The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, TotesMagotes said:

Possibly the worst game I've ever seen.

Felt like it.  Made worse by having put right out there a lot of what everyone told us would make things better: better coach, Boeser's arrival, more UFAs to help with creating a winning atmosphere, Markstrom getting his chance, Bo, Baer, Granlund a year older...  ugggggh.

This team is a heap

of garbage - playing with no purpose. Watching molasses in Vanek and the Sedins. 4 garbage years with management - flubbed picks with OJ and Virtanen makes a huge difference. 

Where was Horvat all game? One trick pony but cannot lead the play. Boeser with your best shot and they take him off the brutal PP? Why did we rehire Brown again? How does a goalie as big as Markstrom let so many goals through him? Bad Gillis trade for Luongo. Never will be a top tier goalie. 

Bottom line - we are in for another bad year and lose the draft lottery. We are the mid 2000‘s flames - heading nowhere but mediocrity.

Benning and co will have to be fired midseason if this product continues. 

2 minutes ago, tas said:

at this point I would trade either granlund or baertschi for athanasiou.

the canucks desperately need some fast, straight line players. bo (sometimes) and jake (in limited ice time) is not enough speed. 

Yeah. Trade the the youth while the overage players make the team a laughing stock. 

I think at this point, Green probably realizes that he doesn't have many horses to compete against the rest of the NHL. The sad thing is that he doesn't even have enough defensive players to play a shutdown game. So, if I were Green, I would focus my efforts this season to establishing chemistry and lines that I can use into the next seasons. 

First, play the youth. There are 4 players on this team that are under 25 and are top 6 caliber: Horvat, Granlund, Baertschi, Boeser. And Virtanen is on the borderline. He is not a top 6 yet, but he could be and that's the decision that Green has to make, whether or not to groom Virtanen into a top 6 player or as a bottom 6 player.  I would personally try to groom Virtanen as a top 6 player and if that is the decision that is made, then the next decision is either to play him like a top 6 here or in the AHL. Among the older players (not counting the Sedins), only Eriksson is being paid as a top 6 player and he is here for the next 5 years. So if I were Green, I would do my best to form lines out of these 5 + Virtanen (depending on what he decided to do with Virtanen).

It goes without saying that the two centre pieces on this team are Horvat and Boeser. I think we need to build two lines around them. Before, I thought Horvat-Boeser would be a good idea but it became clear to me that they wouldn't work so well. The reason is because Boeser is good at finding a shooting position, and yet, Horvat will drive the net 9/10 times he has the puck on his stick. Horvat needs a player who can finish around the net, the "garbage collector", or a player that can drive the net with him so that Horvat can finish the garbage around the net. On the contrary, Boeser needs players that can make plays and get the puck to him when he is in a shooting position for a snipe.

Horvat:

Horvat is an offensively minded player but he is a north-south player without good ability to play the cycle game or the half court offence. The best way to make use of him is to surround him with another north-south player and a player that knows how to finish around the net. Now, Virtanen is yet another north-south player and Eriksson is a player who has shown in the past that he knows how to finish around the net.

2A: Virtanen-Horvat-Eriksson.

Boeser:

Among the young players, only Baertschi and Gralund can be qualified as playmakers. I would pair them together, and put Boeser, player that knows how to snipe in the slot, a player who can benefit from playmaking of Baertschi and Granlund on their wing. 

2B: Baertschi-Granlund-Boeser.

Of course, we don't have a first line so I labelled these two lines as 2A and 2B. Neither of these lines measure up well against the other team's best lines so they will get scored on quite a lot, but that's not the point. The point is to allow them to grow into their roles by playing them in the roles that you want them to be in. 

The rest:

The remaining players are Daniel, Henrik, Vanek, Gagner, Burmistrov, Sutter, and Dorsett. The best way to make use of these players is as providing some sort of shelter or buffer for the 2A and 2B lines. It is clear that Sedins can still hold their own. It is also clear that Sutter and Dorsett can be useful for match up purposes. That leaves Vanek, Gagner, Burmistrov. Personally, I think Burmistrov is an intelligent player and can be useful in a checking role alongside Sutter and Dorsett. And that means I would play only one of Vanek or Gagner at a time.

3A: Sedin-Sedin-Vanek/Gagner

3B: Burmistrov-Sutter-Dorsett

Now, if the decision is to groom Virtanen in a top 6 role in the AHL, then Gagner would slot in beside Horvat-Eriksson. 

The focus has to be on the future. This team does not have what it takes on defence for one, to compete for the playoffs, let alone up front. I was very wrong in my initial assessment based on preseason play.

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Can you imagine if Wally Buono ran this team?

Wally is viscous, he'd put Daniel and Henrik on waivers.

He'd pick up Markstrom and dump him in one of those big trash containers outside the arena and slam the lid. Then sleep like a baby.

That's one thing I've always respected about Wally ... he isn't sentimental; he plans for the future. There's always a future that needs serious tending to. 

21 minutes ago, mll said:

He said he wasn't crazy about Horvat's game and found him average.

I like green but I won't believe he is the coach we need until he calls out the sedins and vets.  The twins were a steaming pile tonight and it's Bo he mentions? Easy to pick on the kids but a fair coach will call out our veteran group. 

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not anymore. The Sedins are talent neutral. Keeping them versus replacing them makes zero difference. I'd rather have a couple of hard-nosed veterans who stand up for more than just their bloodline. 

They were horrible on the powerplay. If you can't see that, I can't help you. 

The Sedins are done. They are slow, indecisive, and ineffective. I'd rather have workman lines putting in the effort and driving hard to the net than the delusion that two 37 year old players can recapture former glory. 

Off the powerplay entirely. 

I'm not going to defend the power play - it's stunk for awhile.  Both with and without the Sedins - I blame lack of a PPQB but the Twins obviously aren't making it work.

Tonight they stunk (as did the whole team) - but (with O-zone starts) they're controlling the puck, getting shots and putting up points.  

The biggest tell for me?  Last year teams still matched up their best defencemen against them.  That's nothing to do with nice guy Benning or soft rookie Vancouver coaches.  

Sorry, last year we had workman lines with Drew Shore, Jack Skille and Joe Crammarossa (edit: plus everyone's favourite workmen Megna and Chaput) and it was hot garbage.  I don't believe anyone wants to watch that for 82 over the Twins, diminished as they are.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, what else is there in life, if you can't laugh, my friend?

black humour though

sometimes a laugh can mask inner pain and disappointment

i'll leave things till game 10

but the shine on this team appears to have lasted 1 game

and some serious ugliness is creeping in now

last season the team was bad . but it did start out 4 - 0

give me that fantasy start over this nonsense

46 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Make all the snide comments you like, but the score would have been a lot different had he been 60 minutes healthy.  Tell me, in 3 games and one shift,  has Louie been on the ice for a goal against?

No because he comes out onto the ice, does a hot lap and is back on the bench before he can even break a sweat. The dudes hair stays desert dry all game long, the guy is a floater.

Hopefully he's out 4-6 as well. At least Jake will get back in, might actually get some more minutes.

Starting to get annoyed with Gagner. 3 years? FU Benning.

Archived