The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot | #5 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On 12/6/2017 at 1:49 PM, darkpoet said:

I made another one for you guys.
Another classic! .... 5 seconds left in game 7 vs. Flames in 2004 WCQF and Cooke scores... 

Use it at will  :towel:

6R9A79.gif

one of the best moments ever. we lost that game though didnt we lol.  OT loss damn Calgary.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

He will be an NHL player. That may be a bottom player guy thats sheltered but provides offence but still he's a steal.

This was basically his first year in the NHL and Id say he acquitted himself well considering he was often playing on his off side!

Good trade, heres hoping he progresses next year and shows he can be a top 4 guy!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was one of the few that wasn't high on him from the beginning, and I'm still not.  Doesn't mean the deal was bad; we paid almost nothing to get him.

I do see streaks from him that look really good and I'm happy to re-sign him for depth, but his chances to be in the NHL are dwindling. He needs to work on his defensive play if he wants to remain in this league.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I was one of the few that wasn't high on him from the beginning, and I'm still not.  Doesn't mean the deal was bad; we paid almost nothing to get him.

I do see streaks from him that look really good and I'm happy to re-sign him for depth, but his chances to be in the NHL are dwindling. He needs to work on his defensive play if he wants to remain in this league.

Pouliot could become an excellent top four dman, with a lot of offense to his game.  However, he's not committed to being a professional athlete off the ice.  He's overweight and lacks proper aerobic fitness.  He needs to change to a proper diet, and become fit.  If he doesn't, then he is out of the league.  He's in the same boat as Hutton.  If we do have one of the two actually realize they need to change their training and eating habits, then we will have a very good Dman for years to come.  If both "get it" then we have two valuable assets.

57 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think a top 4 guy might be a bit of a reach for him at this point.  Got him for a fairly cheap price (failed gamble prospect + mid round pick) so I can't complain.

He's certainly trending to be a 'Yannick Weber', bottom pair/spare level D as of right now. But He's still got a year or two to round out his game and have 2nd pair/bottom 4 aspirations IMO.

He's got the skating, stick handling, offensive ability etc, he just needs to work on his fitness (and related consistency) and d-zone play.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's certainly trending to be a 'Yannick Weber', bottom pair/spare level D as of right now. But He's still got a year or two to round out his game and have 2nd pair/bottom 4 aspirations IMO.

He's got the skating, stick handling, offensive ability etc, he just needs to work on his fitness (and related consistency) and d-zone play.

Is that his off-season game plan? Do we know what he's targeting to work on specifically this off-season? 

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pouliot could become an excellent top four dman, with a lot of offense to his game.  However, he's not committed to being a professional athlete off the ice.  He's overweight and lacks proper aerobic fitness.  He needs to change to a proper diet, and become fit.  If he doesn't, then he is out of the league.  He's in the same boat as Hutton.  If we do have one of the two actually realize they need to change their training and eating habits, then we will have a very good Dman for years to come.  If both "get it" then we have two valuable assets.

I agree with you that the common issue between both is conditioning and dedication to the craft.  I am certain both players would be better if they had better focus on making themselves better and working as hard as they can.

However, I think this rings true more for Hutton than Pouliot.  While both require exactly what you are saying, Hutton does not have that high-end potential whatsoever.  At best, he's a mid pairing all-around defenseman.  Pouliot, on the other hand, has a higher ceiling that he could realize with that proper training and dedication.  

Regrettably, I don't expect either to reach their ceilings.  They are not young pups anymore, and if they were going to "get it", presume they would have done so by now.  I'm hopeful one or both will improve by next season but I'm not holding my breath...

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

The fact Derrick Pouliot put up 22 points with

- poor defensive partners most of the season.(minus stint with Edler on off side)

- Limited pp opportunity (30 secs a pp?)

- Well battling confidence issues from scratches (in his first full NHL season)

I believe this says a lot about his potential.  I believe Pouliot with the right off season and partner feasibly can reach 35+ points with consistent ice time. 

None of this take him out and put him back in.  Paired with Chris Tanev I feel he could help Tanev stay healthy by doing more of the zone exits and Tanev could help him in the defensive zone.

The biggest knock im seeing on here is Pouliot was getting beat in his own end. Tanev as a partner would reduce that and help Pouliot transition the puck quicker and provide his team more opportunities to create.

If Juolevi starts in the AHL it is an easy decision. If he starts in the NHL i would like to see Juolevi and Stecher as a tandom. Rarely doesn't Stecher getting pinned in and his work ethic could help get Juolevi the puck for quick exits.  

Pouliot has to have a big season but I don't see why he can build on his 22 point season when he had limited opportunity.  Stick him with Tanev and he will be a + player instead of -20 something.

• Cheers 1

On 5/16/2018 at 9:33 AM, kloubek said:

I agree with you that the common issue between both is conditioning and dedication to the craft.  I am certain both players would be better if they had better focus on making themselves better and working as hard as they can.

However, I think this rings true more for Hutton than Pouliot.  While both require exactly what you are saying, Hutton does not have that high-end potential whatsoever.  At best, he's a mid pairing all-around defenseman.  Pouliot, on the other hand, has a higher ceiling that he could realize with that proper training and dedication.  

