The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fans at Rogers

spook007

What would make you more likely to attend games  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't start threads in general, as I think most of you are far better at it than me and cover the issues/subjects I seem to be thinking about anyway.

However, I haven't found anything about the amount of fans at Rogers Arena the last couple of games.

I do find it concerning, that the interest is so low.

I know ticket prices are high, and expectations are low, but I am very surprised at the lack of fans in the stands.

Obviously its not just on TV it looks meager, as fans attending has also been voicing it.

I saw the official attendance to be approx 15500, however on TV it did look far less...

Now my question is, Why is there so little fans attending?

I know prices are high, but the arena was sold out for god knows how long, so the must have been some interest.

The fact we have 4 home game stretch doesn't help neither...

Is it either the fans don't have the stomach to watch the future player being integrated,

Don't want to see the same old, same old,

or is it the fans just are unhappy with the product on the ice....

I find it amazing, that fans so easily drop their team, although I do understand if they don't like what they are seeing they vote with their feet.

What can the club do to get the fans back.

unless the team's winning again and putting a on 2011-style explosive hockey, interest is going to remain low. all the team can do is start winning, because right now, it's "not cool" to be a canucks fan anymore, because the team isn't good. we can't talk about anything to be "proud" of this team, because not all of those fans in the stands, sit around and play make belief general manager all day, and stress out on how to make this team better and invest their time looking into advanced stats, something we really have no business knowing, if you want my honest opinion. i'm not an armchair person, and never will be. i leave it to the professionals to build this team, and i watch the vancouver canucks like i would any other tv show, and if i'm not entertained, i'm going to change the channel or do something else

does that make me a bandwagonner? "oh, so when you see a game's good, you'll tune in?" yea, because watching a 2 1/2 hour show is a lot to ask of someone, especially from what we saw last season. everyone has their breaking point, so if i'm watching a game, and i'm seeing the same old thing from last year, i'm changing the channel. if i'm going to see a game live, like when the jets are in town, i know the game will be entertaining from the jets fans alone, who clearly make more noise, then canucks fans themselves, an in my section, some jets fans almost got ejected because they were "too loud"

i'm just so done with this lame, library zone that is rogers arena, where visiting fans can't come in and chirp these uber sensitive canucks fans, when this team deserves it

ticket prices i think have bottomed out, but not everyone wants to invest their time into a rebuilding team, even if you can find tickets for 40~ bucks

One thing for sure that will fill the arena again is this..

hqdefault.jpg

Maybe those empty seats are not going to invest in a losing market for what the prices of the tickets are or the product on the ice. So to them   the team will have to get back to winning like 2011 style hockey. Maybe those empty seats would rather see young players play rather than guys like Vanek, 6 million dollar man, and Gagner. What might help is if there were loud cheering sections throughout the arena, along with lower beer and food prices.

Love the thread, +1. We used to go to 15 games per year, but it honestly came down to a few things: 

- I actually enjoy watching the games on TV better. 

- The prices of tickets are getting pretty ridiculous.. plus beer and food at the game just isn't a reasonable investment when you can watch it at home with the boys 

- Personally, I enjoy going to road games better because you get to see a new arena/city, meet fans from other teams, and the whole experience is just awesome. 

If the Canucks were Presidents trophy winners and cup favourites, that wouldn't change anything for me. 

Cheers@Twilight Sparkle. No it doesn't make you bandwagon fan at all. And I am 100% with you, that the people in charge know far more than any of us does, so I'll support whatever decision they make regarding the team.

Its your money and you know, how you feel, and when you wanna part with your money.

The thing is there has been a lot of discussions regarding Youth v Total youth movement v Getting stars at the end of their careers to come here.

I am just wondering, what would be the next step for the Owners. 

I feel for the players as well. I know that they are well paid, but I do believe that they feed of the fans just like the fans feed of them. So to see all these empty seat must be demoralizing...

I've never been a tanker myself, and I just wanna watch hockey (hopefully good hockey), and I envy the people, who can go and watch the team play regularly. 

But there comes a time, when management has to do something to increase revenues... weather we like it or not.

44 minutes ago, Hectic said:

Love the thread, +1. We used to go to 15 games per year, but it honestly came down to a few things: 

- I actually enjoy watching the games on TV better. 

