The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I'm not going to defend the power play - it's stunk for awhile.  Both with and without the Sedins - I blame lack of a PPQB but the Twins obviously aren't making it work.

Tonight they stunk (as did the whole team) - but (with O-zone starts) they're controlling the puck, getting shots and putting up points.  

The biggest tell for me?  Last year teams still matched up their best defencemen against them.  That's nothing to do with nice guy Benning or soft rookie Vancouver coaches.  

Sorry, last year we had workman lines with Drew Shore, Jack Skille and Joe Crammarossa (edit: plus everyone's favourite workmen Megna and Chaput) and it was hot garbage.  I don't believe anyone wants to watch that for 82 over the Twins, diminished as they are.

They just aren't good enough anymore. Time has taken it's toll, that and years of being pummeled and not sticking up for themselves. 

At this point, their absence wouldn't be noticed. This team is rebuilding. Giving as much PP and 5 on 5 time to ineffective, slow veterans is a huge waste of time and cap space. 

31 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

TSN 1040 - Coach Green commented on Baertschi saying he is close to scoring, and he is showing some confidence.  

I couldn't disagree more.  Sven has been an absolute hot mess

I havent liked Baertschi's game much either.....but then again...He is a slow starter,and is a streaky scorer,usually scoring in bunches...If he stays healthy,he will start popping a few in.

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly Fig! The Sedins time is up. They are, at the present, a drag on the team, versus a propulsionary factor. 

They were great. They did amaze and entertain, but that was then, and that was a long time ago. They are players on the downslope of their careers. Two future hall of famers heading into the twilight.

I suspect that if we'd had the luck to draft better in the last 3 years (earlier picks, and better choices) we'd have enough good players that they would have retired with honours at the end of last year.  Only a very, very, bad team has these guys on a second or third line, and leading pps.  With that contrast, they'd have known their time was up.

Remember a few years back when A-Rod got tossed from the Yankees before the season was out?  The manager was quoted as saying, "we are not in the business of supplying anyone with a retirement tour."  This year is shaping up to look a lot like that, but we have two A-Rods.  Notably, the Yankees got younger faster.  Look where they are now.  Serious sports franchises do this.

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

black humour though

sometimes a laugh can mask inner pain and disappointment

i'll leave things till game 10

but the shine on this team appears to have lasted 1 game

and some serious ugliness is creeping in now

last season the team was bad . but it did start out 4 - 0

give me that fantasy start over this nonsense

I agree. It's only game 4. There is very clear optical proof that some players on the team are no longer serving a purpose. 

30 minutes ago, panelguy said:

Hutton to the minors for some passing , puck handling practice.

30 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I wish we could somehow find trade partners for Vanek and Eriksson. split the twins... at their age they shouldn't have their own line, they are slow and predictable when they are together, they are becoming a liability out there. 

27 minutes ago, Incursio said:

It's unreal how bad the Twins are on the PP. The Horvat line didn't do much better tonight, but man...

In an effort to try to sleep better I feel the need to write something down. Here are my main impressions.

1. The game did not do justice to the GDT. Sorry to see the great artwork by @debluvsburrows wasted. (Well, not exactly wasted, because CDC enjoyed it but you get the idea.)

2. The Sedins looked bad. I don't thinking splitting them up is the answer, Together or apart they are slow and lack intensity -- losing puck battles and reacting slowly to the game around them. They have had great careers but at this stage they just are not helping the team much. They will have good days and bad days, but the good days won't be that good and the bad days (like today) will be really bad.

3. I agree that Hutton is really struggling. Sooner or later Holm will be worth a look.

4. On the plus side, it seems pretty obvious that Boeser is the real deal. Even before scoring a really nice goal in the 3rd he looked very good tonight. Burmistrov was good and Pouliot was pretty good.

5. For next game, Virtanen will obviously be in, which is good. And time for Nilsson to play, and time to drastically cut the Sedins PP time. 

6. The other plus is that the prospects are looking great. Pettersson, Lind, Gaudette, Demko, DiPietro, Palmu, and Gadjovich are all looking very good. Holm and Goldy are also looking good. And Dahlen and  Juolevi are about to get going. Assuming Eriksson is hurt is will be interesting to see whether Goldy get called up or Archie gets signed and called up.

2 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

Looks like the Oilers are trying to out tank us. Seriously do they need a better team. 

Now that you mention it, I think I'm going to start cheering for Edmonton the rest of the season. If they have a losing season you already know they're getting the 1st overall pick. If they somehow find themselves in a losing season and they win the lottery yet again and they draft Rasmus Dahlin.....

Markstrom is an emotional goalie that plays on nerves he doesnt have any poise to keep a level head we realistically dont have a #1 goalie on this team 

glad to see bb having that shoot first mentality i think he just secured himself another 5 games out the press box 

NEXT!

I am just tired of the style this team plays - slow, predictable mostly perimeter play. They can't move the puck quickly, even with a 2 man advantage.

