The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot | #5 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

I've wanted to go after this guy since he was in the AHL and it's good to see JB's had his eye on him. We got him when his value was at it's lowest and I've got a feeling this guy is still capable of being a 40 point defenceman.

Brilliant trade at the perfect time, with Edler out I think Pouliot's going to end up playing 15-20 minutes and jump right over Hutton for 2nd on our depth chart for now on the left side.

Low risk - high reward potential.   

Lets face it,  most people are hoping Pittsburgh gave up on this kid too early and that JB got himself a gem.  Aso, as some people like to say when it's convenient,  let's hope defencemen really do take longer to develop and DP can still turn into something special here.  

• Upvote 2

He certainly had a couple of miscues but that's not terribly surprising given his age, role and fact that he's brand new to the team, systems, coaches, d partners etc. Otherwise, he certainly showed some of the promise he was drafted for. Cross your fingers CDC.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

He certainly had a couple of miscues but that's not terribly surprising given his age, role and fact that he's brand new to the team, systems, coaches, d partners etc. Otherwise, he certainly showed some of the promise he was drafted for. Cross your fingers CDC.

on the risk-reward side this one is maybe the most tilted deal I think I've seen for the Canucks. Unless you're an uber-pick junkie or had the hots for Pedan. 

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

on the risk-reward side this one is maybe the most tilted deal I think I've seen for the Canucks. Unless you're an uber-pick junkie or had the hots for Pedan. 

Hoping it turns out similar to the Ehrhoff robbery Gillis pulled off.

...without the asshat chasing of a cup money in BUF nonsense.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hoping it turns out similar to the Ehroff robbery Gillis pulled off.

...without the asshat chasing of a cup money in BUF nonsense.

BUF did us a favour. I couldn't take CDC having both Errorhoff and Edler to dump on. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

BUF did us a favour. I couldn't take CDC having both Errorhoff and Edler to dump on. 

CDC's irrational hate withstanding and regardless of what people think of them as individual players, together they worked and largely made good things happen. Particularly on the PP.

Chemistry and complimentary skills sure can be magic.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think had Hoff stayed in Van, he would have continued to stay motivated and have a good career. He made 18 million over 2 years in Buffalo... lost all his motivation. 

If we kept Hoff at a good contract, we probably head back to the finals in 2011/2012... well that and not having a criminal Duncan Keith head hunting the leagues reigning MVP right before the playoffs. 

As for Derrick, good first game. Hope he can build on it!

• Upvote 2

Pouliot clearly illustrated the offensive skills he is noted for. He has elite mobility, moved the puck well, joined the rush at every opportunity and demonstrated a very capable shot. He has everything we have been looking for in a PP QB and I can see him quickly taking over that role.

On the defensive side of things he also came as advertised and looked lost out there on numerous occasions. However, it was his 1st game with the team and I think we should see some improvement in the defensive zone moving forward. I think he may need some sheltered minutes for a short period of time that would see him playing mostly on the PP, limited 5 on 5 time (unless games are a blowout one way or the other) and zero PK time. I think his defensive partner is really going to see limited minutes as a result unless his partner plays majority of PK time.

He will be the exciting player lots have been clamoring for and I think it is going to be a very high risk/high reward situation for most of his ice time.