The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] can Loui be traded?

JM_

I've been one of Loui's biggest supporters (backed up with stat's even) but if we're not going to use him as intended - as a top 6, skilled 2-way player that cleans up in front of the net - then we have to find a way to move him. He is not a bottom 6 player and will continue to stagnate in that role. 

So.... what are the options moving forward?

We could retain salary. We could take another problem player in return. Is there a fit anywhere in the league?

And please don't make this Loui-hate thread, this is about options going forward.   

Like you said, we will need to retain salary in order to make him an attractive asset on the market. I don't think there is much discussion right now among GMs, as they are more focused on their own teams, seeing their acquisitions and how they are doing. Down the road, we could see a better chance maybe early into next year when injuries start piling up and we get a better idea which teams are likely making the playoffs. If Eriksson can have a solid first half, then I'm sure there would be some interest, taking into account his contract length as well.

Salary retention is not an option, as we are still retaining salary on the Luongo and Hansen contracts. Each team can only have two such retention's on their cap hit. Basically we're stuck with Eriksson for this season barring a trade where there is no retention (highly unlikely). Eriksson is a notoriously slow starter, but imo he needs to be playing on the T6.

I'd like to see these lines:

Eriksson - Horvat - Boeser
Sedin - Sedin - Granlund
Baertschi - Sutter - Vanek
Virtanen - Gagner/Burmistrov - Dorsett

Baertschi tries very well, but he's simply not a top line LW. Neither is Horvat but Horvat is closer to being a top line player than Baertschi is. IMO Boeser simply cannot come out of the lineup, he provides an element of skill and finish we just do not have in the lineup.

That said, with respect to an Eriksson trade, if Benning does somehow pull off a Christmas miracle, I would expect that we could maybe make a deal with Buffalo centering around Kane and a sign & trade. Eriksson + Goldobin for Kane (assuming were able to agree to terms on an extension before hand).

1 minute ago, VanGnome said:

Salary retention is not an option, as we are still retaining salary on the Luongo and Hansen contracts. Each team can only have two such retention's on their cap hit. Basically we're stuck with Eriksson for this season barring a trade where there is no retention (highly unlikely).

All teams are limited to a maximum of 3 retained salary contracts per season.

Retaining salary will mean that two of our retention slots will be taken up for the long haul. That doesn't seem worth it when we could probably get more back while retaining salary and selling off rentals.

There are very few contracts that are looking like more of an albatross than Eriksson. We will have to take someone like Dustin Brown in return, someone with a near identical contract length and cap hit. That just doesn't seem worth it to me. 

2 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Salary retention is not an option, as we are still retaining salary on the Luongo and Hansen contracts. Each team can only have two such retention's on their cap hit. Basically we're stuck with Eriksson for this season barring a trade where there is no retention (highly unlikely). Eriksson is a notoriously slow starter, but imo he needs to be playing on the T6.

I'd like to see these lines:

Eriksson - Horvat - Boeser
Sedin - Sedin - Granlund
Baertschi - Sutter - Vanek
Virtanen - Gagner/Burmistrov - Dorsett

Baertschi tries very well, but he's simply not a top line LW. Neither is Horvat but Horvat is closer to being a top line player than Baertschi is. IMO Boeser simply cannot come out of the lineup, he provides an element of skill and finish we just do not have in the lineup.

That said, with respect to an Eriksson trade, if Benning does somehow pull off a Christmas miracle, I would expect that we could maybe make a deal with Buffalo centering around Kane and a sign & trade. Eriksson + Goldobin for Kane (assuming were able to agree to terms on an extension before hand).

Actually you can retain on three contracts but we need retention slots when selling off assets at the deadline and having only one retention slot for the next 5 years makes it that much more difficult to find trading partners.

Salary retention is not an option, as we are still retaining salary on the Luongo and Hansen contracts. Each team can only have two such retention's on their cap hit.

I might be mistaking, but i'm pretty sure it's 3 contract per team.

Christmas miracle, I like that.

Dear santa please,

Hutton + Baertschi + Eriksson (retain 30%) for Kane + Reinhart

3 minutes ago, Toews said:

Actually you can retain on three contracts but we need retention slots when selling off assets at the deadline and having only one retention slot for the next 5 years makes it that much more difficult to find trading partners.

Makes the Hansen trade look pretty sketchy at this point (ie., having to retain salary on a contract that was ALREADY a good contract).

Value is low due to contract; player has a NMC for another year, then a full no trade clause for 2 more years, then I believe a modified no trade clause for the last 2 years.  All of those things significantly bring down his value and basically make him untradable unless you are willing retain salary and give him away for free, or buy him out.

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Makes the Hansen trade look pretty sketchy at this point (ie., having to retain salary on a contract that was ALREADY a good contract).

I did not quite understand that either. They must have been quite high on Goldobin to pull the trigger on that.

"Fergettaboutit!" applies in this case, JM. Say this for a number of reasons...

- If he wasn't here at all, we'd still have a lousy roster, likely 2 or 3 yrs(at best) from contending. Let's face it, we've got to wait on the EP, Lind, OJ, Gaud & Gad age group, hoping they'll mesh well with 6~8 good, young pieces we've already got.

- Volunteered to FA with a team trending downwards. I say the team should show this exp'd, well-regarded vet respect(benefit of the doubt), & extra time to work out of his doldrums

- With all the cap opening soon, we should bear this mistake-burden, accept it as a cautionary against FA short-cuts. Our current scenario is a reflection of 2007~2012 draft incompetency. Hard to stickhandle around that black hole.

******************** What would REALLY bug me?! ***********************

IF we currently had a roster that could contend, like Ottawa. Karlsson expiring next summer, & he's gonna break the bank.

Then you realize you've got TWO albatrosses(Phaneuf & Ryan)..so how do you make it work? You can't just eject-button bodies claiming they've got some nasty skin-contagion, as if you're a favoured, key US market in this grand rigged deck of a league.

So for every clever GM move a team/manager pulls off(& Dorion's had a few), you turn around & make some other silly gaffe.

So, in short..ride it out for a bit. Stay clear of FA's(in general) for 2 or 3 more summers perhaps. Unless something irresistable is offered.(like a 2010 Hamhuis wants to play in home province)

Play LE with Bo, Hank or Sutter. Try to keep him with familiar linemates for lengthy spells(durations of wks, not merely days). Be patient.

7 minutes ago, mpt said:

Value is low due to contract; player has a NMC for another year, then a full no trade clause for 2 more years, then I believe a modified no trade clause for the last 2 years.  All of those things significantly bring down his value and basically make him untradable unless you are willing retain salary and give him away for free, or buy him out.

I didn't include buyout as an option as its essentially a buyout proof contract too. Retaining 1/2 his salary is a much preferable option:

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/loui-eriksson

Sadly, the longer Eriksson keeps being 'meh' his contract looks more and more 'untradeable'.   If he was producing at a 'reasonable' pace I'm sure there would be some tire-kickers in on some phone calls at least - as it stands now he's essentially invisible on the stat sheet night in/night out (at least for the important stats that he's supposed to be producing anyway).   The NMC is just icing on he cake in this situation.....

Archived