- The prices of tickets are getting pretty ridiculous.. plus beer and food at the game just isn't a reasonable investment when you can watch it at home with the boys 

- Personally, I enjoy going to road games better because you get to see a new arena/city, meet fans from other teams, and the whole experience is just awesome. 

If the Canucks were Presidents trophy winners and cup favourites, that wouldn't change anything for me. 

Cheers @Hectic

Like the way you see it. 

I love live sport (football (soccer) and Hockey in particular. I love watching it on TV, but they joy of being at the games will always be special to me. 

Ticket prices. That is surely something the club will have to look into. I don't follow the ticket packages for the Canucks, but would hope they would get some deals going for families in particular. Kids are the most important part of any club as they are the future... Not people like me, as I'm the past.

Road games... Yes road games are cool, but as quite the cost. Do like to mingle with other fans though....

Like your last line though...a true fan. +1

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

hqdefault.jpg

Few other reasons I think those empty seats are not going to invest in a losing market for what the prices of the tickets are or the product on the ice. So therefore the team will have to get back to winning like 2011 style hockey. Perhaps those empty seats would rather see young players play rather than guys like Vanek, 6 million dollar man, and Gagner. Also what might help is if there was loud cheering sections throughout the arena. But that's all I can think of at the moment as to why there are so many empty seats.

Yeah I'm sure it will bud.

Also the cheering section. Not quite sure how it is in other arenas but it sure does lift the atmosphere if people get going with some singing. 

Nothing better than some variations to the Go Canucks Go... Shouldn't be hard, and could even be slightly controlled with lyrics displayed on the jumbotron.

For me it's strictly the atmosphere or lack thereof.  To put it simply it doesn't feel like you are at a sporting event were you can be loud and enjoy yourself.  It feels like you are going to a high school debate at the local library.  People(staff and the suits) frown at you for being boisterous, they expect you to sit still and shut up.  I never had as beer in my life nor do I drink when I go to a game so it's not like I am some oblivious drunk cursing up a storm in front of kids. 

I understand the need to keep the drunks and rowdies in check, I went to a Lions game in the 80's and was scared to death because of all the fights in the stands and never wanted to return again.  But this is overkill, and quite frankly they(the owners) deserve what they're getting for not addressing the issue earlier.  For me it's not about the product on the ice, it's not about the price(though lower prices is always nice), it's solely based on the fact that Rogers Arena has to be the worst place in the NHL to watch a game and to show support for your team.  And now the rest of Canada and the NHL looks at our pathetic half empty building and are now asking "WTF is going on in Vancouver?"

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Also the cheering section. Not quite sure how it is in other arenas but it sure does lift the atmosphere if people get going with some singing. 

It does help, and you can hear the Larscheiders(sp?) in the first game.  But when the southsiders went a couple of years ago a lot of fans in the building complained they were being too loud.  And that's the problem, the Larscheiders are only doing 8 games this year.

3 hours ago, Hectic said:

I feel the same way, it's a pretty pathetic atmosphere in the playoffs compared to any other playoff arena too.  Remember how much of a morgue it was for game 7 of the SCF? 

The Canucks supporter section was there for the Ottawa game and it made a difference but sadly there were even large sections of the upper bowl empty last night which I haven't seen before.  Ticket prices in the lower bowl were lowered quite a bit last year but the club seats especially are still way too expensive.  Looking at all of the markers left on the empty seats indicating they are available for season ticket purchase was sad.  I'm very happy with the way the Canucks are playing after 3 games.  They're skating, generating chances and not sitting back and trapping like the last few years.  I don't expect them to win the cup this year but the games have been very entertaining.

I have a theory as to why the attendance at Rogers is low, other than high ticket prices and over-priced beer.

The team, overall, isn't fun to watch. They're boring. They have a hell of a hard time scoring 3 goals in a game. Live at Rogers Arena is a dull experience.

I personally dont blame anyone for not even wanting to pay 40 dollars to watch this product on the ice. We've already seen this s**tshow for the last couple of years now. Low scoring, average defending, spotty goaltending, frustrating coaching, Sedin overdose on the powerplay, and washed up/overpaid vets taking ice time from homegrown prospects. And somehow this team is up against the cap?