Regrettably, I don't expect either to reach their ceilings.  They are not young pups anymore, and if they were going to "get it", presume they would have done so by now.  I'm hopeful one or both will improve by next season but I'm not holding my breath...

I agree and don't expect either to truly reach their potential. However, everyone always says D-men don't reach their prime or full potential until 27. Pouliot is 24, if he keeps progressing as well as he did this season (compared to previous years in PIT), I can see him still reaching his offensive potential.

On 5/16/2018 at 8:52 AM, Alflives said:

wow how do you know all this ?

you running surveillance on this guy?

may i please see his cardio reports and bmi results?

are his bowel movements regular? please update asap

:wub:

Edited by coastal.view

9 hours ago, coastal.view said:

wow how do you know all this ?

you running surveillance on this guy?

may i please see his cardio reports and bmi results?

are his bowel movements regular? please update asap

:wub:

I think you can see that in his game.  Some of the moves he makes (or at least attempts) suggests high end potential. Skill is required to make these moves, and hockey IQ to even think of it on the fly.  So once you set aside skill and hockey IQ then it comes down to physical ability and mental push. Physical ability can be tuned through hard work and dedication at the gym, so at the end of the day it really comes down to mental push.  Push to better your body to be in top condition and push to sacrifice your body to make the play.  

Unfortunately, Pouliot hasn't found that dedication to the game yet. 

But anyway, I don't think there is any reason to harp on someone for stating their opinion.  The above is my own opinion, but that's all it is.

On 5/16/2018 at 8:52 AM, Alflives said:

In my view, Hutton's issues had little to do with diet/training/fitness and everything to do with his on-ice intensity.  You could see it in his play on the ice - he's way to casual out there and despite having the tool-kit as they say, he refused to use it in the way Green expected him to.  Twice after Green sat him for extended periods this season he came back with very inspired games where he played with urgency, physicality, and intensity.  Sadly, this didn't last long and he quickly went back to playing his soft, lackadaisical game and found himself in the press-box yet again.  Some people out there may argue that diet/training/fitness is in some way linked to on-ice intensity but imo they'd be incorrect. 

Pouliot on the other hand strikes me as the classic case of a player who's always had the game come very easy to him at every previous level.  Now that the game isn't coming as easy for him (because the overall skill level in the NHL is so high on every team),  he's had some challenges to overcome and he's not known necessarily how to tackle that.  This is, in my view, where a quality coaching staff can make all the difference in the world.  People quickly forget that this was Pouliot's first FULL NHL season (where he played the entire year at the NHL level) and he's just 24yo.  He has a lot of development left ahead of him but it remains to be seen if 1.  He'll put in the work to achieve his full potential (which is quite considerable imo) and 2.  If the coaching/training staff in Vancouver is capable of guiding him to his full potential. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

In my view, Hutton's issues had little to do with diet/training/fitness and everything to do with his on-ice intensity.  You could see it in his play on the ice - he's way to casual out there and despite having the tool-kit as they say, he refused to use it in the way Green expected him to.  Twice after Green sat him for extended periods this season he came back with very inspired games where he played with urgency, physicality, and intensity.  Sadly, this didn't last long and he quickly went back to playing his soft, lackadaisical game and found himself in the press-box yet again.  Some people out there may argue that diet/training/fitness is in some way linked to on-ice intensity but imo they'd be incorrect. 

Pouliot on the other hand strikes me as the classic case of a player who's always had the game come very easy to him at every previous level.  Now that the game isn't coming as easy for him (because the overall skill level in the NHL is so high on every team),  he's had some challenges to overcome and he's not known necessarily how to tackle that.  This is, in my view, where a quality coaching staff can make all the difference in the world.  People quickly forget that this was Pouliot's first FULL NHL season (where he played the entire year at the NHL level) and he's just 24yo.  He has a lot of development left ahead of him but it remains to be seen if 1.  He'll put in the work to achieve his full potential (which is quite considerable imo) and 2.  If the coaching/training staff in Vancouver is capable of guiding him to his full potential. 

Excellent analysis. 

10 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Green wants to play an up tempo high energy brand of hockey.  In much the same way as Vegas does.  Gallant is a similar type of coach as Green.  To your point, Green can see up close how able Hutton is to play the style that he wants the team to play.  If he lacks intensity, maybe it's because he is unable to keep up the pace.  We know that players are usually only really able to make big strides in their fitness during the off season.

I think you're right about some players who have been able to excel at lower levels of hockey with a certain work ethic which would include fitness and skill development.  These players must comply with the group norms that Green is trying to establish if they want to stick with the team.  

I think that this is part of the adjustment process to the new Coach and culture.  We'll see in camp how well they have adjusted.

On 12/6/2017 at 4:49 PM, darkpoet said:

I made another one for you guys.
Another classic! .... 5 seconds left in game 7 vs. Flames in 2004 WCQF and Cooke scores... 

Use it at will  :towel:

6R9A79.gif

even my wife was a hockey fan in that moment, watching jovo jump around like a monkey!