The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Meanest things your parents have ever said to you

DontTouchMeGuys

I was told at a young age that I will have to have a good work ethic and earn my way through life as I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth and wasn't going to get handouts just because I felt like I was entitled to them.

Though this thread does remind of The Breakfast Club

Warning, course language:

I know I said plenty of worse things to my parents than from them to me.  Aside from that, almost all meanness from my parents (and rest of the family) came through humor/practical jokes.

The worse I remember was having a friend sleep over when I was 12 or 13.  The two of us and my mom were watching a scary movie (Carrie, I think).  Movie over, time for bed, with my friend and I sleeping downstairs in the TV room.  Mom, now upstairs, heads over to the heating vent, and starts making scary noises.  Softly at first, but progressively louder.  This sound comes down through the vent above our heads, and we flip out, especially me.

To give some perspective, probably the worse practical joke I saw in the family had to do with my grandmother and uncle (her son).  Gramma loved her cats, and had one or two the whole time I knew her.  One of her cats loved to sleep under the covers of her bed, even mid-day, when the bed was made.  Knowing this, my uncle once put a small pillow under the covers, then waited for Gramma to come by.  When she was there, he jumped up and landed on the lump in the bed.  She was not too impressed, but the rest of us enjoyed our laughs.  BTW, Gramma lived a nice long life, with no heart issues ;) 

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

...and did you?

Lol at 15 he smashed a coffee cup over my face and knocked out some of my teeth. I faught him at 16 and got kicked out of home. By 17 I’d had 3 assault charges on me. But that all seems like a lifetime ago. I don’t think I’m weak enough to live in the city, but I don’t think I’m the toughest neither.

I had parents that made fun of me in front of their friends / extended family.  You know the type, the ones that put people down for that instant validation whether they're playful jabs or heartfelt blows.  I mean my extended family called me bug ffs, I know I was hideous, especially when I was young, but c'mon stick up for your child once and awhile.  One thing I learned since I couldn't fight back was to develop that quick wit to quickly turn the tides verbally to all those that made fun of me. 

my foster parents, told us if we weren't good, they would send us to live with my mom. made us feel like living with our mom would be worse than death. never forgave them for that. 

they tried to cure me of being afraid of the dark. they made me go down the darkened hallway, then came up behind me and yelled boo. so sadistic.

My dad was just a warm body at home. Always disconnected, never watched me step on the ice in my entire life....I have played hockey for 23 years. Never cared about my interests, Forgot birthdays, Forgot christmas, etc.

To me, I would have liked a little emotion...to let me know what I was doing wrong, maybe some valuable life lessons or experiences?

So, to sum up, the worst thing my dad ever said to me was nothing at all, that probably hurts the most.

26 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

My dad was just a warm body at home. Always disconnected, never watched me step on the ice in my entire life....I have played hockey for 23 years. Never cared about my interests, Forgot birthdays, Forgot christmas, etc.

To me, I would have liked a little emotion...to let me know what I was doing wrong, maybe some valuable life lessons or experiences?

So, to sum up, the worst thing my dad ever said to me was nothing at all, that probably hurts the most.

Hugs bro.

sorry to hear that.

Archived