The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot | #5 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I imagine the conversation is the same over in the Goldobin thread?

These young guys are playing well enough to earn a chance. Add speed, some skill to our line up. 

And CDC is mocking what their opinion of a top line forward, top pair D is against how these guys are doing. Disappointing!

When in fact these guys, not perfect and all, are helping our team. And our team is doing better than expected. Without these guys getting any respect due, credit, or even appreciation.

Disappointing.

Pouliot is a tire fire in terms of coughing up the puck.  

Nice try.

• Upvote 2

Pouliot hasnt looked  good since he got here

green overplaying him isn’t making it better

pouliout could be waived tomorrow leave and much like Gagne know body would miss him or notice he’s missing

he’s a #8 depth dman and even that’s being extremely generous

Once Edler is healthy it would be nice to see them provide opportunity for some of the deserving Utica D (prospects) to give them a feel for the NHL game and gauge where they are in their development.  I wouldn't mind seeing Pouliot sent down/waived or traded if possible -  I know - and some of the young D given a look. I'm fairly certain Del Zotto will be gone by the deadline anyways.

I also hope they send Gaudette down for more ice time once Sutter and Beagle are back.  He could use some confidence and minutes.  I want them to rotate some forwards in - Mcewen for one maybe Dahlen and Jasek - to see where they are at as well.  This is the year to do it.

Edited by Borvat
  • Upvote 4

16 hours ago, Borvat said:

Once Edler is healthy it would be nice to see them provide opportunity for some of the deserving Utica D (prospects) to give them a feel for the NHL game and gauge where they are in their development.  I wouldn't mind seeing Pouliot sent down/waived or traded if possible -  I know - and some of the young D given a look. I'm fairly certain Del Zotto will be gone by the deadline anyways.

I also hope they send Gaudette down for more ice time once Sutter and Beagle are back.  He could use some confidence and minutes.  I want them to rotate some forwards in - Mcewen for one maybe Dahlen and Jasek - to see where they are at as well.  This is the year to do it.

I generally agree with you. IMHO this was a development year but EP40 kinda grabbed the team and took over. I am not that upset if the status quo continues and the prospects start rotating thru after X-Mass. It gives them a good 40 games in the AHL. Play a few NHL games and then back to Utica to wind the season up strongly. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I generally agree with you. IMHO this was a development year but EP40 kinda grabbed the team and took over. I am not that upset if the status quo continues and the prospects start rotating thru after X-Mass. It gives them a good 40 games in the AHL. Play a few NHL games and then back to Utica to wind the season up strongly. 

I am in agreement with what you're saying Boudrias

I am a little confused with Green's adoration for Pouliot (Poulet). So Green throws him on the PP and he has 3 points in total, while Hutton has 7, Stecher has 6, and Gudbranson has 7, all with no PP time? Pouliot has 1 PP  point...…"1" pt......Biega has "1" PP pt...……...Hutton and Edler have 3 PP pts each.

I am at a loss, for a guy having the most PP ice time and 4th in total ice time……….I don't think there is any value in our present position...……..if he has more PP assists, which he has none, I might change my mind, but this experiment has gone on long enough...…...

Maybe he is just a filler for the year, but I don't see any other value.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am in agreement with what you're saying Boudrias

I am a little confused with Green's adoration for Pouliot (Poulet). So Green throws him on the PP and he has 3 points in total, while Hutton has 7, Stecher has 6, and Gudbranson has 7, all with no PP time? Pouliot has 1 PP  point...…"1" pt......Biega has "1" PP pt...……...Hutton and Edler have 3 PP pts each.

I am at a loss, for a guy having the most PP ice time and 4th in total ice time……….I don't think there is any value in our present position...……..if he has more PP assists, which he has none, I might change my mind, but this experiment has gone on long enough...…...

Maybe he is just a filler for the year, but I don't see any other value.

Pouliot is a head scratcher. Above average skater but he seems to read the play a half second late. He had a high end expectation during his draft year. Green had him in Junior I believe. There might be a psych side that Green thinks he can rein enforce. He only has about 160 NHL games and last year was his first season with +60 games. I guess I look at who's ice he is taking if playing him is shorting someone else. Since I am happy to see the prospects stay in the AHL until January I am OK with playing him in hopes he has a break through. Everyone was prepared to trade Hutton for a bag of pucks last spring. 

I mentioned in the EP thread that Van is evolving into that time line of being able to deal off players they do not see in their future. As the team amps up their offense the stats spread out might entice offers. Pouliot isn't there yet but might be by the TDL if that is how it shakes out.   

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Just here to say I stand behind Pouliot

Good someone needs to cover for his giveaways...:rolleyes:

I'm rooting for him too. It's been hard to defend his play recently tho. He started the year off well. He's probably tired like the rest of this young team. It takes time to condition young players into the long grind of the NHL schedule. Look no further than Hutton he looks like he's highly tuned pro out there, so there is hope!