The Sedin cycle game doesn't work anymore - they aren't tough enough on the boards any longer and bigger players literally ragdoll them to the ice. 

There is no stud on defense....and Edler has been underperfoming for several years now, to the point where it's easier just to keep him than be embarrassed by trading him away for a bag of pucks. 

The hilarity of how bad this team is shows up when you see that two of the Canucks so-called 'top players' in Eriksson and Edler are injured, and yet, the team probably isn't any worse as a result. 

The 'young guns' in Baertschi and Granlund aren't really that young anymore, and they aren't doing a hell of a lot offensively. Not that it's entirely their fault - every player that gets involved with the Canucks ends up in a black hole void of any offense or passionate play.

FFS, 37 year old Ryan Miller would rather be a backup goaltender on another team for chump change than play in Vancouver again - and you can bet he was offered the job.

Sure, there are a few good players on this team...Horvat and Boeser come to mind...but it won't be long before the losing culture infects their game as well. I don't think this team will turn their performance around any time soon, rather they will be a free two points for any decent team that comes in and puts in an effort.

4 minutes ago, grumpworsley said:

That was a game played by a team who thinks they are going to finish dead last

The team signed Vanek, Gagner and Burmistrov .... three guys who couldn't get a sniff from a competitive team. Those guys know they're not here to win. They've already mentally mailed it in. They did so before training camp even started. 

I kept thinking all game. When is the energy going to hit. Why is Hutton on the power play at all. And if he is going to stay on the power play teach him how to fake a slap shot. Maybe then he could get one through. A complete waste of 3 hours.

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They just aren't good enough anymore. Time has taken it's toll, that and years of being pummeled and not sticking up for themselves. 

At this point, their absence wouldn't be noticed. This team is rebuilding. Giving as much PP and 5 on 5 time to ineffective, slow veterans is a huge waste of time and cap space. 

Another side is that they still soak up a lot of criticism from fans and media - people turning on Hutton in year 3 and I read some digs at Bo tonight in the GDT.  

There's a purpose.  

If Bo and one of Granny/Burmistrov/Gagner can prove they can centre a proper 2nd line I say the Sedins retire.  If they put up 50-ish points and nobody else steps up I think they're back for one more until Petterson arrives.

I would give Markstrom a month to sort out his game and prevent bad goals, too many softies for my taste.  Also, I love Boeser's goal, and his willingness to take a few shots and some shots were sick, one to the head of Smith, and one where Smith had to make his best save of the night.  Wished that he would be able to roof if the tape to tape pass is spot on but he had to receive the pass on the skate then shoot and it's a good one.  He has a great release and it's shame that Green or Brown figure things out how to use him on PP yet.  He can pass, and make smart plays despite his weakness, skating.  He is noticeable than rest of the team.

Sedin, I hate to criticize their play but it's painfully obviously that they are here just to collect checks until they retire.  They were too slow to make things happen.

Hutton needs a shot of confidence and he doesn't have any right now.   I wish his play were made to happen like his preseason play two years ago but I am guessing that Willie D destroyed his confidence.    Maybe a time down in Utica to restore his confidence.  I am liking Pouliot's game and should help this team more on an offensive role especially on PP.  Not sure if Hutton is waiver eligible yet.  

I'm hoping that Boeser would be able to get a better playmaker so I'm thinking, Virtenan, Granlund, Boeser will do it or Vanek, Horvat, Boeser to get things going.  This are two option I've been wanting to see for a while.  I've noticed Granlund's play in a positive ways and pretty good considering how hot garbage this team was tonight.  I'd like to see him promoted.  Horvat is getting greedy with his rushes, trying too much and not using his lines to be an effective player.  Hopefully that he will figure things out for better.   It's possible that Horvat is getting frustrated with Baertschi inability to generate offense.   

3 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

The team signed Vanek, Gagner and Burmistrov .... three guys who couldn't get a sniff from a competitive team. Those guys know they're not here to win. They've already mentally mailed it in. They did so before training camp even started. 

Mercenaries looking to put in their time, get some points here and there and get a paycheck. 'Member when the Canucks would get all the prime free agents that wanted to play there to challenge for a Cup? Seems like centuries ago now..

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"Our puck movement is too slow. We have systems & they aren't working. Shorthanded goals against can't happen. Our PP wasn't good." - Daniel

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

We finally admitted we were rebuilding then we turn around and sign Burm, Gagner and Vanek

meanwhile Goldy helps .... Utica and Jake eats popcorn 

1 hour ago, Fantomex said:

No Daniel, you're not working. You're teetering on the side of useless.

1 hour ago, PCprincipal said:

Hope Virtanen gets in next game along with boeser. Nilson too. Pouliot has elite skating, encouraging debut from him.  

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Been a Sedin fan from day one. At this point in their career they need to transition to a support role on the third line and second unit power play. They are actually being set up for failure the way they are being used right now. 

These posts save me a lot of typing.

Archived