The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Are Your Thoughts of What A Rebuild Is?

TheGuardian_

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:23 PM, stawns said:
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:01 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

Don't sell yourself short, it isn't rocket science and you don't even need a high school diploma that is why there all the other people to do things.

There is no hockey university to go to, true there are coaching seminars and things, but nothing certifies intelligence.

It isn't really all that hard to do many of the hockey jobs, some require a lot of education but not being the GM, coach, scout or apparently President. NHL GM's have it way easier than minor leagues, they can hire whoever they want to get jobs done, minor league guys sometimes have to do it all even for Hockey Canada.

You can't possibly believe that

I guess you have no experience at all with hockey operations or anything to do with hockey except watching. Nothing wrong with that, most fans don't but the higher levels you go the more people there are to help out. 

4 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I guess you have no experience at all with hockey operations or anything to do with hockey except watching. Nothing wrong with that, most fans aren't but the higher levels you go the more people there are to help out. 

And in some cases, the owners do a lot of the work too, especially at the Junior level.  My concern is our owner of the Canucks (Aqualini) is trying to get overly involved in hockey related - on ice - decisions, much like those junior teams' owners do. :(

15 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Every team has their own path.   If you like another's teams path more than Vancouver's, perhaps you need to consider following another team.   

I don't think you understand what it means to be a hockey fan.

mgmt decisions are the lowest concern when determining your favorite team.  Most people have been following this team long before TL and JB and they will be following this team long after their gone.

52 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And in some cases, the owners do a lot of the work too, especially at the Junior level.  My concern is our owner of the Canucks (Aqualini) is trying to get overly involved in hockey related - on ice - decisions, much like those junior teams' owners do. :(

Maybe, maybe when Gillis was here but not now. He will be involved in some aspects but if he was really involved that much now there would be changes in management. That is likely his next involvement especially if the fans start staying away.

His kids/relatives took a beating in school the last time the media started spewing it was all his fault.

At the junior level it is the same, the higher the level, the more assistants. At the very lowest levels, ie Grandview Steelers, the owners are very much involved. The amount of income makes a difference as well, with the Giants the owners get more involved but not at every level. 

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don't think you understand what it means to be a hockey fan.

mgmt decisions are the lowest concern when determining your favorite team.  Most people have been following this team long before TL and JB and they will be following this team long after their gone.

I don't think YOU understand what being a fan is at all.   Real fans cheer for their team when then win but cheer harder when they struggle as that when they need those fans the most.

We seem equal on that account.   

11 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't think YOU understand what being a fan is at all.   Real fans cheer for their team when then win but cheer harder when they struggle as that when they need those fans the most.

We seem equal on that account.   

Sure cheer for the team all you want, doesn't mean you have to be a blind follower that mgmt can do no wrong.  Being a fan of a team doesn't mean you aren't allowed to have an opinion of your own. 

21 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sure cheer for the team all you want, doesn't mean you have to be a blind follower that mgmt can do no wrong.  Being a fan of a team doesn't mean you aren't allowed to have an opinion of your own. 

I think it is you that are blind to the strong positive direction your team is headed.

i don't see many, if any, posters that think the management of the Canucks can do no wrong but I certainly see some of you who can see no right and if you are truly a fan, how difficult that must be for you.

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I think it is you that are blind to the strong positive direction your team is headed.

Who said this team isn't finally going in the right direction?

i don't see many, if any, posters that think the management of the Canucks can do no wrong

I keep seeing people say that yet, those same people defend EVERY move made, no matter how bad it is. 

but I certainly see some of you who can see no right and if you are truly a fan, how difficult that must be for you.

On the flip side I see a lot of people upset with certain moves, praise mgmt for other decisions. 

Again what does that have to do with being a fan. Being a fan of a team doesn't mean you aren't allowed to have an opinion of your own. 

