The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is There Enough Depth for a Galchenyuk Trade?

Just a super quick discussion.

Galchenyuk is 0 for.  Zero.  Nadda.  Zilch.  Nothing.  He's currently the whipping boy of les Toilet Seats and their fans.

Bobby Macsays straight and true "now's not the time to trade him"

But his value is as low as it's ever been.  The lack of responsible 2 way forwards and scoring is killing the Habs.

Do we FINALLY have enough depth to get that trade done?

My thoughts are a good prospect and high pick.  Possibly a young roster player and pick/prospect.

I'm still thinking we're one solid drafts worth of depth before we can make this trade.  But I don't think we lose out much if we can obtain him while his value is so low

I really like Chucky, and would love him on our team.  I think the GM in Hab land needs to win now, so he might prefer a more developed play.  I'm thinking Sutter and a prospect and a pick might look good.  Maybe, Sutter + Goldobin + our coming second?  We might have to take another contract along with Chucky to balance out.

28 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

He'll be in a bigger deal for scoring help now.  A pick and a prospect likely isn't overly attractive 

As usual with Habs-related posts, @qwijibo has it right. We have assets, but they are sadly the WRONG assets. Habs are in full win now mode, with a ticking clock on Weber. If Bergevin doesn't show enough success to justify his huge moves lately, then he is gone this year or the next and he knows it. Sadly that likely rules out picks and prospects as trade bait. 

Their perceived problems at the moment are scoring related (despite having the highest shot rate and lowest shooting percentage in the league currently). They are more than enough middle six defensive guys and stay at home defenders. Can you really think of a high end offensive piece on our roster that we want to give up for Chucky? I don't think that I can really. 

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I really like Chucky, and would love him on our team.  I think the GM in Hab land needs to win now, so he might prefer a more developed play.  I'm thinking Sutter and a prospect and a pick might look good.  Maybe, Sutter + Goldobin + our coming second?  We might have to take another contract along with Chucky to balance out.

Sutter and a 2nd should be more than enough. Sutter stabilizes their 2-way play and adds some scoring, Goldy is someone I think we need to hang on to, it sounds like he's really getting the message in Utica. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Sutter and a 2nd should be more than enough. Sutter stabilizes their 2-way play and adds some scoring, Goldy is someone I think we need to hang on to, it sounds like he's really getting the message in Utica. 

A third line centre is not the piece  they'd be looking for to trade Galchenyuk 

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

A third line centre is not the piece  they'd be looking for to trade Galchenyuk 

why not? Sutter is a solid 3C that can take on the matchup defensive duties and allow MTLs forwards more chances to score. 

Archived