The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot | #5 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, darkpoet said:

I've got some even better news for you.

He's a +2 and on pace for 32 points. 

There is not a single defenceman playing for Pittsburgh right now who is a + player, and only Olli Maatta is on pace to match Derek's point total - barely (pacing at 36)

Derek is quickly becoming our 2nd most valuable Dman, behind Tanev.
When Guddy gets healthy things are going to get interesting because not only is Pouliot leading our defence in scoring, only Tanev and Hutton have a better +/-. (+11 and +4 respectively)
NO WAY does he come out of the lineup. So one of our guys is on the block. 
I'm betting on either Hutton or Guddy. Since Guddy brings a physical aspect we're seriously lacking back there, I'm going with Hutton, because Derek is trending consistently upward as his confidence grows. Don't forget he was an 8th overall pick. He never realized that in Pittsbugh, but it's starting to show now, and he's still only 23, actually a year and a half younger than Hutton.

Any way you look at it:

giphy.gif

1002174-jim-rutherford.jpg

I'd have a tendency to agree. I like Hutton's personality, he's a fun kind of guy. Smiles all the time - reminds me a lot of Lack, actually. 

But personalities don't win championships. And Benning needs to make a tough decision. Pouliot definitely doesn't come out of the line up, cause he's playing too well. 

Either someone is traded, or Hutton sits in the pressbox. 

OR....Gudbranson is traded. But then we don't have a physical presence at the backend. Might be too soft back in defense unless we get someone of similar ilk to Guddy coming back.

• Upvote 1

here's a nice little article about Pouliot. He looked really good against the Hurricanes and I like what I've seen from him thus far. Benning has done a great job bringing in some youngs who can perform I think the Canucks are far exceeding what analysts have said about them.

https://www.tsn.ca/pouliot-shining-in-first-season-with-canucks-1.937423

VANCOUVER -- When Derrick Pouliot joined the Vancouver Canucks in an early-October trade, he was not expected to play much.

Now, it's difficult for Canucks coach Travis Green to keep the young defenseman off the ice.

Pouliot, 23, has become a mainstay with the Canucks (14-10-4) and will play a prominent role again Thursday night as they host the Philadelphia Flyers (10-11-7).

Pouliot, unwanted by the two-time Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins, has earned more than a passing grade from Green -- for his tape-to-tape passes among other things.

"It's a big strength of his to pass on the fly with his head up and snap it," Green said. "That's an art. He has been really good at it his whole life. Some guys pass in stride cleaner than others. But to be an elite defenseman you have to pass it hard and flat so it hits the blade and sits there."

Pouliot, an Estevan, Saskatchewan, native who languished mainly in the minors after the Penguins drafted him eighth overall in 2012, is also producing points -- a rare feat for most Canucks defensemen in recent seasons -- and preventing goals.

He scored a goal and added two assists in Vancouver's 3-0 victory over Carolina on Monday while recording a game-high four blocked shots and helping goaltender Jacob Markstrom earn his first NHL shutout.

"(Pouliot has) also done a good job in his own zone and we don't need him to be something he's not -- not yet," said Green, who coached him in junior with the Western Hockey League's Portland Winterhawks. "You can be a good player without being No. 1 power-play guy."

Pouliot scored the winning goal for the second straight contest as the Canucks extended their win streak to three games.

"We're heading in the right direction," said Pouliot, who has those two goals on the season along with eight assists. "Our starts have been good for the most part, aside from (Monday's first period against Carolina), so it's good to see we are going where we want to."

Pouliot was acquired for 6-foot-5 defenseman Andrey Pedan, who has more size than skill. He is in the minors and has yet to play a regular-season game for the Penguins, who also obtained a fourth-round draft pick in the deal.

It was initially expected that Pouliot would be the odd man out -- in other words, a healthy scratch -- when rearguard Erik Gudbranson returns from a wrist injury in about a week.

However, it now appears that, barring an unforeseen injury, another defenseman will draw the short straw, especially with Pouliot helping the Canucks shine at home, where they will play 10 of 13 games in December, but are a modest 5-5-3.

"We've been talking about finding consistency in our game," Green said. "But, yeah, we're at home now and, hopefully, we're feeling good about ourselves and we can get on a roll."

Meanwhile, the Flyers are on a relative roll. They have won two straight games, with the latest victory coming Wednesday night in Edmonton 4-2, after losing 10 straight.

