The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Harvey Weinstein Scandal Leads to Me Too Movement

DonLever

From  NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/us/harvey-weinstein-harassment-allegations.html

An investigation by The New York Times found previously undisclosed allegations against Mr. Weinstein stretching over nearly three decades, documented through interviews with current and former employees and film industry workers, as well as legal records, emails and internal documents from the businesses he has run, Miramax and the Weinstein Company.

During that time, after being confronted with allegations including sexual harassment and unwanted physical contact, Mr. Weinstein has reached at least eight settlements with women, according to two company officials speaking on the condition of anonymity. Among the recipients, The Times found, were a young assistant in New York in 1990, an actress in 1997, an assistant in London in 1998, an Italian model in 2015 and Ms. O’Connor shortly after, according to records and those familiar with the agreements.

In a statement to The Times on Thursday afternoon, Mr. Weinstein said: “I appreciate the way I’ve behaved with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain, and I sincerely apologize for it. Though I’m trying to do better, I know I have a long way to go.”

He added that he was working with therapists and planning to take a leave of absence to “deal with this issue head on.”

Two decades ago, the Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein invited Ashley Judd to the Peninsula Beverly Hills hotel for what the young actress expected to be a business breakfast meeting. Instead, he had her sent up to his room, where he appeared in a bathrobe and asked if he could give her a massage or she could watch him shower, she recalled in an interview.

“How do I get out of the room as fast as possible without alienating Harvey Weinstein?” Ms. Judd said she remembers thinking.

In 2014, Mr. Weinstein invited Emily Nestor, who had worked just one day as a temporary employee, to the same hotel and made another offer: If she accepted his sexual advances, he would boost her career, according to accounts she provided to colleagues who sent them to Weinstein Company executives. The following year, once again at the Peninsula, a female assistant said Mr. Weinstein badgered her into giving him a massage while he was naked, leaving her “crying and very distraught,” wrote a colleague, Lauren O’Connor, in a searing memo asserting sexual harassment and other misconduct by their boss.

“There is a toxic environment for women at this company,” Ms. O’Connor said in the letter, addressed to several executives at the company run by Mr. Weinstein.

22 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

The bigger story is how powerful people covered up for him, like Bill Cosby (who I really liked for a long time) people knew and did nothing. This is just the tip of the iceberg there, Hollywood is an unbelievably evil place.

Politics hollywood professional sports the living world is an evil place. 

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Unreal...a guy can be accused by multiple women without much in the way of evidence and his career is rightfully over.

Another can be accused by almost 2 dozen women.  And he becomes president.

'Murica

How Bill Clinton keeps getting away with it is pretty amazing..........

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Prove the rape.

There's as much evidence on him as there is Trump and less than there was on Billy Clinton.

Considering the number of "powerful" Hollywood women coming forward, it's only a matter of time before this guy is charged, tried, convicted, and locked up.  The other men you mention have nothing to do with this case.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Considering the number of "powerful" Hollywood women coming forward, it's only a matter of time before this guy is charged, tried, convicted, and locked up.  The other men you mention have nothing to do with this case.

Why is powerful in quotes? What do you mean?

22 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Unreal...a guy can be accused by multiple women without much in the way of evidence and his career is rightfully over.

Another can be accused by almost 2 dozen women.  And he becomes president.

'Murica

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Prove the rape.

There's as much evidence on him as there is Trump and less than there was on Billy Clinton.

:lol: more Trump in yet another thread. Thanks warhippy.

20 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Prove the rape.

This isn't about Trump but about Hollywood and media elites. I don't think Trump was an angel when he was younger but I don't believe much about what gets reported on him. It's amazing how so may close to the Clinton's turn out to be paedophiles and abusers. That's just the ones convicted. 

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Actually.  With the same amount/quality or less evidence in regards to the three metnioned individuals.  I would say it is very important.

As well, a persons "standing" in Hollywood and social circles should have NOTHING to do witht he amount of weight of believability they might have in regards to a sexual assault or harassment claim.  Give your furry head a shake

12 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

:lol: more Trump in yet another thread. Thanks warhippy.

So, you don't think it's important?

Do you believe Weinstein is guilty Strome?  Yes or no.  Don't skate around with your usual BS or hang on to someone else's comment.

Yes or no.

Because it's quite important.  As someone who has been accused more than Weinstein with a shade more evidence is now the president but those cases are "fake news" but Weinstein is accused and based on the status of the accusers is somehow more believable.

This is a very important distinction.  How do decade(s) go by with no mention of this until now by these people?  If Weinstein is to be held accountable why only him and not Trump?  Clinton?  The other elite and or powerful individuals in charge of various companies or government institutions who might also be guilty or accused of these crimes.

Do you think he's guilty Strome?  

14 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

This isn't about Trump but about Hollywood and media elites. I don't think Trump was an angel when he was younger but I don't believe much about what gets reported on him. It's amazing how so may close to the Clinton's turn out to be paedophiles and abusers. That's just the ones convicted. 

Maybe you might wanna check out Donny's connection to Jeffrey Epstein before commenting.

Just now, gerry35 said:

After one lie after another from the media about him I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. If it's true I'll turn against him.

So how about that Weinstein? Funny how things deflect from the thread at hand to him so quickly.

Nobody's 'deflecting' anything. A comparison was made. You're the one making an issue out of it.

Archived