The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Are Your Thoughts of What A Rebuild Is?

TheGuardian_

Just now, coolboarder said:

Don't fret, Naslund and Bertuzzi didn't play well when the Canucks were having a few losing seasons, even swept away in the playoffs against Colorado.  It takes time to gain confidence once players start showing their talent together and takes time to undo the Willie's system.   

I really hope. Man, WD was so bad...

Some of you fans are delusional.  

Canucks have scraped the bottom of the barrel for young guys that have a chance to play in the NHL.  

You are all pretending in your head that the Canucks have all these potential NHL players in the minors that can play when in reality they don't.  

If we didn't get Vanek and Burmistrov, we would have a couple of lifetime AHLers playing there.  

You also don't develop young guys through losing 80 games a year.

57 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

The rebuild is done.

....at least close and on paper....

We either do well this year causing the Sedins and Vanek, etc. to stick around one more year and some kids still join us next year (Goldy, Gaudette, Dahlin and Pettersson)

...or we suck bad for one more year and draft a high-end D. or the Russian, the Sedins and Vanek, etc. are gone and all 4 of those kids and Dahlin (etc.) join us next year.

...either way rebuild is pretty much done...we can't really go down from the last 2 years and next year will be super fun to watch...

The rebuild won't be done until we have six stars or at least very respectable guys playing on the first line, the first pairing and at least a top ten goalie hopefully within a five year age gap.

So far the only known commodity that would fit that bill is Horvat and maybe Boesser.   Some of these other guys will also make it. Until then we have quite a few years left ahead of us and more top five picks and drafts to make it happen.  UFAs might help but are not the ideal way to get your stars as they are pricey and their window is closing.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

no irony at all.

1) scouting isn't exclusively amateur - pro-scouting is also a large part of the game

2) knows the value and odds of a draft pick, particularly later one - when he deals one, he's weighed the risks accordingly - and often, you have an idea of the entry draft in addition - one team's longshots of choice are not necessarily another team's, so chances are you still land the primary targets regardless.

I think it was posted her before by @ForsbergTheGreat but those second and third round picks can be quite important to the quality of a rebuild.  

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they thought they still had a chance to be competitive, "blow it up" wasn't in the cards when Jim was hired either. So since reality hit in WDs last year, things have been bopping along nicely in the prospect department. I don't get why people think thats not the case.... Goldy is developing the right way this year, Gaudette is being talked about for the US Olympic team, Petterson, Dahlen, Boeser, Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu - its a pretty interesting group. We're a bit short on D but man if Pouliot works out thats a major steal. Next draft I expect a lot of D too.

I agree.  The prospect pool is looking good.  There could be a lot more of those quality prospects if the rebuild philosophy was adopted sooner.  

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Some of you fans are delusional.  

Canucks have scraped the bottom of the barrel for young guys that have a chance to play in the NHL.  

You are all pretending in your head that the Canucks have all these potential NHL players in the minors that can play when in reality they don't.  

If we didn't get Vanek and Burmistrov, we would have a couple of lifetime AHLers playing there.  

You also don't develop young guys through losing 80 games a year.

You don't develop young guys by mentoring with UFA 's  that are signed at 32 years old and don't even backcheck  or throw a hit. 

29 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You don't develop young guys by mentoring with UFA 's  that are signed at 32 years old and don't even backcheck  or throw a hit. 

I'd love to have Anze Kopitar.  

Guess what, we can't have better players.  You think a good player wants to come here and waste his career away for the next five years?

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree.  The prospect pool is looking good.  There could be a lot more of those quality prospects if the rebuild philosophy was adopted sooner.  

true, but if Edmonton had done that they would have missed out on McDavid :P

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

The rebuild won't be done until we have six stars or at least very respectable guys playing on the first line, the first pairing and at least a top ten goalie hopefully within a five year age gap.

So far the only known commodity that would fit that bill is Horvat and maybe Boesser.   Some of these other guys will also make it. Until then we have quite a few years left ahead of us and more top five picks and drafts to make it happen.  UFAs might help but are not the ideal way to get your stars as they are pricey and their window is closing.

There is so much parity in the league...to get to the playoffs a team just needs what we have.... and a system/coach....I think we are headed in the right direction now.

There are many player's that could pan out into legit first liner's this year besides Bo and Brock...Granlund, Baerstchi  or even Vanek could ignite and there are Goldy and Rodin still to come this year....that's 7 "possible's" with 2 of those been sure things in my mind anyway.

Next year we have 3 more possible 1st liner's in Pettersson, Dahlin and Gaudette ....and at least one of those is going to make it....sure thing in my mind.

That's 3 "sure thing" 1st liners and a slew of other top 9 player's....not to shabby and our bottom 9 will be better with Gaunce, MacEwen, Gadjovic and Lind.

We have Chatfield, Holm and McEneny on D., one of those will be top 4 soon...Juolevi and this year's pick coming....

I don't see a problem here...other than Canuckluck and effinreffin....(which hasn't been as bad as usual or expected after China)....

Archived