I would play Biega over him.  Biega hustles, makes fewer mistakes.  Isn't afraid to hit for his size.  He may not have the offensive skills that Green THINKS Pouliot has, which we are waiting to see, but he, in my opinion is less of a liability on the ice.  Might be good for Pouliot to sit for a few games.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I was on pouliot's side in the beginning, but he has quickly become a train wreck every game. I don't get how Green still believes he is doing good. Green just doesn't seem to be that stupid. our pp sucks because of goldy and pouliet. until Boeser comes back, green needs to try someone else, anyone else. it is just too painful to watch the way it is.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, bree2 said:

I was on pouliot's side in the beginning, but he has quickly become a train wreck every game. I don't get how Green still believes he is doing good. Green just doesn't seem to be that stupid. our pp sucks because of goldy and pouliet. until Boeser comes back, green needs to try someone else, anyone else. it is just too painful to watch the way it is.

just a lack of choices right now I'd imagine. He is playing himself off the pp, maybe the team, we'll see. I could see Juolevi being called up to take his place after Christmas. 

• Upvote 1

Haven’t really been a fan of Pouliot. And honestly haven’t seen him play much this season. But he’s still fairly young defenseman right? 24? That’s still young for a defenseman in the NHL. And like Bärtschi. He really didn’t get his full season until quite older. So maybe he just needs some time. Hutton turned it around and he’s doing really great this season. Maybe Pouliot can do the same? 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

just a lack of choices right now I'd imagine. He is playing himself off the pp, maybe the team, we'll see. I could see Juolevi being called up to take his place after Christmas. 

I’m not convinced about Juolevi taking Pouliot’s place after Christmas. From reports of Juolevi’s play down in AHL. He’s been producing well offensively. But it’s his defensive play that still needs work. Bringing him up when his defensive positioning and play isn’t good is only going to cause confidence issues when the NHL will Absolutely expose him. In my opinion. Let him spend the year with a few call ups here and there throughout the year to give him a taste of the pace of the NHL. 

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Good someone needs to cover for his giveaways...:rolleyes:

I'm rooting for him too. It's been hard to defend his play recently tho. He started the year off well. He's probably tired like the rest of this young team. It takes time to condition young players into the long grind of the NHL schedule. Look no further than Hutton he looks like he's highly tuned pro out there, so there is hope!

Also doesn't help that he, like most of the team, is being forced to play WAY over their heads at the moment due to injuries.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Also doesn't help that he, like most of the team, is being forced to play WAY over their heads at the moment due to injuries.

Maybe this is the reason for his poor play? Playing too much above what he’s supposed to? More minutes than he’s able to take usually leads to being more tired. And being more tired does usually mean more mistakes. And he’s been making a lot of them, no? 

16 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Haven’t really been a fan of Pouliot. And honestly haven’t seen him play much this season. But he’s still fairly young defenseman right? 24? That’s still young for a defenseman in the NHL. And like Bärtschi. He really didn’t get his full season until quite older. So maybe he just needs some time. Hutton turned it around and he’s doing really great this season. Maybe Pouliot can do the same? 

Then how can you comment on him? He has been a train wreck.

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Maybe this is the reason for his poor play? Playing too much above what he’s supposed to? More minutes than he’s able to take usually leads to being more tired. And being more tired does usually mean more mistakes. And he’s been making a lot of them, no? 

Maybe?

I think it's pretty obviously one of the main reasons both he and the rest of the team have been struggling the last couple weeks. We're injured with a HUGE group of key, minute eating and/or skilled players out, forcing guys to play more minutes and harder situations than they're either ready for and/or their skill level would normally dictate and with less help around them.

Add to that a travel heavy away schedule where the opponents more often than not dictate match ups and you get the last couple weeks.

This team DESPERATELY needs some healthy bodies back sooner than later to even catch it's fall, let alone get back to where it was pre-injuries. Even with reinforcements the guys who've been playing over their heads are likely going to have a rough fall back/exhaustion/be more prone to injuries themselves, etc, etc.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Then how can you comment on him? He has been a train wreck.

He's supposed to be a complimentary 6/7 D. Guess what happens when you force that guy in to the top 4 with equally very little support around him because of all the other injuries?

18 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I’m not convinced about Juolevi taking Pouliot’s place after Christmas. From reports of Juolevi’s play down in AHL. He’s been producing well offensively. But it’s his defensive play that still needs work. Bringing him up when his defensive positioning and play isn’t good is only going to cause confidence issues when the NHL will Absolutely expose him. In my opinion. Let him spend the year with a few call ups here and there throughout the year to give him a taste of the pace of the NHL. 

depends on how fast he progresses - it sounds like he's doing well to me (OJ talk with Cull starts around 10:20 https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/cull-juolevi-exceeding-expectations-in-utica-1.1196814)

but if he needs the full year in Utica thats fine too, I'll just have look away when Pouliot is on the PP