The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot | #5 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

23 hours ago, shazzam said:

what do you like about his game? I haven't paid attention to him. 

Pouliot is a capable and efficient puck mover, who skates well, and makes sharp crisp passes. He has skill on the powerplay, and plays a simple and effective game in his own end. As a bonus, he doesn't seem to be intimidated and readily stands his ground.

All in all, a smart move by Benning.

Interesting side note: Andrey Pedan has been suspended for three games for charging Jakob Zboril, who was injured due to the high hit.

Edited by PhillipBlunt

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Pouliot is a capable and efficient puck mover, who skates well, and makes sharp crisp passes. He has skill on the powerplay, and plays a simple and effective game in his own end. As a bonus, he doesn't seem to be intimidated and readily stands his ground.

All in all, a smart move by Benning.

Interesting side note: Andrey Pedan has been suspended for three games for charging Jakob Zboril, who was injured due to the high hit.

Bu-bu-but PB, #Truculence!!! We need that stuff!!

• Like 1

xfering this over to Pouliot discussion page because I believe its relevant.  This response came from a post in Canucks vs Kings GTD on Nov 14th.

5 hours ago, Green Building said:

Trying to fins another source for this Green quote.

I believe this is an open challenge to Derrick Pouliot to try and establish himself as the guy.  He sees an opening now and the coach is telling him "we have no guy for this task".  Derrick fit this role in Jr and excelled.  He was drafted for this very reason.  When we traded for him Green/Benning made it clear they weren't going to put those types of expectations on him but they believed one day maybe he might develop that side of his game.  For that reason I think this is an open challenge to Pouliot to see if he can become that guy with the coach stating to the team and the fanbase no one has this role on this team and we need it.  

I expect we will see Pouliot get plenty of opportunity and I hope he rises to the challenge to become that PPQB we really need.  I think he has it in him!

Edited by Rush17
  • Upvote 1

He's really showing why he was a top 10 pick not too long ago, high IQ and just a really smart player all around, especially in the O-zone, what a trade by Benning.

He already looks like a top 4 D-man to me, I wonder how much better he can become the more he plays and as his confidence increases.

He still needs to be handled carefully. This entire season should be meant for him to gain confidence, particularly offensive.

Ozone starts are above 60% for the season. He is getting top 6 minutes and plenty of PP time. This is how he should be handled this season.

Would like him to develop his shot more overall.  Like Stecher, he is able to get pucks through and accurately but doens't utilize his full strength and 200lb frame to really rip one.

That is my only complaint about him, he needs to work on that shot of his, but overall one minor thing that doesn't often get noticed or enough credit is his vision.  He sees the ice so well and you see how he passes is a byproduct of his excellent vision, I think it is far more refined then Stech's or Hutton's to see the ice.  Its also why he just doesn't spend a whole lot of time in his own end cause he thinks the game well.  

From The Provies, Pouliot's plays last night:

The secondary assist on Eriksson-to-H.Sedin goal.

pouliot-pass.gif?w=570&h=319

The secondary assist on Vanek-to-Baertschi:

pouliot-second-assist.gif?w=609&h=341

This got praise too, as he kept up with Pearson, though I think he took the wrong turn at the end:

pouliot-vs-pearson.gif?w=593&h=342

I'm liking this guy more and more. My dad actually ribbed me about getting Pouliot's jersey, but I think it's starting to look like a fine idea.

Oh, and hey - doesn't he look better on the right side? He's been playing right with Edler left, and has been playing his best hockey. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

This got praise too, as he kept up with Pearson, though I think he took the wrong turn at the end:

I'm liking this guy more and more. My dad actually ribbed me about getting Pouliot's jersey, but I think it's starting to look like a fine idea.

Oh, and hey - doesn't he look better on the right side? He's been playing right with Edler left, and has been playing his best hockey. 

So when Stecher and Tanev return, who the hell comes out?

To early to make any definitive roster changes based on Pouliot's progress to date. Fans can only be pleasantly surprised by his progress. He is climbing the depth chart. All this, hopefully, culminates in a TDL deal where a d-man is moved for picks. 

