The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is There Enough Depth for a Galchenyuk Trade?

7 minutes ago, Kelly Green said:

it would be a desperate move for sure, but i see these are desperate time in montreal

SPORTSNET: Despite the Montreal Canadiens poor start (1-6-1), Elliotte Friedman believes they’re determined not to make any panic moves. He also doesn’t think there’s a desire by ownership to replace general manager Marc Bergevin at this time. Chris Johnston feels the key for the Canadiens is goaltender Carey Price returning to his usually stellar form.

Tradung for a third line centre isn't going to turn the teams fortunes around. A desperation move was moving Sergachev forDrouin.  Price has struggled this year. If he returns to form that will improve the situation.  If they get forced into a desperation move. It will be moving fir a legit top 6 guy to help with scoring. 

10 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I disagree. Danault is far better suited for top 6!minutes than Sutter , so is drouin. Sutter and Plekanec are roughly on par. 

Yes Drouin and Danault have better suited skill sets for top six centres, but they are not fully developed.  I believe they are being put into roles they are not ready for.  Sutter could take those tougher minutes, along with Plekanic, freeing up the other two guys for easier minutes. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes Drouin and Danault have better suited skill sets for top six centres, but they are not fully developed.  I believe they are being put into roles they are not ready for.  Sutter could take those tougher minutes, along with Plekanic, freeing up the other two guys for easier minutes. 

Sutter isn't going to replace Drouin on the top line.  And Danault put up more points last season. Than Sutter has put up since he wa in Carolina. Sutter doesn't fill a need for Montreal.  At all. 

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

SPORTSNET: Despite the Montreal Canadiens poor start (1-6-1), Elliotte Friedman believes they’re determined not to make any panic moves. He also doesn’t think there’s a desire by ownership to replace general manager Marc Bergevin at this time. Chris Johnston feels the key for the Canadiens is goaltender Carey Price returning to his usually stellar form.

Tradung for a third line centre isn't going to turn the teams fortunes around. A desperation move was moving Sergachev forDrouin.  Price has struggled this year. If he returns to form that will improve the situation.  If they get forced into a desperation move. It will be moving fir a legit top 6 guy to help with scoring. 

when managers say that they are usually already working on exactly that :-D

hopefully the habs can get it turned around soon , its going to be another win one ,lose one season in vancouver with or without number 20

7 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Sutter isn't going to replace Drouin on the top line.  And Danault put up more points last season. Than Sutter has put up since he wa in Carolina. Sutter doesn't fill a need for Montreal.  At all. 

Sutter will not replace Drouin on the Hab’s top line.  I agree, but ?Sutter will allow Drouin to be a far more effective offensive player by taking the harder minutes.  The Habs will certainly be a much improved offensive team with Sutter. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Sutter will not replace Drouin on the Hab’s top line.  I agree, but ?Sutter will allow Drouin to be a far more effective offensive player by taking the harder minutes.  The Habs will certainly be a much improved offensive team with Sutter. 

How exactly will Sutter do that?  Drouin is going to play the minutes he's going to play.  And Sutter doesn't bring anything to the party that Plekanec can't do.  Sutter is redundant 

Just now, qwijibo said:

How exactly will Sutter do that?  Drouin is going to play the minutes he's going to play.  And Sutter doesn't bring anything to the party that Plekanec can't do.  Sutter is redundant 

Plekanic is a lefty.  Sutter is a righty.  That’s two balanced 200 foot centres to play all the toughest minutes.  (And I think Sutter is better in that role than Plekanic, considering where they are in the careers).  The Habs are in for a very tough year if they don’t address the defensive side of the puck at their centre position. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Plekanic is a lefty.  Sutter is a righty.  That’s two balanced 200 foot centres to play all the toughest minutes.  (And I think Sutter is better in that role than Plekanic, considering where they are in the careers).  The Habs are in for a very tough year if they don’t address the defensive side of the puck at their centre position. 

