The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot | #5 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On May 2, 2018 at 8:32 PM, RetroCanuck said:

He will be an NHL player. That may be a bottom player guy thats sheltered but provides offence but still he's a steal.

This was basically his first year in the NHL and Id say he acquitted himself well considering he was often playing on his off side!

Good trade, heres hoping he progresses next year and shows he can be a top 4 guy!

Derrick needed a new home and Vancouver might be the right fit...Very good skater with very good vision...

We have seen a very big improvement in his game..His confidence has come back which he lost in Pittsburgh..

Hope Derrick comes back fresh and hungry to take a big step this year and show the talent he has...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

!!!!!!!!

We better sign this guy. The dud showed promise at times, looked like a top 4 D. Fits our model too. Plus I have his jersey, PLEASE SIGN HIM.

Doesn't he get an automatic raise if they qualify him?

My guess is they'd rather sign him as a free agent. He doesn't deserve more than 900k at this point.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

My guess is they'd rather sign him as a free agent. He doesn't deserve more than 900k at this point.

Ya, might be a negotiation strategy to let him walk briefly. Could just as likely backfire if he's approached by another team... which he can be at this point. We have to re-up if only to make the 4th (and prior 3rd for Pedan) we paid worthwhile. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I'm pretty sure it's true that there's a minimum increase in salary that is due under the RFA regime if Pouliot is qualified.  Still, a little strange that they're signalling that they're content to let him go.  Pouliot had his struggles but he also holds quite a bit of potential.

At the same time, I can see them signalling to Pouliot that he really needs to be ready to compete for a spot this season and that they are serious in giving Juolevi and even Hughes a chance at camp.  This is the easiest way to open up a spot for one of those two (assuming that Hughes actually ends up signing a contract).  Between losing Pouliot and Hutton, it makes more sense to lose Pouliot IMHO.  I'm wondering if they tried shopping Pouliot at all.

3 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Ya, might be a negotiation strategy to let him walk briefly. Could just as likely backfire if he's approached by another team... which he can be at this point. We have to re-up if only to make the 4th (and prior 3rd for Pedan) we paid worthwhile. 

I mean the guys already 24, what you see might be what you get. I'm guessing they hoped Green could help turn his game around, but his play in the defensive zone is not good.

I still think it was worth the gamble. A 3rd and 4th are long shot picks, I'm okay gambling on a former 8th overall even if it doesn't work out.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He has arbitration rights.  He could put forth his 22pts and ask for significantly more than what they are willing to pay him.  Hutton started his 2x 2.8M deal after a 19pt season.

11 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

!!!!!!!!

We better sign this guy. The dud showed promise at times, looked like a top 4 D. Fits our model too. Plus I have his jersey, PLEASE SIGN HIM.

He's the most promising dud out there. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

He has arbitration rights.  He could put forth his 22pts and ask for significantly more than what they are willing to pay him.  Hutton started his 2x 2.8M deal after a 19pt season.

Yep, no way we're paying him anywhere close to 2 mil. I'm fine walking if that's the case.

He's gotta realize he won't get a much better opportunity under Green than here.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gobi said:

And Canucks did walk away. 

His agent is overselling his position if he thinks 22 points is representative of what he can put up regularly.

Only reason he got those points was because of all the injuries we sustained. On most teams he's not cracking the top 4, maybe not even the roster.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Correction. What I wrote earlier was wrong. Yes, Pouliot would have required a boost for his QO. According to CapFriendly his base salary was 832 K and he would have needed 105% of that or about 874K. (For salaries of 1 million or over no boost is needed.)

5 hours ago, mll said:

But, yes, because of his arb rights, he would have received quite a bit more than his previous salary in arbitration, where points count for a lot and crappy defence does not get adequately emphasized. So Pouliot would get more than he deserved in arbitration.

Still, while I have previously said that Pouliot was not very good, I am surprised not to see him qualified. It is not like the Canucks will have a cap problem this year. Actually they may have a problem -- in reaching the cap floor ::D.

I assume the Canucks tried to trade him -- even just to get back the 4th round pick they gave up to get him (along with Pedan).

But I guess the Canucks found out that his trade value is next to nothing, which means other teams probably won't offer much in free agency.

I guess the Canucks are kind of expecting one of Juolevi or Hughes to make the team, and maybe they figure that McEneny or Sauntner might be just as good as Pouliot in a pinch (less offense but more reliably defensively).

I don't blame Benning for making the trade. It was probably worth a shot. But it did not work out.

Edited by JamesB
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Yep, no way we're paying him anywhere close to 2 mil. I'm fine walking if that's the case.

He's gotta realize he won't get a much better opportunity under Green than here.

And despite the 19 pts that Hutton got previously, lots of people are impatient about the year he's had. I'm sure both Hutton and Pouliot's time here are starting to be numbered, especially if someone like Juolevi or Sautner somehow find themselves on the starting roster.

Honestly, Sautner, McEaney, and Hughes make Pouliot irrelevant. I won't be shocked if Pouliot signs elsewhere. 

Rather see a more promising defender like Evan McEaney or Ashton Sautner (who opened eyes late last season) get a shot as as the 7th d.