Biega out for sure, but after that it's gonna be tough.  Rotation?

I'm sure I'll get ripped for this, but I'm still not convinced about Pouliot.  He's done better than I expected, but with a few minor exceptions everything I've seen from him has been pretty average.

In those clips from last night, I see decent heads-up play but nothing that should be enough to say things like "I can see now why he was selected high in the first round" (or whatever was said).  These are decent, but completely standard plays.  The only reason he looks really good to us is because the rest of our defense isn't really that talented so even a good breakout pass makes us sit up and take notice.

So I'm happy to see him playing like this and he's great for depth and perhaps still has potential, but so far it's a solid "wait and see" from me at this point. I will be happy to eat crow in a couple of years, but I don't believe he is ever going to be the high-end defenseman we *actually* need.  We already have plenty of average guys on the blueline.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So when Stecher and Tanev return, who the hell comes out?

Whoever gets injured next? :lol:

But seriously, I'm not sure what they do if everyone's healthy. Beyond Biega, there's not really an obvious guy to take out. I mean they could alternate Hutton/Pouliot in and out but that's not really ideal either.

One would hope this is all leading up to an eventual Edler move but that's not likely until closer to the TDL (if he'll waive). Maybe a playoff team gets in to injury trouble with a top 4, left  D before then...?

It's a good problem to have but it is a (pending) problem.

6 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Biega out for sure, but after that it's gonna be tough.  Rotation?

I'm sure I'll get ripped for this, but I'm still not convinced about Pouliot.  He's done better than I expected, but with a few minor exceptions everything I've seen from him has been pretty average.

In those clips from last night, I see decent heads-up play but nothing that should be enough to say things like "I can see now why he was selected high in the first round" (or whatever was said).  These are decent, but completely standard plays.  The only reason he looks really good to us is because the rest of our defense isn't really that talented so even a good breakout pass makes us sit up and take notice.

So I'm happy to see him playing like this and he's great for depth and perhaps still has potential, but so far it's a solid "wait and see" from me at this point. I will be happy to eat crow in a couple of years, but I don't believe he is ever going to be the high-end defenseman we *actually* need.  We already have plenty of average guys on the blueline.

He looks like he could develop in to a legit 2nd pair, PMD. That's nothing to sneeze at. 

Yeah, we still need a 1st pair guy in that vein but given that we got him for basically a song, you honestly don't understand why people are happy with the move? As I said in the trade thread, that trade is an easy win.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

He looks like he could develop in to a legit 2nd pair, PMD. That's nothing to sneeze at. 

Yeah, we still need a 1st pair guy in that vein but given that we got him for basically a song, you honestly don't understand why people are happy with the move? As I said in the trade thread, that trade is an easy win.

Oh, I didn't say that.  I am willing to accept that the trade was a good one.  I just don't think all this excitement and fanfare is warranted for a guy who imo is a bottom pairing defenseman and has a *potential* of a 2nd pairing guy.  If he does turn into a 2nd pairing guy, then we did really really well.  But until then, I just see it as a depth trade.

Edited by kloubek

3 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Just wanted to add that the provies failed to also note that on the Baertschi goal, Pouliot had the awareness to drive the net and create space. That goal doesn't happen otherwise. It's early days but I'm willing to bet that many will be buying Pouliot jerseys in the coming seasons :)

edit: That turn against Pearson was ill advised lmao... he needs to put his head down and skate with him...

Edited by pharmalaw

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

Oh, I didn't say that.  I am willing to accept that the trade was a good one.  I just don't think all this excitement and fanfare is warranted for a guy who imo is a bottom pairing defenseman and has a *potential* of a 2nd pairing guy.  If he does turn into a 2nd pairing guy, then we did really really well.  But until then, I just see it as a depth trade.

He's only 23 years old and he's already shown ability the last couple weeks to at least play fill in 2nd pair minutes and look good doing so... at 23 years old.

That is better than 'just a depth trade'.