People aren't all stupid, they can see what's going on and they can see what this team is about. This team as it is today was designed to compete for a playoff spot, nothing more, nothing less. They're not a cup contender (despite the payroll) and they're not really rebuilding in the truest sense. Eriksson, Vanek, and Gagner to name a few are proof of that. They're here to bolster this sad sack into a wildcard. So what do you get? A boring team which is seemingly just spinning it's wheels. I'll watch on TV too.

8 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

I have a theory as to why the attendance at Rogers is low, other than high ticket prices and over-priced beer.

The team, overall, isn't fun to watch. They're boring. They have a hell of a hard time scoring 3 goals in a game. Live at Rogers Arena is a dull experience.

I personally dont blame anyone for not even wanting to pay 40 dollars to watch this product on the ice. We've already seen this s**tshow for the last couple of years now. Low scoring, average defending, spotty goaltending, frustrating coaching, Sedin overdose on the powerplay, and washed up/overpaid vets taking ice time from homegrown prospects. And somehow this team is up against the cap?

People aren't all stupid, they can see what's going on and they can see what this team is about. This team as it is today was designed to compete for a playoff spot, nothing more, nothing less. They're not a cup contender (despite the payroll) and they're not really rebuilding in the truest sense. Eriksson, Vanek, and Gagner to name a few are proof of that. They're here to bolster this sad sack into a wildcard. So what do you get? A boring team which is seemingly just spinning it's wheels. I'll watch on TV too.

Well said, season tickets holders were misled during sign-up last march with promises from Mgmt of "exciting young players".  So far, we only have 1-1/2 young players barely on to the team.  Where is the rebuild ????????????????

44 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

For me it's strictly the atmosphere or lack thereof.  To put it simply it doesn't feel like you are at a sporting event were you can be loud and enjoy yourself.  It feels like you are going to a high school debate at the local library.  People(staff and the suits) frown at you for being boisterous, they expect you to sit still and shut up.  I never had as beer in my life nor do I drink when I go to a game so it's not like I am some oblivious drunk cursing up a storm in front of kids. 

It does help, and you can hear the Larscheiders(sp?) in the first game.  But when the southsiders went a couple of years ago a lot of fans in the building complained they were being too loud.  And that's the problem, the Larscheiders are only doing 8 games this year.

I think this is a big part of it. When my wife and I go we're often the only ones close to us decked out and cheer. Well I'm using yelling things like "why are both Sedin's on the ice?" during 3 on 3 OT but you get the point. But I am starting to notice some new life in the building , there seems to be some turnover from the "suits" as people like to say. 

But... with the Larscheider's I can tell that people do like it - they start something and more than a few times it caught on. 

I don't really get the impression of anyone being frowned on anymore, mostly because it doesn't really get that rowdy anymore. 

The best thing CDC'rs can do is email the Canucks telling them you'd come to games if they made an official loud cheering section. 

39 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I understand the need to keep the drunks and rowdies in check, I went to a Lions game in the 80's and was scared to death because of all the fights in the stands and never wanted to return again.  But this is overkill, and quite frankly they(the owners) deserve what they're getting for not addressing the issue earlier.  For me it's not about the product on the ice, it's not about the price(though lower prices is always nice), it's solely based on the fact that Rogers Arena has to be the worst place in the NHL to watch a game and to show support for your team.  And now the rest of Canada and the NHL looks at our pathetic half empty building and are now asking "WTF is going on in Vancouver?"

I feel the same way, it's a pretty pathetic atmosphere in the playoffs compared to any other playoff arena too.  Remember how much of a morgue it was for game 7 of the SCF? 

I think you have a point... I love there to be a bit of life as well.

I wonder if it is the expensive seats that has the complaining element to it, as it seems to be the attitude of lots of fans its too quiet. 

You often find people not wanting to start a chant, as they feel singled out, but as soon as somebody start they all join in.

I totally get, what you are saying about the limit, but I've yet to see any negative reactions to the Larscheiders...  

And yes I remember game 7... just opened up an old would that struggles to heal... 

