The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Meanest things your parents have ever said to you

DontTouchMeGuys

Well, not something mean she said to me, but my mom made me give away my favorite stuffed animal when I was about 8 or 9 to her friends daughter that wanted it...

Another time, my Dad ripped my then favorite stuffed beaver to pieces in front of me when i was about 11.

Fun times..., thx TC *Cries alone in the bathtub*

I grew up pretty poor (paycheck to paycheck…when my parents did get paychecks). I would want things or ask for things, or question why my parents did the things they did. My parents constantly responded that they paid the bills and when I paid the bills I could make the rules. They were always obsessed with money since they never had any. It really made me feel like that was the only important thing to them, and that my thoughts and opinions didn't matter- even for non-monetary matters.

Now I make more money than either of them ever have. I help them out financially (and have been since ~age 17). I still haven't forgotten the way they made me feel though.

My dad was terribly abused by his father.....I got lucky and he could never lay a hand on us or be mean to us.  But man could he give discipline with a strong word of disappointment.

My mom was a spiteful bitch always saying mean things and things were never good enough.  Uhm...I got into premed on a full scholarship....stoned the entire time and never doing homework....ended up with a business degree somehow....you think high A average would be good right?  Nope...

Anyway..she is why I moved out at 16 and got a place of my own.  We're super cool now and thankfully all the $&!# I went through she didn't do to my brothers.  She's been an amazing grandma to my niece and I love going home and spending time with her and the family.  

22 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

I grew up pretty poor (paycheck to paycheck…when my parents did get paychecks). I would want things or ask for things, or question why my parents did the things they did. My parents constantly responded that they paid the bills and when I paid the bills I could make the rules. They were always obsessed with money since they never had any. It really made me feel like that was the only important thing to them, and that my thoughts and opinions didn't matter- even for non-monetary matters.

Now I make more money than either of them ever have. I help them out financially (and have been since ~age 17). I still haven't forgotten the way they made me feel though.

I mean being more mature now you can surely understand why they did what they did. If they had money and made you feel that way, then they deserve some blame.

I never got along with my step-mom. Never figured what my Dad saw in her. (If she was a lawyer, or doctor or something sure). 

She made snide comments. Out of respect for my Dad, and my step sister and brothers I never said a word. 

I figured we didn't get along, feeling was mutual. I would be the bigger man and be civil. 

I totally get why my parents divorced. I guess I just wanted better things for my Dad. 

47 minutes ago, Sikhguy23 said:

I mean being more mature now you can surely understand why they did what they did. If they had money and made you feel that way, then they deserve some blame.

A couple years ago my mom fell on particularly hard times and she had to move in with me. She kept trying to give me directions as far as how to run my household, and I basically told her since I was footing the bills I would run my house how I please. She was very hurt and complained that I was being dismissive. I told her that how she knew how I felt all those years. It was very eye opening for her to be on the other side. It wasn't about money.

Some of the stereotypical Asian family things like not being smart enough, pretty enough, thin enough. Yeah, it definitely has played a part in my lack of self-esteem throughout my life. 

With that said, my parents (and family as a whole) were a lot less strict than a lot of your typical Asian family so I had quite a bit of freedom. 

Archived