The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whatcha listening to, Punk?!

Rate this topic

luckylager

Back in like 2003 or so me a the group of usuals saw Street Dogs and Flogging Molly at The Commodore. That was a wild show, in part because as we finished the last of our pre-game 6 pack we decided to eat 2 or 3 grams of mushrooms before heading out the door. 

I was a little familiar with the Street Dogs music, and I didn't even really like it that much, but their live show that night was bonkers. They amped up the speed of their tracks more than I figured they would, and I was like "who in the F are these guys?", which was constantly followed up with "whose hands are these?" while I stared at my hands. That was the first, and only, time I participated in a circle pit prior to a Celtic punk show. When Flogging Molly took the stage everyone high fived, licked their wounds, beer'd up, and commenced with the Irish hee-haw. That night was an absolute blast, but like many shows of that time frame, it's a little foggy.

• Upvote 2

For me it started with Offspring.  They hit it big in 94 with Smash but I bought Ignition and their Self titled album and fell in love.  From then on I bought albums from bands on the same label, Epitaph:

The Offspring - Self Titled, Ignition, Smash, and Ixnay on the Hombre

NoFX - Ribbed, S&M, White Trash, So Long...

Pennywise - Self Titled, Full Circle

Social Distortion - White Light..., Heaven and Hell

Then I bought albums from Dexter Holland's label Nitro and Fat Mike's Fat Wreck Chords:

The Vandals

Good Riddance

Strung Out

Screw 32

On top of all that the best part of Punk was the $4 compilation CD's, I bought a ton like Honest Don's Welcome Wagon

Chixdggit

Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies

Gob

Sector Seven

After all that I had my fair share of punk music, the last band was At the Drive-In who I consider punk, and the two bands that spawned from ATD-I, Mars Volta and Sparta.

• Upvote 1