biggest contract though? 10 years is risky so I'm sure that reflects in the discount as at the time of signing  Votto was thought to be a 27-35m/year player.

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

American propaganda. He was Canadian who moved to your capitalist haven for work. 

I'd agree if he didn't also become a citizen.  :lol:

I believe his exact words were, "Thank God I'm out of that nightmare known as Canada"!

Just now, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Still the biggest contract though? 10 years is risky so I'm sure that reflects in the discount as at the time of signing  Votto was thought to be a 27-35m/year player.

Either way, they both have 9 figure contracts for playing a child's game...  The 2 safest ones on top of it.

6 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'd agree if he didn't also become a citizen.  :lol:

I believe his exact words were, "Thank God I'm out of that nightmare known as Canada"!

he actually didn't become as US citizen until 1925.... so yeah it was a Canadian (http://www.encyclopedia.com/people/sports-and-games/sports-biographies/james-naismith), just one of many sucked into your capitalist mecca. But thanks to Trump that trend is reversing. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he actually didn't become as US citizen until 1925.... so yeah it was a Canadian (http://www.encyclopedia.com/people/sports-and-games/sports-biographies/james-naismith), just one of many sucked into your capitalist mecca. But thanks to Trump that trend is reversing. 

It was invented in Massachusetts.  He had been in the US for some time as a YMCA instructor.

Archived