Montreal needs Price to find his game. And they need to start putting pucks in the net.  And even if Sutter is slightly better than Plekanec at this point (which I am not conceding) they don't need two guys who playbrssrntidlky the same role in their top 9 

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal needs Price to find his game. And they need to start putting pucks in the net.  And even if Sutter is slightly better than Plekanec at this point (which I am not conceding) they don't need two guys who playbrssrntidlky the same role in their top 9 

Sutter will free up Drouin, much like Kesler did here for Henrik.  More goals will come from Drouin’s line, and Price will face fewer top quality chances.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Sutter will free up Drouin, much like Kesler did here for Henrik.  More goals will come from Drouin’s line, and Price will face fewer top quality chances.  

Sutter = redundant = not a need for Montreal  If anything they should be making a play for Duchene or RNH

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

Sutter = redundant = not a need for Montreal  If anything they should be making a play for Duchene or RNH

The Habs have Drouin.  They don’t need to add more guys like him.  They need to compliment him, so he can excel.  I doubt Bergiven is allowed to make any more trades now any way.  

Just now, Alflives said:

The Habs have Drouin.  They don’t need to add more guys like him.  They need to compliment him, so he can excel.  I doubt Bergiven is allowed to make any more trades now any way.  

Habs have Plekanec, they don't need more guys like him.  They need guys to put the puck in the net

1 hour ago, Kelly Green said:

it would be a desperate move for sure, but i see these are desperate time in montreal

Subban and his slightly larger cap hit and his 4 years younger traded for Weber until 2026 (wow...)

Allowing all his role players to walk last year

Watching Markov walk for basically nothing

Trading their best D prospect for a kid who has shown he has...issues after watching one of their best D men walk

Beaulieu, Desharnais, Eller, 

Really the only trade he's made that is working out in the last 2 years is Danault.  Add in those signings he's made recently and Radulov walking

I cannot see a GM not named Sakic on a tighter leash honestly.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Subban and his slightly larger cap hit and his 4 years younger traded for Weber until 2026 (wow...)

Allowing all his role players to walk last year

Watching Markov walk for basically nothing

Trading their best D prospect for a kid who has shown he has...issues after watching one of their best D men walk

Beaulieu, Desharnais, Eller, 

Really the only trade he's made that is working out in the last 2 years is Danault.  Add in those signings he's made recently and Radulov walking

I cannot see a GM not named Sakic on a tighter leash honestly.

i agree , galchenyuk  ( + ) for duchesne seems to make sense to everyone but sakic

i do think sutter and baertshi would help them in the right now immensely , adding subban might make the fans feel a little better about last summers trade

and i think they need a quick young d or two in their line up

There are possible trades to be made if there was the will on our part.

Sutter+Baertschi

For Galchenyuk+pick+prospect

Buy low on a guy with a high ceiling.  It would be interesting to see him on a line with Horvat and Boeser as he has the playmaking ability Horvat lacks.

On 2017-10-24 at 1:03 PM, Provost said:

There are possible trades to be made if there was the will on our part.

Sutter+Baertschi

For Galchenyuk+pick+prospect

Buy low on a guy with a high ceiling.  It would be interesting to see him on a line with Horvat and Boeser as he has the playmaking ability Horvat lacks.

I too want want to see Galchenyuk with Horvat and Boeser. That said, I would like to keep Sutter for the foreseeable future as he carries a lot of the defensive workload (along with Dorsett and Granlund).

MTL: Baertschi + Brisebois

VAN: Galchenyuk

Heard on 650 radio this morning the Chucky was (maybe?) in the League's substance abuse program over this last summer.  Apparently Bergivan is not allowed to talk about any of that matter unless the player says so, or something like that.  Has anyone (here) heard any of this?   

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Heard on 650 radio this morning the Chucky was (maybe?) in the League's substance abuse program over this last summer.  Apparently Bergivan is not allowed to talk about any of that matter unless the player says so, or something like that.  Has anyone (here) heard any of this?   

Google has... http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/montreal-canadiens-alex-galchenyuk-rehab-detox-mario-tremblay-allegations-rumor/9a7cbof1plrv1ojxs4utmumue

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I guess that's the main reason why other teams are staying clear of Chucky right now.  Should we still be interested and willing to give up assets for him?

Archived