35 minutes ago, thepress83 said:

The Canucks supporter section was there for the Ottawa game and it made a difference but sadly there were even large sections of the upper bowl empty last night which I haven't seen before.  Ticket prices in the lower bowl were lowered quite a bit last year but the club seats especially are still way too expensive.  Looking at all of the markers left on the empty seats indicating they are available for season ticket purchase was sad.  I'm very happy with the way the Canucks are playing after 3 games.  They're skating, generating chances and not sitting back and trapping like the last few years.  I don't expect them to win the cup this year but the games have been very entertaining.

I actually also like what I am seeing. Feel like they are trying to play a more end to end kind of stuff, which would hopefully lead to more goals being scored. Remains to be seen but it will take some time to change systems like this around.

8 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

Fair comment @Riviera82, as there are more than a few saying this.  

If you don't feel entertained, then you'll save your $40 or however much you are paying for your ticket. Its the same in any entertainment business.

As I said to TS earlier, I don't think that makes anyone a fair-weather fan, just somebody who wants something else, and thus votes with their feet.

I think we'll see the torch being passed this season, and that'll be interesting, but if the end product gets better or worse remains to be seen. Either way ownership will always end up listening, if people vote with their feet. 

Time to loosen up the tightwads who police the stands. Let the fans enjoy the game and build an atmosphere worth going to. My brother in law can’t give his season tickets away if his life depended on it. Especially when they threaten to revoke his tickets if him or his guests mis behave. No wonder why Archie Andrews thinks Vancouver is boring. He must have been to a few games in the lower bowl. 

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

I saw the official attendance to be approx 15500, however on TV it did look far less...

I believe most time they just announce the attendance in tickets sold, not how many actually scan their tickets and enter the building. I may be wrong too.

33 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I believe most time they just announce the attendance in tickets sold, not how many actually scan their tickets and enter the building. I may be wrong too.

I believe you are correct.

For me, the problem is the cost.  I live in Victoria.  So if I am going to go just for a game I am looking at the cost of the ferry and a hotel on top of the game tickets.  That easily adds $400 to the cost.  For the same $400 I could get two tickets to 8 Royals games and sit in the club seats.

The one game I could maybe go for would be vs Columbus at the end of March.  The game is at 1:00.  I would still have to spring for the ferry but at least I avoid the hotel cost.

But instead I'll just stick with the Royals and catch the Canucks on TV.

5 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

hqdefault.jpg

Maybe those empty seats are not going to invest in a losing market for what the prices of the tickets are or the product on the ice. So to them   the team will have to get back to winning like 2011 style hockey. Maybe those empty seats would rather see young players play rather than guys like Vanek, 6 million dollar man, and Gagner. What might help is if there were loud cheering sections throughout the arena, along with lower beer and food prices.

I wish we had something like the Southsiders section at Whitecaps game.

Also, is that screenshot from NHL 2002? lol 

4 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I believe you are correct.

For me, the problem is the cost.  I live in Victoria.  So if I am going to go just for a game I am looking at the cost of the ferry and a hotel on top of the game tickets.  That easily adds $400 to the cost.  For the same $400 I could get two tickets to 8 Royals games and sit in the club seats.

The one game I could maybe go for would be vs Columbus at the end of March.  The game is at 1:00.  I would still have to spring for the ferry but at least I avoid the hotel cost.

But instead I'll just stick with the Royals and catch the Canucks on TV.

When I used to live in the Vancouver area I would go to about 2-3 games a season and mostly because the tickets were usually free or deeply discounted. It was the only way I could justify the cost of the liquor the old lady was going to consume while not paying attention to the game at all.

What confuses me is back in 2009, the team had an 8 game losing streak (as most of you know) and Burrows scored the famous goal to snap that streak, yet there were lots of fans there. Was It a special night of some sort or just a regular game..

Now my question is, Why is there so little fans attending?

Because our management and ownership have spent the last 5+ years doing unbelievably stupid things that have made our team completely irrelevant (with almost no hope of turning it around in any less than several more years).  When your team is terrible or irrelevant for the better part of a decade, people stop spending large amounts of money to see your product.  Especially when it's free on tv.

Aquilini deserves most of the blame here.  And, the funny part...  THIS (empty stands, what we have right now) is what he was so terrified of - he ruined our team for a decade and he didn't even prevent what he was trying to prevent.  He actually elongated it.  Badly.

I hope he loses a fortune over this.

Archived