4 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I guess you have no experience at all with hockey operations or anything to do with hockey except watching. Nothing wrong with that, most fans aren't but the higher levels you go the more people there are to help out. 

Nothing wrong with having an MBA, its applicable to any organization or business and I'd bet every team had guys with these.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The flipside is, though, that it's far too easy for people to "glom on" to an idea that then generates momentum.  We've been throwing everyone under the bus for the past while....I remember "fire AV" then "MG" and Willie D, etc.  So it becomes an easy comment.   AV was one of my favourites, yet people would be all over him at the first hint of a loss.  So that's become a common theme...to find a scapegoat at the first opportunity and run with it.  Often, without justification.

Opinions are great when they're one's own.  But, all too often, they're just being recycled without much thought and can do more harm than good.

People who ARE supportive of the team (those, like me, who have come to accept losing as part of it all but still watch for entertainment value), get called homers and blind followers.  But just because we don't turn on or give up on the team, it doesn't mean we're stupid.  Just that we have different priorities in all of this.  Different expectations.

Many aren't fans of "the team", they're fans of "winning".  Only.

We all love the wins...but 82 games makes for a long season.  So when the team stumbles, they may pull out of it.  Instead of turning on them, that's the time to get behind them.

We've had it pretty good in the recent past.  I've been around for awhile and we've had it REALLY bad at times, so you have to take the highs and the lows.   Criticizing doesn't change the team and, although it's part of discussion if it's in the forefront it needs questioning.  If this deal is so painful for some, why do they punish themselves?  That's a point I often ponder.....

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Do we fans also need to cheer for the management or can we discuss instead?

I cheer on the players best I can. Management is different. 

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

People who ARE supportive of the team, get called homers and blind followers. 

No they don't.  This team has been god awful on the ice and painful to watch for the last two years yet we're still here.  So we're all supportive of the team.  Homers and blind followers are the ones that were saying that trading away our draft picks is smart when rebuilding, or that the Eriksson contract isn't terrible, or that Nylander isn't better than Virtanen.  You can support the team while being realistic and critical of management and coaching.  

11 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

No they don't.  This team has been god awful on the ice and painful to watch for the last two years yet we're still here.  So we're all supportive of the team.  Homers and blind followers are the ones that were saying that trading away our draft picks is smart when rebuilding, or that the Eriksson contract isn't terrible, or that Nylander isn't better than Virtanen.  You can support the team while being realistic and critical of management and coaching.  

I recall the loud cheer section on this forum that, like you suggest, defended, even celebrate, every SlimJim misadventure, regardless of how the moves looked.

That kind of blind following is fanaticism, not fandom.

No need to clamour onto everything the management has done and "get behind" it as if that's what a REAL fan does.

It goes both ways though. We've had some posters say nothing good about the whole thing too. Still, it must be 50-1 of blind homers to hardcore critics. Even the middle ground is largely sympathetic to management's F ups. It's getting better though. 

11 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I'd be interested in bring back Pizza from Vegas.

During a rebuild, there is nothing wrong with having a rugged defence. 

I'd trade Hutton tomorrow if the opportunity was there. 

I'd trade anyone on this team if it made us better ( younger and more picks).   At this point nobody should be untouchable, and as more and more guys like JV and Boeser make the team some guys should start to go to shore up other areas ( goaltending and defense).   Our forwards group thats on the team and coming up is a lot stronger than other areas, it could suck to see some guys traded but as we get closer it's bound to happen.    

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'd trade anyone on this team if it made us better ( younger and more picks).   At this point nobody should be untouchable, and as more and more guys like JV and Boeser make the team some guys should start to go to shore up other areas ( goaltending and defense).   Our forwards group thats on the team and coming up is a lot stronger than other areas, it could suck to see some guys traded but as we get closer it's bound to happen.    

I agree with the no untouchables part.

SlimJim needs to ID players built for playoff hockey and start insulating the core with them. I don't see Hutton as that guy. 

Archived