"We went through a tough stretch and got a win the other night in Calgary and (Wednesday's win) was big to keep us going on the right track," Flyers goalie Brian Elliott told reporters in Edmonton.

Prior to beating Edmonton, the Flyers downed the Flames in Calgary two nights earlier.

"We have to stay hungry for wins," Flyers winger Dale Weise told Philly.com. "I think, when you lose 10 in a row, you kind of get that hunger back -- not that we didn't have it at the beginning of the year, but I think we've got that urgency in our game now where we just hate to lose and it really bothers every guy in here."

The Flyers, who are mired well below the playoff bar in the Eastern Conference, have won two successive games only twice this season. They will be playing the second of back-to-back road games -- as well as their third road game in four nights.

A win in Vancouver would give the Flyers an unexpected sweep of their three-game Western Canadian road trip -- and, perhaps, improve coach Dave Hakstol's job security following recent questions about his future with the club.

"We've got some ground to make up to scratch and claw back into it," Hakstol told Philly.com. "We can't let many more points slip away -- that's the reality for our hockey team."

Edited by Shekky

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Apparently Pouliot has been battling a hand injury.

https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/954814037803462656

Makes sense as to why he's been out of the lineup so long. Looking forward to seeing him play more. I see a Hutton or Edler trade coming.

"Return to the lineup" -- so who's coming out, Hutton again?  A trade is looking more and more likely, but MDZ could potentially be in the mix as well.  Really can't see Gudbranson being moved, with the RHS just another factor in it even though Pouliot can play both sides.

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2018 at 9:16 PM, -AJ- said:

Good game by Pouliot tonight. I've been critical of him lately, but he performed well tonight.

He struggled a bit when he first got here, then looked comfortable/good, then struggled again and recently has been looking better again. Clearly the tools and ability are there and he needs to figure out how to play that way consistently and keep the confidence in his game. He's still young and has good upside if he can solve those consistency issues and continue to improve.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Derrick Pouliot is the only Canucks D man to play in 60+ games and have a SAT% above 50 at 5v5.

He is +22 in shot attempt differential behind only Daniel Sedin +89, Henrik Sedin +65, and Reid Boucher+26

That is 59th best in the league for D men with over 60 games played.

Some names for reference:
Erik Karlsson: +30
Dustin Byfuglien: +29
Karl Alzner: +28
Derrick Pouliot: +22
Nate Schmidt: +18
Jared Spurgeon: +12
Dmitry Kulikov: +8

When you look at SAT Rel% Pouliot is top 20 in the league for D men with over 60 games played.

Some names for reference:
16. Roman Josi +.4.49

17. Zach werenski +4.31

18. Hampus Lindholm +4.17

19. Vince Dunn +3.62

20. Derrick Pouliot +3.58

21. Nick Jensen +3.43

22. Joakim Ryan +3.11

23. Dmitry Orlov +3.02

24. Colton Parayko +3.01

Safe to say he has been better this year than I though from a shot attempt differential standpoint at 5v5.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rekker said:

He makes some weird plays out there but in the end I like him more than Hutton. He has more upside in my opinion.

I agree, he's an NHL player even if thats bottom pairing. In a way this is his first actual year in the NHL and he probably just needs some time to gain confidence and grow as a player. Ive really enjoyed his physicality recently as well

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Up and down season for him.

Overall he brings a game that better suits today's NHL albeit he is still growing as a player.

Given that he's younger, probably will be cheaper and has more upside, he has made Hutton expendable.

I like Pouliot and Hutton.  I think Green pointed out that they both need to commit to fitness, and being professional in their off ice preparation.  Green made a point of saying, after last game, how much he likes Sautner for his fitness, and skating.  Maybe Sautner is going to pass both of the other two?

• Like 1

Pair him with a defense-first guy and we should be good for a bottom pairing.  From goals like his winner yesterday, you know he's got the instincts to jump in and contribute on offense.  Just got to make sure things are tidy on his own end (or his partner can help with that).

Just now, Phil_314 said:

Pair him with a defense-first guy and we should be good for a bottom pairing.  From goals like his winner yesterday, you know he's got the instincts to jump in and contribute on offense.  Just got to make sure things are tidy on his own end (or his partner can help with that).

Partner Pouliot with BIG TRYAMKIN? :wub:

• 1 month later...