The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

How are Goldobin and Gagner an upgrade over the Sedins ? Those two are just as defensively weak, if not weaker and they scare nobody-not even via reputation....

PS: I gather you wanna trade Baer then ? 

Well they can actually put up points while being sheltered for starts. And Goldobin isn't ready. Yet. This is next year not this year.

Packaged with one of Edler or Hutton at the TDL ideally.

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

The 2nd line gets the Sedin's previous sheltered, ozone/pp muntes/deployment, the Sutter line does the match up and the Horvat and Burmistrov lines are capable in all three zones. 

Not worried.

Agree to disagree. I hope we don't and doubt we see them re-signed. Time will tell.

Well put.  I think the balanced scoring and defensive set up we have now is the best it has been in 3 years.  More scoring would be great, but at least we have some depth.  I don't see any way that the Sedins play here next year.  Even if they worked gratis.  No room: once Gaunce and Virtanen figure out their games, and one of Pettersson or Dahlen get here... to say nothing of Eriksson (on contract) and Goldobin getting back in the mix...  We will not need them.  And there will be no space for them.  To state one other obvious point: they can't be moved around like AHL types can or even some of the kids playing in Europe.  It's the press box on a regular basis, or just not re-signing them.   

Linden will be senstive to this issue: his last year had him sitting out a few games... so he'll know how to lay the cards on the table with the Sedins.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 6:48 AM, JamesBlondage said:

I highly doubt JB TL or TG wanted the Sedins taking 2 minute shifts...it's not 2010 anymore.

Also anyone else surprised all it took was one average game for Horvat and he's off the power play?? 

You're right, I for one, didn't notice Horvat's demotion, tbh.  Which is because of old habits... we accept that Horvat can be a pk guy (a waste of his time, imo) but not a pp guy, in spite of leading the team in scoring last year.  

Habits... we accept that the Sedins are "core"; habits: that Virtanen makes a booboo defensively so we can bench him half of the 3rd period.  

It feels like the ghost of W.D. is haunting us. 

13 minutes ago, gameburn said:

You're right, I for one, didn't notice Horvat's demotion, tbh.  Which is because of old habits... we accept that Horvat can be a pk guy (a waste of his time, imo) but not a pp guy, in spite of leading the team in scoring last year.  

Habits... we accept that the Sedins are "core"; habits: that Virtanen makes a booboo defensively so we can bench him half of the 3rd period.  

It feels like the ghost of W.D. is haunting us. 

Different benchmarks for different folks. Reason Jake deserves to be benched, is because he is a developing player and you MAY see an improvement from him in that regard. Tough love and all. There is nothing to be gained from benching seasoned vets for their flaws - you can't develop them any further (they are seasoned and already developed) and only can be re-deployed in a different formation. Thats it. But you aren't going to see any results for benching the Sedins for being slow...or Kesler for not passing. What the Sedins do deserve a STERN talking to, is taking 2 minute shifts - unless they got the puck on a string in the O-zone. 

31 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Well put.  I think the balanced scoring and defensive set up we have now is the best it has been in 3 years.  More scoring would be great, but at least we have some depth.  I don't see any way that the Sedins play here next year.  Even if they worked gratis.  No room: once Gaunce and Virtanen figure out their games, and one of Pettersson or Dahlen get here... to say nothing of Eriksson (on contract) and Goldobin getting back in the mix...  We will not need them.  And there will be no space for them.  To state one other obvious point: they can't be moved around like AHL types can or even some of the kids playing in Europe.  It's the press box on a regular basis, or just not re-signing them.   

Linden will be senstive to this issue: his last year had him sitting out a few games... so he'll know how to lay the cards on the table with the Sedins.

Not to mention the 14 million we could use on some kind of help next year. Playing the Oilers really showed their weaknesses in that TG would not let the Sedin line anywhere near the McDavid line. Its like he tried to hide them the whole game from that fiasco. Its no coincidence that the two games that we won was when the Sedins played limited minutes.

I don't think they can help in anyway anymore. Obviously no PP help but even ,more importantly, they can't even help out defensively as 3rd or 4th liners. This equals Zero reason to keep them.

Watching Jagr play the other night was just not right. He was once a great player and to watch him push other players with his stick is just embarrassing.

Love these guys but its time.

On 2017-10-16 at 4:03 PM, apollo said:

Goodness gracious... 4 games into the season and already the Sedin bashing has begun. Oh well, I feel it's better they get bashed than Loui. It won't affect the Sedins... they can handle it. Little heat off Loui might not be a bad thing mentally. 

I doubt the Sabre fans are calling for Eichels head... Rangers calling for Lundqvists... Stars for Benn/Seguin, Sharks fans for Pavelski's, or even the Oiler fans for McDavid's head.... all teams with similar record as we have.

IT'S 4 GAMES INTO THE SEASON PEOPLE 

The difference, though, is that unlike the players you mentioned, the Sedins have been in a slow but steady decline for a few years. Yet, they're still considered the focal point of the team. That's not good. 

On 10/17/2017 at 5:06 PM, Baggins said:

The other team can't shoot if they don't have the puck!

No but they are getting a rest because the threat from the Sedin game now is minimal. 

I have also noticed they are starting to have a bad giveaway on nearly every shift, often down to trying to force the puck to each other.

11 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Different benchmarks for different folks. Reason Jake deserves to be benched, is because he is a developing player and you MAY see an improvement from him in that regard. Tough love and all. There is nothing to be gained from benching seasoned vets for their flaws - you can't develop them any further (they are seasoned and already developed) and only can be re-deployed in a different formation. Thats it. But you aren't going to see any results for benching the Sedins for being slow...or Kesler for not passing. What the Sedins do deserve a STERN talking to, is taking 2 minute shifts - unless they got the puck on a string in the O-zone. 

And minor penalties... they seem to take more of them than the new core on the team, even more than the D. 

Archived